1/48 F9F Panther corrected canopy... at last ! bis...

1/48 F9F Panther corrected canopy... at last ! bis...

July 29th, 2007, 10:40 am #1

Hi Folks!

Come on guys ! I tought you were interested in Panthers!
Don't you need these canopies?

One of the more discussed shorcomings of the 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2 was the wrong canopy. I was sure that the cottage industry will follow shortly and give us improved replacement parts... So did Teknics, Pavla and more recently Lonestar. We got wings, tanks, flaps, noses,gear bays,etc... but no canopy !
I was so frustrated that I decided to do something about it: I made a master and looked for someone to produce it.
As I live in Belgium, I was happy to find that PJ Production would agree to do so.
The most difficult thing is to glue the clear parts without damaging them. I decided to make the windscreen as per the real thing, so it will be easier to glue and blend with the rest of the fuselage.
So, I took one sample of the finished product, and prepared it to see how it fits. I first masked it and sprayed a coat of Mister Surfacer, wich helped me a lot to see where to cut.This was done with a few light strokes using a regular hobby knife. It took me just minutes. The kit's fuselage was also cut: very easy to do !
And you know what ? It fits the Revell/Monogram F9F-5 too !
And if Hobbycraft doesn't screw up his Cougar, I can't see why it won't fit it either !
Available at PJ Production and Hannant's.
Here it is, comments welcome
Henri V.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by Bompa on July 30th, 2007, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good work Henri!!!

July 29th, 2007, 1:31 pm #2

NT

Panther stuff...

July 29th, 2007, 2:49 pm #3

Hi

Great news, the Panther is slowly coming together.
Ever since I was a small boy I wanted a nice Panther model. After all the hero of my youth, Rex Danny (Buck Danny) flew Panthers in his early adventures. I still love those comic books.
Does anybody if they were available world wide?

cheers

Nice job........

July 29th, 2007, 3:24 pm #4

Hi Folks!

One of the more discussed shorcomings of the 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2 was the wrong canopy. I was sure that the cottage industry will follow shortly and give us improved replacement parts... So did Teknics, Pavla and more recently Lonestar. We got wings, tanks, flaps, noses,gear bays,etc... but no canopy !
I was so frustrated that I decided to do something about it: I made a master and looked for someone to produce it.
As I live in Belgium, I was happy to find that PJ Production would agree to do so.
The most difficult thing is to glue the clear parts without damaging them. I decided to make the windscreen as per the real thing, so it will be easier to glue and blend with the rest of the fuselage.
So, I took one sample of the finished product, and prepared it to see how it fits. I first masked it and sprayed a coat of Mister Surfacer, wich helped me a lot to see where to cut.This was done with a few light strokes using a regular hobby knife. It took me just minutes. The kit's fuselage was also cut: very easy to do !
And if Hobbycraft doesn't screw up his Cougar, I can't see why it won't fit it either !
Henri V.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
cp

";0)

I had amnesia once -- maybe twice.

cLod Potluck
Last edited by oldthudman on July 29th, 2007, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buck Danny: my favourite !

July 29th, 2007, 3:25 pm #5

Hi

Great news, the Panther is slowly coming together.
Ever since I was a small boy I wanted a nice Panther model. After all the hero of my youth, Rex Danny (Buck Danny) flew Panthers in his early adventures. I still love those comic books.
Does anybody if they were available world wide?

cheers
I don't know where you're from, Uwe, but I confirm that here in Belgium Buck Danny was very popular in the 60 ies ...and still is today! You still can find all of his adventures at book stores.
And yes, his Panthers and the ones in the Bridges at Toko-Ri were always a source of inspiration to me !
I flew numerous mission alongside him from my 10 years old kid bed !
Cheers !
Henri (who should be working on his 1/48 Panther!)

Very good

August 1st, 2007, 3:17 am #6

Hi Folks!

Henri V.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I saw Your article and I just requested some sets for my Panther/Cougar projects. Very nice item . Good Luck .