Moderator: Game Moderator

November 7th, 2017, 1:51 am #11

“Wa….” Motto swallowed and let the other’s vow permeate. Roy’s eyes were dead serious. The depth of loyalty being promised made the air seem thin all of a sudden, and Motto felt his lungs straining. His whole chest hurt come to think of it.. Roy was still gripping his hand and the words continued to resonate.

“..I will follow you wherever you go..”

It hurt. It didn’t make sense, but it hurt. Pictures of Roy and him couldn’t form properly in Motto’s mind; the possibility of never being alone was too good. The pain in his lungs moved up to his neck and Motto grit his teeth against it. Roy was still looking right at him and it was so important and special. Normally, Motto would laugh and scratch his head..think of something else real quick. But Roy was holding his hand and his blood was oozing out and leaking and he kept that hand there. Like his promise. Like they were already at hell, and there he was. Holdin’ his hand.

As Roy released him and mentioned training, Motto’s chin felt loose and tight at the same time while his eyes began to sting. A large hot joyful feeling burned his mind, and the Hunter started to shake with silent sobs. Motto wasn’t even aware that he was crying, it felt more like wet laughing. But different and weird pains kept squeezing his heart, and the Hunter’s expression reflected his interior suffering. Motto’s crying unfolded in boyish gasps and he lowered his head.

Roy would take that exam alright. He’d be a Hunter with him and a brother or something like that. Something wonderful and cool. Motto’s crying would settle down after a minute, but his tears would continue to trickle from the corners of his eyes for what felt like an hour. Saying as little as possible he shared with Roy the techniques he used in slow forms before increasing the rate of movement with each subsequent repetition. Bladed hands would move to Roy’s critical areas over and over again while Motto would move to dodge the counter throws. Faster and faster until they were both moving seamlessly and things were blurring slightly for the average onlooker. After hours of this, Motto felt satisfied with Roy’s rhythm and let himself drop to ground to rest.

“Next thing we do is computer stuff.”

Roy

November 8th, 2017, 2:12 am #12

Roy could tell that Motto got pretty emotional as Roy swore himself to him. It was strange to see. It almost seemed liked the dude was lonely but he wasn't sure how that was possible. He was likeable as all hell, and the nicest man he may have ever met. The people he met that knew him certainly seemed like they cared about him. But maybe that wasn't it, it was highly possible that he just wore his heart on his sleeve. It was endearing either way.

Roy trained with Motto until his muscles burned, it felt good for how painful it was. He did his best to supress how much pain he was actually in, so that Motto wouldn't take it easy on him. But eventually his moves grew rigid, slower, and weaker. He could feel Motto matching his pace and he didn't say anything. He couldn't probably convince him to go harder than that anyway.

Roy was learning quite a bit from him. Motto was an experienced fighter, even if he didn't enjoy the more subtle aspects of combat. Still though Roy understood the power in practicing the basics, and mastering them. It did a person very little good to land a tricky punch if they couldn't do damage with it. Roy could tell that even when he was at full strength Motto was still holding back on him, and there was nothing he could do about that either. But maybe later he would ask him to really push himself.

Panting, exhausted, and covered in sweat Roy leaned his back against the barn smiling and closing his eyes as he drew his arm across his forhead. Motto had opted to just drop to the floor, it looked pretty nice down there... upon seeing this Roy's back slowly slide down the barn until he was seated. It had been a while since he had that good of a workout. He imagined they'd be doing stuff like this all the time, and if that was true then Roy was bound to get stronger in no time. But would even that be fast enough? He wasnt't sure.

Roy looked down at Motto opening a single eye, the other one still stung from the sweat coming off him when he mentioned something about doing computer stuff. What did that mean? Was Motto good with computer's and hacking and stuff? That was pretty cool he had to admit, although he didn't take him for a fan of all that stuff.

Through panting breaths he spoke. "I'm...*huff*...down." He stated as he continued to breath heavily, but his chest slowly started to rise less with each breath. He was regaining his breath, and he was eager for more.

