What is this ?!?! Need help big time.

TrapperAH1G
HSATF Tail Gunner
TrapperAH1G
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 21st, 2018, 6:07 pm #1

Hope the pics I took load okay.  

Bit the bullet and started the "changing of the springs" today.  Planning on both clutch and drive gear. 

Drained the oil and it looked okay.  Wondered what it would look like with the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, if I'd be able to tell any difference.  Nope, dark oil, nothing remarkable.

Decided to start by pulling the clutch cover and just doing those.  Cover came off nice and easy, and the basket area was clean and looked good!  When I turned the cover over to see the inside I couldn't believe what was there.  Looks like a heavy coating of thick, hand lotion.

Not sure what order the pics will appear.  There are 2 shots of the clutch basket, one before I did spring change and one after.  The old springs, bolts and basket cover didn't have any of the "lotion" on them, just the outer cover.  

I haven't had any indication that I'm losing coolant, tho I'll probably pull the tank and check it now.  Bike has run hot or anything.  She stays in an unheated shed, but I've been able to ride every few weeks.

Hope no one else has had this problem....but knows what it is and how to fix it.  Help ?
P3210022.JPG
P3210021.JPG
P3210020.JPG
P3210019.JPG
P3210018.JPG
P3210017.JPG
P3210023.JPG
P3210016.JPG
P3210022.JPG P3210021.JPG P3210020.JPG P3210019.JPG P3210018.JPG P3210017.JPG P3210023.JPG P3210016.JPG

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

March 21st, 2018, 11:16 pm #2

Looks like moisture mixed with oil, probably from condensation, not getting it warmed up enough to evaporate the condensation out of the crankcase probably. Ride more often and longer.   ;)

EDIT:  As a side note, started up my other 750 after 5 months, got green moisture dripping out the muffler, panic mode for a few moments thinking anti-freeze, but didn't smell right.  called a friend who informed me it was condensation out of the pipes that had started growing things in there...    And it was stored inside...
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

TrapperAH1G
HSATF Tail Gunner
TrapperAH1G
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 22nd, 2018, 12:21 am #3

Cleve, I hope you're right.  Haven't ridden her in 2 weeks, since I noticed the clutch was slipping.  Cranked her today, ran about 10 minutes to heat up the oil before draining.  As stated, oil looks okay, not milky at all.  Had to throw away the pants I was wearing when I first saw this stuff!

Gonna take the cover by the shop I use and see what they have to say.

Cleve, always appreciate that you share your experience/opinions quickly.

Take care.

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

March 22nd, 2018, 9:25 pm #4

np, now that I'm officially retired, I have a bit more time for posting etc.
Cleve

markspike
HSATF 1st Officer
markspike
HSATF 1st Officer

March 28th, 2018, 1:38 pm #5

Cleve is correct. My cover had the same stuff on it when I changed out my clutch springs (which solved my slipping problem, BTW). Nothing to worry about. 

Give us a ride report when you are done!

rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer
rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer

March 28th, 2018, 2:24 pm #6

The side covers and the whole case will get water condensation as the engine cools down. But when you start the bike up and go riding that water gets splashed with oil and that helps put it into the oil system. As the oil gets hot the water evaporates away but on that side cover you can see the ridges on the inside of that cover. What that does is help keep the emulsified oil there till it(the side cover) gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture. I've seen this in many bikes. If you had water in the oil you would see it on your dip stick and when you drain the oil. It would all look like mayonnaise.

ROD
So many roads so little time !

bamaTrider
HSATF 1st Officer
bamaTrider
HSATF 1st Officer

March 28th, 2018, 10:17 pm #7

rod rounds wrote:The side covers and the whole case will get water condensation as the engine cools down. But when you start the bike up and go riding that water gets splashed with oil and that helps put it into the oil system. As the oil gets hot the water evaporates away but on that side cover you can see the ridges on the inside of that cover. What that does is help keep the emulsified oil there till it(the side cover) gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture. I've seen this in many bikes. If you had water in the oil you would see it on your dip stick and when you drain the oil. It would all look like mayonnaise.

ROD
If you tend to go long periods of time without riding the bike, I suggest switching to full synthetic oil. Full synthetic oil with not emulsify with moisture, which makes it easier to cook the moisture out when you do get to ride. Start out with a synthetic blend, then go full synthetic on the next oil change. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current love; 2004 GL1800 CSC Cobra trike (silver/white).
Past love; 1999 Ace Tourer (Silver over Black)

frank.cappi
HSATF Member
frank.cappi
HSATF Member

April 13th, 2018, 11:40 am #8

Condensation! If it was coolant your oil would have looked like chocolate milk. There must be a crankcase breather, maybe check to see if that's clear.

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

April 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm #9

And fwiw, this stuff is my new favorite parts cleaner, did a fantastic job on the engine cases when I replaced the stator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Cleve