iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer
iecovert
HSATF 1st Officer

August 30th, 2016, 9:24 pm #11

Haha. Well, maybe she'd just been hanging out with your aunt too much that weekend. Or maybe she's just good at reflecting folks accents.

Great pictures too. Can you imagine the conversation leading up to installing those chains?
1998 ACE T
Black & Chrome
110,000 miles and counting
IBA# 62531

icandoitfaster
HSATF 1st Officer
icandoitfaster
HSATF 1st Officer

August 31st, 2016, 11:43 pm #12

Allan,
Keep us posted on your plans for an "out west" trip. It would be great if some of us westerners could rendevous with you and your family to finally meet you in person.
paul

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

August 7th, 2018, 3:13 pm #13

For those that have been on the edge of their seats, waiting to see what we've come up with, it's finally here.

I've been working with a company out in north western Montana (near Kalispell, MT and Glacier National Park) over the last 16 months, and the owner agreed to let me park an SUV and trailer in his lot, while we take the bikes for a tour of the north western US.

I'll be transporting three bikes and a trike to Montana in a 24ft enclosed trailer. The rest of the family will fly out there. We'll then ride for 12-13 days, cover 3300 miles, and eight states, before getting back to Kalispell.

Here is a map of the expected route, with a few highlights noted. The theme for this trip is to show my Aunt/Uncle some of the US that they haven't seen before, specifically highlighting the geography and terrain that we simply don't have, in the eastern half.

Allan

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

August 8th, 2018, 5:00 am #14

Jealous!!

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

August 8th, 2018, 2:37 pm #15

Double jealous!!!! 

Which California road are you taking from the coast to the Sacremento Valley/I-5, CA 299 or CA 36?  Both are curvy and scenic.  I would not recommend taking CA 20 right now.  You might get drafted to fight forest fires.  That is probably also true of CA 299 at present.
Fred

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

August 8th, 2018, 9:10 pm #16

Fred,

As of now, the plan is CA299 from the coast to Douglas City, then south on CA3 to CA36. That should get us from the western side of Redding to the eastern side of it, but by staying far enough south to stay out of trouble. Will certainly be watching the movement of the various fires though, as the time gets closer. If necessary, we can stay along the coast a little further and use CA36 to get across.

Allan

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

August 9th, 2018, 4:17 am #17

Allan,

CA 299 to 3 to 36 gives you all the chance to ride 3 great roads. Good choice. I wish I was going with you. Have fun!
Fred

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

August 9th, 2018, 9:19 am #18

As devastating as they are I think seeing one of those huge forest fires at night would be incredible, like seeing the volcano in Hawaii!

CS

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

Yesterday, 2:01 pm #19

Ride starts tomorrow, and I'm already adjusting the route due to fire.
Day one was supposed to be a ride through Glacier Natn'l Park on "Going To The Sun" highway.
Most of the road is closed, as a part of Glacier is on fire.

Looks like we'll do a shorter day riding along Flathead Lake instead.

Hoping that the fires in CA are contained a bit, by the time we get there.

Allan

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

Today, 2:39 am #20

All my relatives in northern California are also hoping the fires are contained soon. They want to return home. Good luck with tomorrow's ride, and also the rest of the trip.
Fred