November 17th, 2017, 3:47 am #13

Along the moment passed as the two men remained in their respective positions and breathing heavily. Initially Motto's plan had been to focus on combat related training first, and then switch to supportive skill training. Things like computer stuff. Only Motto didn't know much about computer stuff. If anything, he was the one who needed training in that area. It was only with Doc’s help but he managed to get the cybernet forum up and running and Motto found himself struggling to maintain it. He knew the computer stuff was useful and many of his jobs as a Hunter had been acquired that way, but the thought of training someone else in that techy world made Motto uneasy.

“I actually don't know much about computer stuff…” He admitted, “…I mean it's a good idea to learn about it but I'm not too smart with that sort of thing. Heh.” The Hunter groaned and sat up. “You probably know more than me, Roy. Hey wait a minute, I got it! You teach me! You know? That blacksmithing stuff, right? How about you teach me about that?” Grinning from ear to ear, Motto looked to the other and waited. From what he could guess, blacksmithing involved metal. Bending metal, pounding metal, shaping it, things like that. Although Motto couldn't immediately picture how those skills might come handy, he firmly believed they would. Plus it would be fun to be Roy’s student. Motto never imagined himself a leader of anything let alone a group of cool dudes like Roy. Deep down he hoped his team would be more like a group of equals than some sort of structured system of ranks.

Before Roy had a chance to answer, it occurred to Motto that his new friend didn't seem to know anything about nen. This notion immediately eclipsed all else. “Or or we could talk about… other things?” The Hunter’s smile became strained. “Like the natural skills… we all have. The ones that we have inside ourselves.” Getting to his feet, Motto dusted off his pants and stood before Roy. “Do you feel it?” His voice suddenly low and eager, “Your energy? Can you sense it? Every living thing has it, Roy. You, me… not the barn because it's not alive, but you and me for sure.” Motto placed a hand on his own chest and nodded with a meaningful smile.

Roy

November 19th, 2017, 9:24 am #14

Roy laughed quietly as Motto admitted that he didn't know anything about computers, and asked Roy to teach him what he knew. He was perhaps a bit more modern than Motto but computer's...he didn't know a thing about them. But he could definitely give it his best shot...

As he was thinking about this Motto spoke again. Asking him to teach him about blacksmithig. Now that was something that he could actually do. Blacksmithing was an interesting skill. It was always possible to forge simple tools from basic materials. They wouldn't be that great, but one never knew when a small blade, or some other tool would come in handy.

For that matter too there could be any number of pieces of metal that one might need to re shape for whatever reason. It certainly wasn't one of those, necessity skills that one should learn before going off on their own. But it might prove useful enough.

Truth be told though the one thing he wanted to learn from Motto perhaps more than anything else was to learn some survival skills. He thought back frequently to how helpless he had been in the wild. How he had nearly starved, been killed by beasts, couldn't tell the direction, or keep warm at night, cook food...it was bad. He wanted to change that. As a hunter he knew that he would be in those kinds of situations all the time. So learning some skills like that would probably prove to be super useful.

Before he could respond Motto asked him something about other stuff. Roy raised an eye brow and cast a glance his way. What was other stuff? He continued to talk about natural skills, and evergy, of some kind. Roy's face took on a confused expression. What did he mean by energy? Roy closed his eyes and breathed deeply for a moment. It seemed like he was talking about some kind of life energy the way he described it. He guessed that he should clear his head?

Roy attempted to do so. Thinking of nothing and just breathing trying to...reach out. But he didn't get anything. He didn't want to dissapoint Motto by any means but he also wasn't sure what he meant. Maybe it was just a philosophy of his or something? He didn't know.

"I'm not sure I understand what you mean." Roy responded with a shrug. He had tried. "I've never felt something that I would call a life energy or anything like that. I guess I'm not closed off to the idea or anything. The world seems more fantastic by the day...but still. I don't think I'm like a pyschic or anything."

November 21st, 2017, 2:30 am #15

“Mm.” Motto frowned and scratched at his chin. He had watched Roy with hope as the man closed his eyes and centered himself. He could tell Roy hadn’t stirred up any of his aura, and secretly wished to change that.

“..I'm not closed off to the idea or anything..”

