1/72 Gloster Gauntlet

1/72 Gloster Gauntlet

March 4th, 2012, 12:14 pm #1

Hi all,
This is my AZ Models 1/72 Gloster Gauntlet, the Gladiator's predecessor.
It´s a very detailed kit, but has a problem that makes it not suitable for beginners: inter wings struts are too short and no way to properly position the upper wing. The only solution was to replace them with Contrail aerodynamic profile ones. It's a bit annoying because instead of having four struts as many biplanes it takes eight .
The rigging is stretched sprue.
The kit depicts a Gauntlet of 112 Squadron at RAF Helwan (Egypt) in 1940. The colors are dark and light earth and sky blue below. All camouflage is done by freehand airbrush.

In these first two images you can see the new struts that replace the model ones:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
Last edited by Relojero on March 4th, 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2012, 1:37 pm #2

Beautiful work on this little flyer. Thanks for posting.

March 4th, 2012, 2:40 pm #3

Hi all,
It´s a very detailed kit, but has a problem that makes it not suitable for beginners: inter wings struts are too short and no way to properly position the upper wing. The only solution was to replace them with Contrail aerodynamic profile ones. It's a bit annoying because instead of having four struts as many biplanes it takes eight .
The kit depicts a Gauntlet of 112 Squadron at RAF Helwan (Egypt) in 1940. The colors are dark and light earth and sky blue below. All camouflage is done by freehand airbrush.

In these first two images you can see the new struts that replace the model ones:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
Superb in every way. Bravo!

Stuart

March 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm #4

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
So beautifuly done, very very nice paint work and nice rigging.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

March 4th, 2012, 3:31 pm #5

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
Wonderful choice of subject, excellent craftsmanship, beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

March 4th, 2012, 4:27 pm #6

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
I'm not a plastic kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

March 4th, 2012, 8:01 pm #7

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
I tried to replace struts on a Nimrod, much as you did here and failed miserably. My hat off to ya' for hanging tough.

Last edited by dobarton on March 4th, 2012, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2012, 8:02 pm #8

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
absolute awesome rigging job for 1/72! like it very much

March 5th, 2012, 2:31 am #9

Hi all,

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And the finished model:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

José A. Granado
with the wings attached? brush?

March 5th, 2012, 10:43 pm #10

The brush does not leave soft edges.
I did it with the airbrush and taking a little care. If there was no space between the wings I had used blu tack or similar.

José A. Granado