1/72 F-86D/L decals, does anyone make

1/72 F-86D/L decals, does anyone make

December 26th, 2011, 4:22 am #1

markings for the 354th FIS.

The unit badge which is what I am specifically looking for is a triangle/shield with a bulldog charging in front of the Statue of Liberty.

The only two aircraft that wore this badge were the F-94C's and F-86L's..
I am not sure if they were D's or L's.

I know the marking do not exist for the F-94 in decal form, so I was hoping for a slim chance of Sabre Dog markings.
All I need is a decal for the unit badge in 1/72.

Sincerely
Scotty B
Last edited by mrcockpit on December 27th, 2011, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 26th, 2011, 10:15 pm #2

http://www.dm.af.mil/art/mediagallery.a ... 1&count=48

Free from our friends at D-M.

E-mail me, I make my own decals.

Jim

Retirement is so great, I don't know why I didn't start 20 years ago.
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

December 27th, 2011, 12:02 am #3

The unit badge which is what I am specifically looking for is a triangle/shield with a bulldog charging in front of the Statue of Liberty.

I know the marking do not exist for the F-94 in decal form, so I was hoping for a slim chance of Sabre Dog markings.

Sincerely
Scotty B
The insignia for the 354th FIS was triangular in shape at the time they were operating the F-86D and the F-94C. Attached is an image of the unit's patch.

December 27th, 2011, 7:03 am #4

Google Images was NOT my friend here.

Jim

Retirement is so great, I don't know why I didn't start 20 years ago.
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

December 27th, 2011, 10:51 am #5

Sincerely
Scotty B
Scottie,

I just looked through my old decal stash with no luck. Tomorrow I'll check my Special Hobby F-86L kit and see what markings are included.

Cheers,
Don

December 27th, 2011, 9:41 pm #6

Sincerely
Scotty B
...by Special Hobby [kit no. SH72144] has F-86L markings for the California ANG, 49th FIS and the 83rd FIS.
--Bill

December 27th, 2011, 10:20 pm #7

have to choose other markings for my F-94 since the Skylancer decals are garbage and screwed up.

So much for their claim for accuracy.

Thanks Bill and others.

Scotty B

December 28th, 2011, 1:56 am #8

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the 354th FIS markings on the Sky Lancer sheet but it's interesting to note the unit had significantly different markings on their F-94's. I believe Dave Menard is on this group, hopefully he can help explain why. First image, via Wikiepedia, of a 354th F-94 has some nice markings while the second image, via Google, has more colorful markings. Both have the insignia of the 354th FIS.

Steve

December 28th, 2011, 12:18 pm #9

...Scotty B's threads started on the 19th and 25th, plus the great posts & pix that followed, and now Steve's really nice color shots have clinched it...first up at my workbench in '12 [Good Lord willing] is gonna be something from the F-80/T-33/F-94 family or an F-89D/H/J--can't really do an F-89C in 1:72 because the Hobbycraft F-89C nose is way to straight-cone in shape for my limited skills to fix [it should be kind of "curve-cone" to the nose]
Thanks for gettin' me on track, fellas.
--Bill
...an aftermarket corrected F-89C nose would be a great aid to '50s jet modellers, would it not?...

December 28th, 2011, 12:26 pm #10

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the 354th FIS markings on the Sky Lancer sheet but it's interesting to note the unit had significantly different markings on their F-94's. I believe Dave Menard is on this group, hopefully he can help explain why. First image, via Wikiepedia, of a 354th F-94 has some nice markings while the second image, via Google, has more colorful markings. Both have the insignia of the 354th FIS.

Steve
on my 1/72 F-94C..

I just needed the unit badge as I could mask everything else off and paint it.

Skylancer didn't do the 354th stuff. But the markings they did do for the F-94's are not accurate and I cannot understand why.

Skylancer even quotes sources they used and the color pictures in said sources are plain and clear.

Why they mixed up colors on their sheet is unclear. Given these mistakes I will have to check all of my other Skylancer sheets and hope he got it right on the other sheets.

Sincerely
Scotty B