Brownish eyes shot up to connect with Roy’s. “That’s so …perfect! That you’re not closed? Get it? Wait.. nevermind. But listen Roy..” Motto grabbed the other’s shoulder and began to talk fast, “It’s real. Life energy. It can be harnessed. For different things.. to protect .. to attack, to … well a whole buncha stuff! It’s in you Roy. It’s there and with the right kind of training you can connect with it and control it.. well, somethin’ like that. Here, I’ll show ya.”

Letting go of his new friend, Motto took a step back and crouched low. Channeling his aura to his feet, the Hunter jumped straight up with a large burst of ren boosting his ascent. Thirty five feet up the raven slowed down and begin to fall back down again; his movements relatively practiced and somewhat graceful in a mannish way. Motto landed with a dull thud and a simple bend of the knees. He was tempted to show off, but talking about nen with someone for the first time was kinda sacred. The Hunter hoped to honor his own sensai in how he passed the knowledge to another, and not tarnish things with his goof off style.

“It’s aura, Roy.” Motto’s hands nearly flew to his hips, but he changed his mind and came closer to his buddy instead. “The life force within you and me, and the grass. The birds.. All living things. Aura. Maybe ya heard of it before, I don’t know, but it’s real. There’s ways to find your own and to..train it. To kinda..” Motto shifted his feet and felt sweat forming under his armpits. He wasn’t sure how to word it at all, and felt terrible about giving Roy any kind of wrong ideas or making nen seem stupid. “.. shape it..some people use their aura in a simple ways, and others have real …different ideas. Heh.” Motto blushed at one hatsu in particular that had humiliated him in front of others. He’d never forget that. “But anyway.. that’s not important right now.”

Motto bit his lip and raised his eyes to Roy’s.

“I’m not too smart about a lot of things, but I’ll tell ya what I know. About aura...if you want.”

Roy

December 17th, 2017, 9:42 am #16

Roy raised his eyebrow as Motto mentioned Aura. Under normal circumstances he might have brushed off the concept as either not real, or not useful. But every day he spent out of his old life seemed to introduce him to new and impossible things.

He had been noticing that hunters and other extraordinary people seemed to possess skills above and beyond the rest. Aura...sure. Why not. It seemed as likely as anything else. Inwardly Roy was just glad that he had a name to put to attach to all of the crazy shit that he was seeing. Motto said that he could shape it and control it. After having seen what others used their aura for Roy knew that this would probably prove to be a very useful thing indeed.

"Tell me everything you can. What are the limitations on aura? Just how much can one do with it?" Roy spoke with a smile. He was eager to learn about this aura. But even more eager to see it in action. "But first, if you don't mind. Could you show me a demonstration?"

Roy's mind was already racing with possibilities. But he needed to know exactly what it was capable of, it's limitations, it's possibilities, everything. Before he started making any real strategies. Still if this Aura was capable of as much as he hoped, then he already had several ideas that he wanted to try and put in to action.

How long did it take to learn he wondered? Was there a price to be paid for using aura? Roy smirked inwardly. It didn't matter how much it cost him to attain the power that he wanted. He would pay it. With his flesh and blood if he had too.

December 31st, 2017, 7:38 am #17

Motto nodded and took several steps back. Lowering his eyes a little, he concentrated on his fist; allowing the majority of his aura to concentrate there. It was more than enough to fuel his Totally Awesome Punch. It was tempting to dig deep for more power but Motto restrained the urge, although it seemed ok to let off a little extra steam while giving Roy a demonstration. As the force of his aura swelled and compressed, a small whirlwind of air gathered at the raven’s feet, kicking up dust and bits of grass. Motto thought of Ylva and all of his frustration there..he thought about how people might be dying at that very moment because of anti-hunters.. he thought about his drunk aunt slamming him into a wall and yelling that he was a mistake that no one wanted.. Breathing in what he visualized as a solid stream of golden power, Motto wound up for a single powerful strike before pausing for a brief moment to express gratitude for the strength to carry out his mind’s desire. The Hunter’s fist was a frightening blur as it drove into the ground; causing the air to shudder with the boom of his impact. A shockwave would sweep through Roy followed by a shower of dirt and insects while Motto grinned at him from the ten foot deep crater he’d just made.

