The Fallen

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

10:43 PM - May 04, 2013 #1

I somewhat want to (eventually) put together a Fallen army. While I'd love to have enough black-clad Marines to simply create a second army of only Fallen, that's financially unrealistic. I think if I make a decent Fallen codex and model a couple key HQ, I can just use regular marines and pretend they're painted in pre-heresy black.

Since the Fallen are a somewhat specific group and don't really fall in line with the general Chaos Space Marine concept, being Dark Angels who sided with Luther during the Heresy, and being scattered through the warp and time, operating generally as individuals, I'm going to have to build some fluff that brings enough units together to form a small army. I'm thinking I'll draw elements from the Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Daemons codices to embody aspects of their history and the vagaries of the Warp to bring them together.

As I gather, thus far, the Fallen aren't as touched by Chaos as your average Chaos Space Marine, Daemon or other Chaos troop. With that in mind though, there's precedent for some units to have Deep Strike capabilities that operate somewhat randomly; they appear on the battlefield at the whim of the Warp. I suppose I need to look more carefully into the CSM Codex to understand their flavour, and likely scale back from there.

I'm looking forward to stating out Cypher, and trying seeing how he works on the table.

In Real Life ?, people who aim to maximize their potential for lethality are called "dangerous psychotics" and are typically avoided by everyone who isn't forced to endure their company until someone has the opportunity to put them away or else put them down. No one likes that guy. Don't play that guy.

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

11:29 PM - May 06, 2013 #2

Getting a better vibe for who the Fallen are, I'm leaning less in the direction of Chaos-y units, though they're still touched with it, and, obviously, will be assembled onto the field by its whims. The perspective of the Fallen army I'll assemble is that of loyalists, that the Dark Angels are the traitors to the Emperor, not those loyal to Luther. The idea of deep striking, tunnelling through the Warp into the battle field to fight the Unforgiven, or other CSM, Chaos Daemons or Xenos definitely appeals; especially with a unit like Cypher. For the most part, though touched by Chaos, these Fallen do not accept their role within Chaos, actively fighting against it as they always have, working to find their redemption within the eyes of the Emperor.

With that in mind, I figure they'd have Favoured Enemy (Chaos Space Marines) like the Dark Angels, but, also have Favoured Enemy (Dark Angels) due to their perceived treachery. Some form of Chaotic deep strike, a little more random than normal Deep Strike... perhaps a requirement that half of the army (maybe less) must be held in reserve to appear on the field when the Warp deems appropriate? Librarians with Chaos-tainted powers.
Largely they would resemble Dark Angels with some relatively minor Chaos taint.

In time, when I'm actually assembling the units, I'm going to have to try to find a couple dozen marines in Mark V, maybe some in Mark IV Power armor, appropriate for the time of the Horus Heresy from which they were flung. Modelling them as Heresy-era marines will make the army visually interesting and flavourful :) Having to go Forgeworld kinda sucks though.
In Real Life ?, people who aim to maximize their potential for lethality are called "dangerous psychotics" and are typically avoided by everyone who isn't forced to endure their company until someone has the opportunity to put them away or else put them down. No one likes that guy. Don't play that guy.

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

1:21 AM - May 07, 2013 #3

Perhaps the way to introduce the idea of the Warp regurgitating Fallen into the battle field to join the fight it to treat it as a dedicated transport, and replace Drop Pods, which don't make sense in context, with a Warp Tunnel.

Warp Tunnel - Deep Strike as Drop Pod via. chaotic Warp Tunnel; 3d6" scatter

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

2:25 AM - May 07, 2013 #4

Codex Stats sheets (as I compile it)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

5:34 PM - Oct 02, 2016 #5

Three years later, the plan has shifted :)
With Betrayal at Calth being a thing, and GW producing Heresy era plastic kits, making Mk IV marines "easy" to get, I decided to go that route for building my Fallen force. I picked up BaC a couple weeks ago, and have begun assembling it, intending to paint them all as Dark Angels, using some colour around the bases to indicate loyalist v. traitor marines rather than the default Ultramarines v. Word Bearers used in the game. This way I can play BaC, and use the whole force on the war-table for 40K fallen. Additionally, I am painting up a conversion of the Dark Angels model from Deathwatch Overkill to use as Lord Cypher to run with them.

Rules wise, my intent is to simply use the 30k Legion rules for Dark Angels, with the exception of adding the Chaos Space Marines designation to work with the intention of the Dark Angels' Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines) feature. In most cases, this force will be pretty competitively weak against 40k armies, but I think it'll be flavourfully fun :)

I'll post some images as the build/painting progresses. So far I've assembled the Cataphractii terminators, Contemptor dreadnought, and the two HQs, and am in progress assembling the 30 tactical marines. I'm going to magnetize the special weapons to allow for WYSIWYG flexibility, but I'll have to decide whether to use missiles or heavy bolters for the heavies, they're not as magnet friendly. The kit comes with one plasma gun, melta gun and flamer, and a heavy bolter and missile launcher per squad.
The terminators, I equipped with lightning claws; they look sweet, and all of my 40k Deathwing are shooty, so this will help differentiate play style. The Contemptor was equipped with the assault cannon.

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

7:43 PM - Nov 15, 2016 #6

My plan to use Legion rules for the Fallen, and the options present in the Calth set have hit a bit of a wall. The Calth units are designed to be equipped like 40k Tactical squads; for a 10-man unit, one can be equipped with a special weapon, one with a heavy weapon... but 30k doesn't work like that. Tactical squads are 10-man units, each equipped with bolters (or chainswords), without special weapon options; in order to use special weapons, one can be added to a Veteran squad, or a Tactical Support squad can be used - Tac Support Squads are 5-man units equipped with flamers, and all 5 can be upgraded to a different special weapon, all of them being upgraded to the same thing... which requires more special weapons than come in the box. Likewise, Heavy Support Squads (Devastators) are 5 man units, all with a heavy bolter, which can be all upgraded to the same, different heavy weapon... which hits the same stumbling block, only 3 HB and 3 missile launchers in the box.

To help remedy this, I've also picked up Burning of Prospero, to fill out my Fallen in MKIV with some MKIII... unfortunately the MKIII sprues don't include flamers, nor missile launchers, but do allow for Heavy support equipped with Heavy Bolters, and Tac Supports equipped with plasmaguns or meltaguns.

I haven't gotten any further in building my tactical marines yet, but below is a where the characters, terminators and dreadnought are. The BaC tacticals have their torsos and legs glued; the heads, shoulder pads, weapons and backpacks have mold lines removed and barrels drilled. The arms are still on sprue, but that will be fixed soon, and I'll get into assembling the Prospero units. The Tartaros terminators will be equipped for range to counter the lightning claw Cataphractii terminators.

Donate to Ankhanu Press