1/48 Revell F-15C

1/48 Revell F-15C

September 4th, 2011, 3:22 am #1

Can you tell me if the quality of the Revell 1/48 F-15C compares to Hasegawa? Is it worth the money and can you ghet resin sets for it?

September 4th, 2011, 4:04 am #2

It's the circa 1979 Monogram kit. Fit has always been an issue in places, and it has (HORRORS!) raised panel lines. But overall it's still considered the most accurately shaped single seat F-15 kit in 1/48.

Is it worth the money? That's entirely your call. It can be had pretty cheaply in its old Monogram guise (I've seen them for $5 at shows).

I don't know of any resin specifically for that kit, since it was more or less eclipsed in most peoples' minds by the somewhat (6 years) newer Hasegawa kit with (oooh... ahhh) scribed panel detail. AFAIK all existing resin has been made for that kit.

September 4th, 2011, 7:19 am #3

Can you tell me if the quality of the Revell 1/48 F-15C compares to Hasegawa? Is it worth the money and can you ghet resin sets for it?
Hasegawa F-15A-D:
-Tooling is crisp with recessed surface detail overall
-Fit overall is decent, except for the intakes and fore to main fuselage
-Overall accurate F-15 shape profile, except for the exaggerated upper engine bulges. The transition of the bulges the center fuselage is a bit abrupt; though not near as bad as the Academy kit
-Canopy is quite accurate with the proper blown cross section
-Option for full run Intakes provided
-The standard issue feathered Exhausts are inaccurate with too many turkey feathers
-Featherless Exhaust (later issue kits) are well detailed for box stock
-Cockpit detail is decent, clean, and sharp, though the consoles ride too high; ditto the instrument panel.
-ACES II Ejection seat is void of plausible detail; best replaced
-Standard kit Landing Gear is weak in detail, but the Hi-Grade issue kits have highly detailed metal gear; the best in the scale
-All F-15A-D kits come with the later "C" model type wheels, which are not all that accurate
-External Fuel tanks are not properly shaped
-No MISP or later updates like LAU-128 & Adapters, offered in any current issue kits

Monogram F-15A/C
-Tooling is a bit soft with raised panel line detail
-Fit overall all is rough and requires quite a bit of clean up
-Aside from the canopy, the shape of Monogram's F-15 is spot on (best in 48th), though the nose is a bit blunt. The upper engine bulges have the proper blended contour
-The flat, non-blown canopy is a significant detractor from the F-15's aesthetics
-Both the Monogram feather and non-feathered Exhaust are poorly done
-Cockpit has more detail over Hasegawa, but it's a bit soft and has raised panel lines instead of the proper recessed segmentations for each console box
-The ACESS II seat is poorly done and is best replaced.
-No provisions for full run intakes, but intake plugs are provided
-Landing gear is well detailed, but unfortunately it's over scaled
-All F-15A/C kits come with the early "A" model type wheels, which accurate in hub detail, but the wheel/tires are too wide
-External Fuel tanks are correct in shape
-No MISP or later updates like LAU-128 & Adapters, offered in any current issue kits

Hasegawa is the best overall 48th F-15A-D, though the Monogram kit is a close and respectable second. It comes down to what inaccuracies and fit issues you are willing to deal with. Price will also come into play as current Hasegawa F-15A-D kits are ridiculously overpriced these days; $60-$80! I have no problem finding second hand Hasegawa F-15s for less than a third of the current retail!

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

Some people just don't get it - "apologist

September 4th, 2011, 5:03 pm #4

Thanks Mike -- that's a good list. I'm sitting here with both kits and your observations are spot-on. Do you think it muight be worth it to try to graft the Monogram upper aft engine area onto the Hasegawa kit? Also, I seem to recall the Hasegawa kit having a shape issue along the underside of the forward nose area. The parts look good to me and seem to match the Monogram parts, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Thanks,
Jim

September 4th, 2011, 5:56 pm #5

In addition to everything else that has been listed, Monogram got the speedbrake and well right, nobody else has. If you are going to graft, I'd graft that part too.

Personally, I have a Hasegawa F-15C under construction, but I plan on saving my best effort for the Monogram kit and cannibalizing a Hasegawa kit for the canopy and some other parts. The raised panel lines are actually "correct" for any non-removable panel as they simulate the PR1750 sealant that oozes from between the panels.

Minor nits: Hasegawa molded a "lip" around the gun gas vents that should not be there, and panel 9R (third large avionics panel back on the right side of the forward fuselage) is not the right shape, they scribed it the same as 9L, which is shorter to accommodate the retractable steps. 9R should butt 6R.

Todd Enlund

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

September 4th, 2011, 8:53 pm #6

Thanks Mike -- that's a good list. I'm sitting here with both kits and your observations are spot-on. Do you think it muight be worth it to try to graft the Monogram upper aft engine area onto the Hasegawa kit? Also, I seem to recall the Hasegawa kit having a shape issue along the underside of the forward nose area. The parts look good to me and seem to match the Monogram parts, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Thanks,
Jim
or really that noticable like the Academy kit and certainly not worth a Monogram graft.
The Hasey F-15 underside shape issue is slight ands hardly noticable. Another trivial issue is that Hasegawa scribed in the Probe cover smudge outlines, but these are easily filled.

Mike V

"I am a "Realist". I see and call things as they are, not how I want them to be."

September 4th, 2011, 9:54 pm #7

It's the circa 1979 Monogram kit. Fit has always been an issue in places, and it has (HORRORS!) raised panel lines. But overall it's still considered the most accurately shaped single seat F-15 kit in 1/48.

Is it worth the money? That's entirely your call. It can be had pretty cheaply in its old Monogram guise (I've seen them for $5 at shows).

I don't know of any resin specifically for that kit, since it was more or less eclipsed in most peoples' minds by the somewhat (6 years) newer Hasegawa kit with (oooh... ahhh) scribed panel detail. AFAIK all existing resin has been made for that kit.
nt

September 5th, 2011, 12:08 am #8

So the revell 1/48 F-15E is a different kit altogether. It appears to be a very good kit as I have one that I am going to build.....this is better then the revell F-15C?

September 5th, 2011, 12:55 am #9

The current Revell F-15C is the old Monogram kit reboxed. Its ok but not stellar. Its not bad for the price. Revell actually had their own kit wayyyyyyyy back that had markings for the Streak Eagle. But thats not a good kit at all.

Revell's F-15E is the ex ProModeller kit and was also sold by Revell Germany. It has nothing to do with the old Monogram C kit, and is very very good. Most issues do not come with underwing stores, so you will need to come up wtih those on your own.

September 5th, 2011, 1:20 am #10

So the revell 1/48 F-15E is a different kit altogether. It appears to be a very good kit as I have one that I am going to build.....this is better then the revell F-15C?
but can only be built as an early F-15E; not a C or D OOTB.
The Monogram (and late revell isue) F-15C is an old and separate tooling.