1/48 Catalina w/-6A conversion

September 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm #1

Monogram PBY with the Belcher Bits conversion:

The directions call for you to cut off the old tail, then join the fuselage halves and tail halves, then attach the tail to the fuselage. I've tried that with different kits and had trouble with mismatches, lots of sanding and filling.

So I tried joining each tail half to the fuselage halves, then putting the whole mess together. I still ended with a mismatch as the tail parts did not line up, and I didn't want to force things together and create a twist (bigger than the one now in my knickers).

I ended up glueing one tail to its fuselage half, then joined the fuselage together, lastly attaching the other tail part to that whole assembly. I was able to line up the tail halves, make sure the width of the replacement parts matched the fuselage, and only had one baddish gap to fill.

I also wanted to weight it, I dislike using props to hold up the tail, and it takes a LOT of weight. I don't normally go for aftermarket stuff, but some metal gear seemed like a good idea:

I did splurge on some Quickboost engines for it, that'll be a later post.

Very cool!!

September 10th, 2017, 2:08 pm #2

I too have been curious about the -6 conversion, because i want to convert a PBY-5 flying boat onto a Boeing PB2B-2.

Just so i can mess with peoples heads and start arguments.

Plus they had that unique application of the 3-tone scheme that the PBN Nomads had.

-d-

They're nice kits

September 12th, 2017, 12:02 am #3

I've used the Belcher bits to do a -4 already. It's not the surface quality of some of the bigger resin cos., but the shapes are good and they give a good result as long as you do some prepwork.

Yeah, the blotchy tricolor is an interesting pattern, and not a lot of chances to use it, but the one I'll be doing had the standard scheme.

LOL - "I don't normally go for aftermarket stuff"

September 19th, 2017, 6:57 pm #4

The directions call for you to cut off the old tail, then join the fuselage halves and tail halves, then attach the tail to the fuselage. I've tried that with different kits and had trouble with mismatches, lots of sanding and filling.

So I tried joining each tail half to the fuselage halves, then putting the whole mess together. I still ended with a mismatch as the tail parts did not line up, and I didn't want to force things together and create a twist (bigger than the one now in my knickers).

I ended up glueing one tail to its fuselage half, then joined the fuselage together, lastly attaching the other tail part to that whole assembly. I was able to line up the tail halves, make sure the width of the replacement parts matched the fuselage, and only had one baddish gap to fill.

I also wanted to weight it, I dislike using props to hold up the tail, and it takes a LOT of weight. I don't normally go for aftermarket stuff, but some metal gear seemed like a good idea:

Says the man building a conversion....

Head scratch
Certified Plastic Smasher.

Semantics

September 20th, 2017, 5:50 pm #5

I consider "aftermarket" to be stuff like cockpits, wheels, engines, exhaust- stuff that's more detailed in resin.

Conversions are "kits", so this project is more kitbashing to me, if that makes sense.

2-Dave Hansen - Start your "argument," (S) with me.

October 26th, 2017, 2:46 pm #6

I too have been curious about the -6 conversion, because i want to convert a PBY-5 flying boat onto a Boeing PB2B-2.

Just so i can mess with peoples heads and start arguments.

Plus they had that unique application of the 3-tone scheme that the PBN Nomads had.

-d-
Hi all:

I have known Dave Hansen since the early 1980's and we got together last year, (2016).

As I write to just (-d ).

Ok -d,

I was teaching a great grandson model building several years ago and we finished a PBY called "Black Cat."

So if you want to learn anything about a PBY, just email me as I have lots of "in-progress building photos" that I could send.

-r-

That tail really makes a difference! Nice work!! Nt

October 31st, 2017, 11:29 pm #7

Nt

I have to ask....

November 5th, 2017, 10:20 pm #8

whose metal L/G is that??

Bill Shuey
whshuey@verizon.net