05/19/2012, was a strange day for me,,,,,

05/19/2012, was a strange day for me,,,,,

May 21st, 2012, 11:37 am #1

I finally got my 88 yr old mother moved from the house she lived in for 62 years....I've said in other posts she's now living in a senior apt, it's a apt, not a nursing home, the apt is 55(I'm short on that) and older.
But what's strange was packing up the last of her stuff and pulling away from the house I grew up in, the neighborhood I played in and all the memories of this house.
Now we did leave behind a few things, there was a question if certain items of my mothers would fit in the new apt, so I'll be heading back maybe 1-2 more times, but to go there and know no one lives there any more...strange feeling. I'm sure others have done this too, so I suppose I'm not alone, guess after all the moving, lifting, arranging, un-packing, etc...it's all setting in. Mike

May 21st, 2012, 1:46 pm #2

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

May 21st, 2012, 3:11 pm #3

I finally got my 88 yr old mother moved from the house she lived in for 62 years....I've said in other posts she's now living in a senior apt, it's a apt, not a nursing home, the apt is 55(I'm short on that) and older.
But what's strange was packing up the last of her stuff and pulling away from the house I grew up in, the neighborhood I played in and all the memories of this house.
Now we did leave behind a few things, there was a question if certain items of my mothers would fit in the new apt, so I'll be heading back maybe 1-2 more times, but to go there and know no one lives there any more...strange feeling. I'm sure others have done this too, so I suppose I'm not alone, guess after all the moving, lifting, arranging, un-packing, etc...it's all setting in. Mike
Been there, done that! You don't realise how much you can have invested emotionally in a place until there is a sudden change and it isn't there any more. My GrandMother's place in Harrisburg was always a source of stability in a sometimes mixed up childhood.
It really was painful when a Cousin and I had to close it down after she moved out.

Bill Shuey

May 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm #4

My brother, sisters, and I are packing up Mom and Dad's things for auction, prepatory to listing their house. My folks loved antiques and never went to a sale or auction and came away empty-handed. Sixty two years of marriage makes for many memories. I know that they are in heaven watching us kids deal with it all. The whole experience has strengthened the bond beyween us. Life goes on. Adios, Larry

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

May 21st, 2012, 3:43 pm #5

Been there, done that! You don't realise how much you can have invested emotionally in a place until there is a sudden change and it isn't there any more. My GrandMother's place in Harrisburg was always a source of stability in a sometimes mixed up childhood.
It really was painful when a Cousin and I had to close it down after she moved out.

Bill Shuey
I had to empty my Dad's house after he died and it was heartbreaking. Lots of memories to pack away or take to charity shops.

Regards

Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andykingsmodelblog.blogspot.co.uk/

May 21st, 2012, 6:45 pm #6

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

May 22nd, 2012, 12:36 pm #7

My grandparents home in Essexville MI was built by my granfather in the 1920's. The family sold the property in the late 1970's. I finally did some old family stomping ground touring with my new wife in 2005. I was very happy to see that "Grandma's House" was being well cared for, painted a beautiful shade of bright yellow with lots of flower beds all round.

Maybe you too will some day see the house that took care of your family has moved on to adopt and care for another family, who will have more fond life long memories.