Moderator: KristenM

MONSTER OF THE WEEK.

KristenM
Follower
KristenM
Follower

12:21 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #1

Hey folks,

Lets get this party started.  This game heavily borrows from the tropes from 90s-current "monster of the week" tv shows such as Supernatural, Scooby Doo, X-files, Fringe, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Todd and the Book of Ultimate Evil (required CanCon content), and Superstition.  

This game is a Powered by the Apocalypse game, and it runs somewhat differently from D&D and other traditional games as the Keeper (DM) doesn't run all aspects of the story.  The game is Story-First so you tell me what you want to do, you roll to see how well you do, and you assist in narrating what happens.  Once the final investigation has been completed, the players as a group will come up with the final scene and hopefully, you'll be able to save the world from the Monster of the Week.

Every player has a set 8 moves you can complete (See reference sheets below).  Typically with these actions you roll 2 6 sided dice, add a modifier and if it comes up between 1-6 you fail, 7-9 you succeed with consequences, and 10-12+ you succeed.  You will also have some special moves that come along with your playbook (Character class) that we can talk about if you decide to choose them.

The first thing we're going to need to do is determine what kind've crew you want to be.  There's a possibility to create a custom group, but sometimes its easier to start with pre-mades ideas for groups.

Slayer and Entourage
There's a chosen one and the support group.  Hopefully together they're able to save the world. 

The Unexplained Cases Team
The Agency needs a team to handle all the weird stuff regular agents just dont' understand

The Order
You are all members of an ancient order of monster slayers

Road Tripping hunter family
Your family's trade is hunting monsters..

Also, when looking into what kind've group you'd like to play, it would make sense to look through the playerbooks and see what kind've playbook (character type) you'd like to play.  The Monster of the week rulebook has suggestions as to who should be in what team, but we can make it work.  The only thing to note is playbook types are unique so two people can't play the Mundane.
https://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content ... ybooks.pdf

This is a pretty bare bones explanation of how your basic moves work, experience, luck, etc.
https://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content ... Sheets.pdf

Don't sweat the rules right now.  We can work those out later.

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

1:31 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #2

I'll set up a subforum for the game soon and make you the moderator; just at work now and had a few meetings.  I'll likely move this thread into it too.

I've downloaded the book to review!
In Real Life ?, people who aim to maximize their potential for lethality are called "dangerous psychotics" and are typically avoided by everyone who isn't forced to endure their company until someone has the opportunity to put them away or else put them down. No one likes that guy. Don't play that guy.

Donate to Ankhanu Press

NolaRiot
Follower
NolaRiot
Follower

2:16 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #3

Book downloaded! Thanks!

KristenM
Follower
KristenM
Follower

2:20 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #4

I would also highly recommend downloading the session 0 and session 1 of the Amnesty series from the Adventure Zone.  It'll give you a good idea of how to play the game and set up some characters. 

https://www.maximumfun.org/shows/adventure-zone

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

2:23 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #5

Adventure Zone gets a lot of good press from the other podcasters I listen to; I haven't checked it out yet, but I'll add it to the queue.
In Real Life ?, people who aim to maximize their potential for lethality are called "dangerous psychotics" and are typically avoided by everyone who isn't forced to endure their company until someone has the opportunity to put them away or else put them down. No one likes that guy. Don't play that guy.

Donate to Ankhanu Press

KristenM
Follower
KristenM
Follower

2:43 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #6

I highly recommend it.  The Amnesty is really great, the FATE core one they did wasn't the best

Razordance
Follower
Razordance
Follower

10:57 PM - Sep 26, 2018 #7

Book downloaded.

Razordance
Follower
Razordance
Follower

11:31 PM - Sep 27, 2018 #8

So I got a group message about the game today, and it seems to have totally disappeared from my messenger. Any chance you could make sure I’m still added? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ankhanu
Council of Darkness
Ankhanu
Council of Darkness

1:34 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #9

Well, if the first thing we need to do is figure out what kind of crew we want to be... we should do that :P

Of the pre-made ideas, I kinda prefer the Slayer/Entourage and The Order concepts, but I'm sully open to any of the others, or creating our own concept.  This is somewhat game-system agnostic, so we don't really need to know how the game works to figure out the "who/what" of our group.  What do you guys think?

Donate to Ankhanu Press

Razordance
Follower
Razordance
Follower

4:27 PM - Sep 28, 2018 #10

I was kind of leaning towards The Order as well, but anything works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk