1/32 Mustang in flight

1/32 Mustang in flight

February 12th, 2018, 7:54 pm #1

Having recently acquired the new Revell P-51D kit, I would like to display it in flight as LOUIV, as I have the Robert Taylor print "Home Run".

I have seen models in flight where the propeller give the illusion of it spinning, any idea what it is and do they make one suitable for this kit. Also, I would need a suitable pilot, again any suggestions? Also, a suitable stand, again any suggestions?

These would have to be obtainable in the UK.

Thanks
Last edited by dougan1963 on February 12th, 2018, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2018, 8:03 pm #2

Company called prop blur I think will help you

February 12th, 2018, 8:09 pm #3

Having recently acquired the new Revell P-51D kit, I would like to display it in flight as LOUIV, as I have the Robert Taylor print "Home Run".

I have seen models in flight where the propeller give the illusion of it spinning, any idea what it is and do they make one suitable for this kit. Also, I would need a suitable pilot, again any suggestions? Also, a suitable stand, again any suggestions?

Thanks
The Tamiya kit has a nice pilot figure; you might be able to haggle for an unused one on Plane Trading.

Also, Master Details makes some great 1/32 seated pilots in accurate dress for different services and theaters. A bit pricey, but worth it if you want a really nice figure.
Last edited by Ferdico on February 12th, 2018, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2018, 9:16 pm #4

Thanks
The techniques for simulating a spinning prop will look like what you see in a photo of a flying plane (the prop-blur photo-etch will look like frozen motion). If you want to simulate what you would see if looking at a real plane in flight (no visible prop or barely perceptible) consider just smoothing the spinner with just a faint dark band where the prop would be.

These are photos of my 1/48 Tamiya mosquito taken on a cloudy day.

[url[/img][/url]
[url[/img][/url]
[url[/img][/url]

February 12th, 2018, 10:18 pm #5

The Tamiya kit has a nice pilot figure; you might be able to haggle for an unused one on Plane Trading.

Also, Master Details makes some great 1/32 seated pilots in accurate dress for different services and theaters. A bit pricey, but worth it if you want a really nice figure.
You can see their 1/32 seated Mustang pilot at http://www.ultracast.ca/products/54/017/default.htm.

February 12th, 2018, 10:20 pm #6

The techniques for simulating a spinning prop will look like what you see in a photo of a flying plane (the prop-blur photo-etch will look like frozen motion). If you want to simulate what you would see if looking at a real plane in flight (no visible prop or barely perceptible) consider just smoothing the spinner with just a faint dark band where the prop would be.

These are photos of my 1/48 Tamiya mosquito taken on a cloudy day.

[url[/img][/url]
[url[/img][/url]
[url[/img][/url]
No prop

Prop blurr

1st photo with stand not photoshopped out

Last edited by Rian J on February 13th, 2018, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

February 13th, 2018, 12:24 am #7

February 13th, 2018, 12:56 am #8

http://www.ultracast.ca/Figures%20-%203 ... erican.htm

My feelings can only be hurt by
people who's opinion I care about.

February 13th, 2018, 1:00 am #9

Thanks
It's electronics 101 stuff. Get a cell phone motor (for vibrating) minus the counter weight,,,their cheap on Ebay, some magnet wire, a 10 ohm trim pot, battery pack (2 AA batteries) and a switch.

Use some Albion Aluminum tubing to match the propeller to the motor. I've done it on aircraft as small as a 1/72 Pitt Special and have the props spinning on a 1/144 RB-36. A 1/32 scale Mustang has a ton of space inside. If it has a Merlin engine it can be used to mount the electric motor.

The trim pot is for reducing the prop speed so it looks right for the scale and not toy like. I usually use shadow boxes with the glass replaced with acrylic as a base so I can drill through it for the wiring and to have a place for the trim pot, battery pack and switch.

February 13th, 2018, 7:06 am #10

I've used (once) a piece of wiring insulation
stripped from a wire to link the motor to the
prop. As it's flexible, you don't have to line
them up perfectly.

Worked for me

My feelings can only be hurt by
people who's opinion I care about.