1/48 scale Kittyhawk vs. Hawk inner upper wings?

1/48 scale Kittyhawk vs. Hawk inner upper wings?

October 16th, 2016, 4:57 pm #1

Hi all,

Does anyone here have both the Kittyhawk and the old Hawk kits of the Banshee? I am no expert on the Banshee but for me the Kittyhawk wing root would have to be fixed or never built. Still, I wonder if the Hawk inner, upper wing could be fairly easily adapted to the Kittyhawk kit? I can see that work on the upper fuselage/wing roots would be needed, but this sounds like a fix that most of us (who are interested) could handle. If you have both kits I'd enjoy seeing the bits together to see if this is feasible or merely a pipe dream!

Thanks, Jim
Last edited by jkiker on October 16th, 2016, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 16th, 2016, 5:32 pm #2

Working on the KH Banshee now. Here's some comparison pix. A lot of plastic would have to be removed from the Hawk wing to even get close to try it. Not what I want to do on a Sunday.

Sure, the KH wing is too bulged, but, to me, it's not worth the effort to attempt a fix. It will look like a Banshee to me after it's together.

October 16th, 2016, 7:18 pm #3

Based on your first two pictures, it is hard to believe that Kitty Hawk and Hawk were modeling the same aircraft.

In the first photograph (of the lower wing) the engine nacelle shapes and their spatial relationship to the wheel wells are completely different. However, neither the Ginter nor Squadron publication provides an accurate drawing of the underside so it is not clear which is more correct.

On the Hawk, the top of the engine nacelles is more like the 1:1 aircraft, but the kit is "see through" with no intake trunking or engine, and there seems little hope the Kitty Hawk details could be adapted.

The Ginter publication (Naval Fighters #2) has good head-on pictures of the intakes on page 13 and page 74. Based on your second picture of the kits, both missed badly in this area. I give the Hawk kit a pass (tooling from over 60 years ago), but Kitty Hawk should have done a better job.

October 16th, 2016, 7:36 pm #4

The Hawk kit definately has the better intake/center section, but I'm plowing through. I had a problem with the fighter nose, the gun door panels didn't fit too well and had a sunken effect along with some glue melting, so ripped them off and will do the photo bird.

One thing you have to do is reinforce all the joints with sheet styrene, in this case .020, because the gluing surfaces and tabs, like in the F-94 and Cougar, are minimal.

October 16th, 2016, 8:05 pm #5

Bob -- excellent progress photos, and thanks for the tip regarding reinforcement of the joins.

I hesitated to scan the Ginter photos due to copyright issues. However, I unearthed my own intake pictures of the F2H-2P at Pensacola.

Last edited by dvsun on October 16th, 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 16th, 2016, 10:11 pm #6

Working on the KH Banshee now. Here's some comparison pix. A lot of plastic would have to be removed from the Hawk wing to even get close to try it. Not what I want to do on a Sunday.

Sure, the KH wing is too bulged, but, to me, it's not worth the effort to attempt a fix. It will look like a Banshee to me after it's together.

That head-on shot reminds me of the Flying Sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Hey, maybe that can be used. Just kidding the Flying Sub is even more bulged.

October 17th, 2016, 1:22 am #7

Hi all,

Does anyone here have both the Kittyhawk and the old Hawk kits of the Banshee? I am no expert on the Banshee but for me the Kittyhawk wing root would have to be fixed or never built. Still, I wonder if the Hawk inner, upper wing could be fairly easily adapted to the Kittyhawk kit? I can see that work on the upper fuselage/wing roots would be needed, but this sounds like a fix that most of us (who are interested) could handle. If you have both kits I'd enjoy seeing the bits together to see if this is feasible or merely a pipe dream!

Thanks, Jim
And it helps. It doesn't fix the problem, but makes it look a little better. Other than the shape problems, i am also disappointed in the kit engineering. Some real head scratchers that make the kit way harder than it needs to be.

Corey

Area that has been sanded

October 17th, 2016, 4:42 pm #8

That head on shot really shows how badly wrong they got it.