winsuperx1
HSATF Tail Gunner
winsuperx1
HSATF Tail Gunner

7:02 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #11

Liber T, you might try Dyna Beads. Mine is smooth as silk. I use them in my Battlax and Nokian CT.

bmcgc
HSATF Member
bmcgc
HSATF Member

10:09 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #12

I put a CT on the rear of my VTX 1800N.  Didnt work out for me at all.

Took some getting used to as far as handling, especially if I hit a groove in the pavement.

The killer was how it wore out the front tire.

I had a 205 on the rear, that was the widest tire the rim could handle.

After about 1000 miles the tread on the left side of my front tire was gone.  The tread on the right side looked new and unworn.

The only thing I could figure was that the 205 wanted to run flat and I was leaning left to compensate for the camber in the road.

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

11:37 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #13

I appreciate the info . I guess I'll give that a try. All the tires in the past have been as you put it smooth as silk including the Valkyrie tire on the rear so I had no need for beads. Where do you get them , how much do you put in , and do they come pre packaged for you?

iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer
iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer

8:21 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #14

Liber T wrote:Where do you get them , how much do you put in , and do they come pre packaged for you?
1) You get them here:  http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.php
2) I went with one ounce each in the front and back.  
3) Scroll down to the middle of the page in that link and you'll find pre-packaged kits for motorcycles.

I've been using these for a while in my cycle tires and in my work trailer tires.  They seem to work great.  You do have to be careful about checking your tires.  On two occasions I had a bead stick in the tire valve while checking the air and that let all of the remaining air out of the tire.  I keep a valve tool and compressor with me now just in case.  They sell special valves that are supposed to prevent that, but they haven't worked for me and don't work in all valve stems.

If you decide to go that route, I've also got some tips on getting the beads into the tire without spilling them all over the floor (or spraying them in your eyes...)
1998 ACE T - Black & Chrome - 110,000 miles and counting
1999 ACE T - Jade & Cream - 47,500 miles and counting
IBA# 62531

maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer
maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer

8:49 AM - Aug 20, 2018 #15

I bought my beads at the local coop.  They use them in many cases instead of tire balancing.  They had a choice of packets two oz thru six oz.  A six oz bag was about $9.00. 

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

12:08 PM - Aug 20, 2018 #16

It bothered me that it wasn't,t balanced right to begin with so I took it back to the guy who did it. (On the bike) He was very accommodating . He took it for a test ride and said he could not feel any vibration in the handlebars . (He laughed and said he had only been riding one of those other bikes lately ) I ask him what he would charge me to take the wheel off and check it out. He said to help me out he would do it for $20 if it checked out good and free if it was out of balance. He came back in and said it was out 1/2 oz . He removed that and it was perfect. As I had stated before the vibration was less than half of that in my cobra floorboards to begin with and  when he was done this time it was probably half what it was when I pulled in . I can just barely feel any now . That tire still doesn't feel as soft as the o e m but is now so close to as smooth I'm sure I wil get used to it very quickly and not notice it at all. I might be tempted to try those beads just to see if I can tell the difference but now with so little to gain and the slightest chance of a stuck valve I don't see the value in it. Thanks again for the info guys . O yea has anyone felt they had any issues with this rear wheel tread pattern  on the front in a hard rain.? And how low can you go on air pressure and still get that great millage?

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

4:02 PM - Aug 20, 2018 #17

Liber T wrote:  He came back in and said it was out 1/2 oz . He removed that and it was perfect. As I had stated before the vibration was less than half of that in my cobra floorboards to begin with and  when he was done this time it was probably half what it was when I pulled in . I can just barely feel any now . That tire still doesn't feel as soft as the o e m but is now so close to as smooth I'm sure I wil get used to it very quickly and not notice it at all. I might be tempted to try those beads just to see if I can tell the difference but now with so little to gain and the slightest chance of a stuck valve I don't see the value in it. Thanks again for the info guys . O yea has anyone felt they had any issues with this rear wheel tread pattern  on the front in a hard rain.? And how low can you go on air pressure and still get that great millage?
Tom,

1/2 oz. is two balance weights.  As you found out, that is significant, both in terms of vibration, but also regarding tire life.  Good call, taking the tire back for a balance check.
Fred

iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer
iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer

5:28 PM - Aug 20, 2018 #18

The great thing about the beads is that they are a dynamic balancing system (hence the name).  If you brake hard and loose a little rubber or one of the original balancing weights falls off, the beads automatically adjust to keep the tire balanced.
1998 ACE T - Black & Chrome - 110,000 miles and counting
1999 ACE T - Jade & Cream - 47,500 miles and counting
IBA# 62531

TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain
TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain

6:21 PM - Aug 20, 2018 #19

I use Ride On in each of my 3 bikes.  It's a dynamic balancer  and seals holes.  I can only attest that as a balancing agent, it works great.  If I've had any punctures, it's sealed without me knowing they were there.  Doesn't clog the valves, and each time I've changed tires the "goo" is only on the inside face of the tire.....no mess.  Recommend it and will continue to use in all my tires.