1/48 Sanger Sally

1/48 Sanger Sally

May 26th, 2012, 9:54 pm #1

I'm having fun with this. This is my third vacu-form I've ever attempted...I've never finished one. I always thought Sally's were sleek looking in a full bodied sort of way (I know some girls like that...) Kit is not too bad. Thick strong plastic makes it workable. The panel lines range from OK to shallow and uneven. Fuselage is out of round on the nose as is the port engine naselle. The bottom of the left wing was 1/8" too narrow in cord and too short in length, which throws off the engraved control surfaces and panel lines. I guess you can't get to excited about that, these kits are hand made after all. Toughest part of the build is getting everything square and aligned (oh, and the bad clear parts I rebuilt). Anyway, long weekend ahead with some serious building fun in the plans!

May 26th, 2012, 10:56 pm #2

I have that one in the stash too, and it's encouraging to see that some elbow grease will result in a nice model. Love your interior work! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

May 27th, 2012, 12:03 am #3

Gil...it really is fun. Let me know if you need a set of canopies for yours. I've gone to a lot of work to get those right. The model is technically unbuildable because there is no nose canopy. Other than that, not too bad.

May 27th, 2012, 1:30 am #4

I'm having fun with this. This is my third vacu-form I've ever attempted...I've never finished one. I always thought Sally's were sleek looking in a full bodied sort of way (I know some girls like that...) Kit is not too bad. Thick strong plastic makes it workable. The panel lines range from OK to shallow and uneven. Fuselage is out of round on the nose as is the port engine naselle. The bottom of the left wing was 1/8" too narrow in cord and too short in length, which throws off the engraved control surfaces and panel lines. I guess you can't get to excited about that, these kits are hand made after all. Toughest part of the build is getting everything square and aligned (oh, and the bad clear parts I rebuilt). Anyway, long weekend ahead with some serious building fun in the plans!

My hat is off to you.

- Grant
IPMS Toronto

May 27th, 2012, 4:16 am #5

Whose engines did you use?? I have the kit and am slowly collecting some aftermarket for it. I have True details cockpit set for the Betty, which was pretty much the predecessor aircraft from Mitsubishi, and a pair of engines from Dimitri.
I would like to find a set of resin wheels-any suggestions??
The clear parts in the kit look pretty weak, did you make a set of moulds and vac-u-form your own??

Bill Shuey

May 27th, 2012, 4:17 am #6

what are the odds that about the time you finish this kit Hasegawa or Tamiya will anounce an injected kit??

Bill Shuey

May 27th, 2012, 4:52 am #7

Whose engines did you use?? I have the kit and am slowly collecting some aftermarket for it. I have True details cockpit set for the Betty, which was pretty much the predecessor aircraft from Mitsubishi, and a pair of engines from Dimitri.
I would like to find a set of resin wheels-any suggestions??
The clear parts in the kit look pretty weak, did you make a set of moulds and vac-u-form your own??

Bill Shuey
William, I'm using a pair of DO-17z wheels which are the correct size and look very similar. As for the clear parts, I made a plaster casting of the kit parts and then added copper foil framing. This was then sealed with Future, primed, and then Futured again. I have now finished vacu-forming the parts (took several tries to get them right). One thing about the Sally...it looks rather harmless. I wanted all the guns hanging out and the bomb bay open to sort of dispel that impression. I will fit the bomb bay with Tru Details Japanese 250 KG bombs (they are actually Navy bombs, but they are easily converted). Oh, and the engines came from a pair of Otaki Ki-44s in the salvage pile.

May 27th, 2012, 5:55 am #8

...I mean is...a work of art. Please keep posting!!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

May 27th, 2012, 3:25 pm #9

Best one I have seen!! What scheme are you going to use?

"Never run out of airspeed,altitude and ideas all at the same time" Pilots Creed

May 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm #10

n/t