“So what do you think Roy? Pretty cool huh?”

Roy

January 10th, 2018, 9:10 am #18

Bits of dirt flew through the air as Motto slammed his fist down on the ground with enough force to create a ten foot crater. Unprepared for this the shockwave caused Roy to fall over. He was hardly mad however and barely remembered to raise a hand to shield his face from the dirt.

As he hit the ground his features took on a baffled expression. Wide eyed and open mouthed he couldn't even find the words to describe what he thought of Motto's attack. So his question remained unanswered as Roy merely stared at the hole Motto had made in awe.

But somewhere in the back of his mind. There was a part of him that was already hard at work. Forming plans and ideas, on what he could do with this newfound Nen. Roy's shock and awe slowly transformed into an excited smile.

After an extended period of silence that Roy was unable to break he finally looked Motto in the eyes and spoke. "I'm thinking a lot of things right now Motto...But mostly I'm just wondering how long it's gonna take me to learn how to do that. Would you seriously teach me?" Roy asked him his smile never fading.

January 23rd, 2018, 2:40 am #19

The extended silence after his demonstration made him wonder if Roy wasn’t re-thinking his decision to join the group. Motto shifted his weight and regretted showing off. He might be able to convince Roy to stay but he wasn’t sure. The guy was still a bit of a mystery to Motto, although there was one thing he was certain of. Roy was very clever. The Hunter gulped at the possible things that might be going through the other’s mind. Intelligent things. But Roy was a good guy and he trusted him. Whatever he had to say, Motto was ready to hear it.

“…Would you seriously teach me?"

A wide grin spread on the Hunter’s face. There was nothing he wanted to do more. Things were going to be epic with that guy. Training, more training, hanging out, other stuff.. all of it. Motto was the fortunate one.

“Yeah. I’ll teach ya, Roy.”

In four strides he was out of the crater and lifting the former mafia man off his feet in a tight hug. “We can start now. Don’t worry about your hands. We’ll get ‘em taken care of, but dude..you are gonna be so awesome I just know it! More than you already are!!!”

January 31st, 2018, 6:06 am #20

Reward Table
Member Name:
Gon.Pro.Hunter
Character Name:
Motto Brook
Standard Reward
2.5 SP, 6.25 RP, 525,000 Jenni
Content Bonus
Great Content (30%)
0.75 SP, 1.875 RP, 157,500 Jenni
Effort Bonus
Great Effort (15%)
0.375 SP, 0.9375 RP, 78,750 Jenni
Event Bonus
X
Mission Bonus:
X
Arc Bonus:
X
Mentorship Bonus
0.825 SP, 2.0625 RP, 173,250 Jenni
Total Rewards: 4 SP,
11 RP, 934,500 Jenni
--IC Notes--
--Comments to the Roleplayer--
I love seeing Motto build his relationship with Roy, and his reactions come off as very genuine and Motto-ey. Hehe. I especially loved the part where Motto's emotions conflicted, with an initial lack of happiness at Roy's declaration. He's very human, and that's what I love!
List of Used Consumables:
Reward Table
Member Name:
Roy
Character Name:
Roy Zimmerlan
Standard Reward
2.25 SP, 5.625 RP, 462,500 Jenni
Content Bonus
Great Content (30%)
0.675 SP, 1.6875 RP, 138,750 Jenni
Effort Bonus
Notable Effort (10%)
0.225 SP, 0.5625 RP, 46,250 Jenni
Event Bonus
X
Mission Bonus:
X
Arc Bonus:
X
Mentorship Bonus
0.7425 SP, 1.85625 RP, 152,625 Jenni
Total Rewards: 4 SP,
10 RP, 770,125 Jenni
--IC Notes--
--Comments to the Roleplayer--
Enjoyed Roy's development here as he struggles for redemption and latches onto Motto as a possible source. One small criticism is that I felt Roy wasn't reacting enough to Motto, it felt more like he was doing his own thing. Then again, maybe you were just tired dude ;)
List of Used Consumables:
This topic is now completed.