1/48 ESCI A-1H

1/48 ESCI A-1H

May 19th, 2017, 2:51 pm #1

Recently I was offered a 1/48 ESCI A-1H. Has anyone built this kit? And how does it stack up vs. the Monogram and Tamiya A-1H kits?

Having never seen the ESCI A-1H I'm curious whether I should bite on this or not.

TIA for any and all advice!!!

May 19th, 2017, 2:55 pm #2

The ESCI kit 'looks' like a Skyraider... But Monogram and Tamiya are leaps and bounds over it...

AMT, Italeri, and Esci are all the same kit... Trash.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

May 19th, 2017, 3:17 pm #3

Recently I was offered a 1/48 ESCI A-1H. Has anyone built this kit? And how does it stack up vs. the Monogram and Tamiya A-1H kits?

Having never seen the ESCI A-1H I'm curious whether I should bite on this or not.

You can get the Monogram kit for a very reasonable price and it is far better than ESCI.

May 19th, 2017, 3:29 pm #4

The Esci kit isn't "horrible" but its the poorest of the A-1H kits out there and unless you just have to build one, the old Monogram and newer Tamiya kits are much better in every aspect.

May 19th, 2017, 6:18 pm #5

The ESCI A-1s have two major problems.

1. The engine cowling is seriously undersized. The Monogram and Matchbox A-1 cowlings are undersized too; the Matchbox is largest (least inaccurate), then the Monogram, then the ESCI (most inaccurate).

2. The center panel of the windscreen is curved, not flat. Only way to fix it is to cut that section out and replace it with clear flat styrene, a job which is not for everyone. (The canopy is curved to match it, too, instead of being flat on the upper front edge.) Squadron vac glass is useless as a fix, as it has framing molded between the center and side pieces, which is completely inaccurate.

The ESCI/AMT/Italeri -4 versions are the most interesting of the series, only because no one else makes a 1/48 -4 Skyraider, much less the cool -4W or -4N versions. Those are worth trying to fix, or at least can be used as valuable parts donors to convert a Tamiya if you want a -4 variant.

All that said, I have several ESCI/AMT Skyraiders in the Snakepit stash, and I'm planning to build at least a few of them someday, just to say I did. (And to show off, if I can figger out a fix for those two big visual problems.)

May 19th, 2017, 8:46 pm #6

I too had all of the ESCI A-1 skyraiders simply because at the time no one made all those variants. However as soon as the Tamiya kit came out I got rid of them and picked those up. I should have kept them but I thought Tamiya wold release those versions. Silly me I should know better. Maybe I will see if these pop up at any model shows and hopefully get them for some cheap prices so that I can use them for parts for the Tmaiya kit.

Cheers
Chris

May 19th, 2017, 11:15 pm #7

I do love the monogram kit, having built a few, and have a few more in the stash, gotta wonder how esci and monogram both screwed up the cowling size.
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

May 20th, 2017, 12:23 pm #8

The ESCI A-1s have two major problems.

1. The engine cowling is seriously undersized. The Monogram and Matchbox A-1 cowlings are undersized too; the Matchbox is largest (least inaccurate), then the Monogram, then the ESCI (most inaccurate).

2. The center panel of the windscreen is curved, not flat. Only way to fix it is to cut that section out and replace it with clear flat styrene, a job which is not for everyone. (The canopy is curved to match it, too, instead of being flat on the upper front edge.) Squadron vac glass is useless as a fix, as it has framing molded between the center and side pieces, which is completely inaccurate.

The ESCI/AMT/Italeri -4 versions are the most interesting of the series, only because no one else makes a 1/48 -4 Skyraider, much less the cool -4W or -4N versions. Those are worth trying to fix, or at least can be used as valuable parts donors to convert a Tamiya if you want a -4 variant.

All that said, I have several ESCI/AMT Skyraiders in the Snakepit stash, and I'm planning to build at least a few of them someday, just to say I did. (And to show off, if I can figger out a fix for those two big visual problems.)
Yes I know it's the station wagon version, yes, it's certainly lacking in details (the Cobra Company/Lonestar cockpit will help with that a bit)…
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

May 20th, 2017, 10:30 pm #9

Not a Tamiya kit or even a Monogram one but can be built into a nice model.

Frog and Canuck and proud to be