Trimming down OME shield

Please post all seat related discussions in this topic forum.

Trimming down OME shield

SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member
SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member

June 25th, 2018, 3:55 pm #1

I like my shield but Has anyone had success with trimming down the shield on their T? The top of my shield sits right in the line of vision and gets super annoying after awhile. I only need 3-4 inches off the top cut off but not even sure if that’s possible. If not I’ll need suggestions from the group on purchasing a new shield that fits 1998 1100t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

June 25th, 2018, 4:30 pm #2

1st thing is to decide if you're changing seats, New seat may raise or lower you.

WHEN you're ready, use a multi-tool oscillating saw. Tape the shield for about the top 8" with masking tape, use a marker and a larger plastic can lid of the appropiate diameter to mark the curve on each side, then a rather large compass or pencil on a string to mark the top curve. cut, trying to not get the blade too hot, tends to melt the plastic,,, then switch to the sanding head and smooth/polish the edges. I didn't even remove the shield last time.

I used a Dremel Multitool with the half-round blade,  there are less expensive ones around... 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Mult ... /206360263

If all else fails, Clearview does sell shorter-than-stock as well as taller replacement shields for the oem Tourer hardware .

I personally use a Madstad RoadGlide shield on a cut-down Clearview  + deflectors on my engine guard to get rid of the buffeting I was getting,
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member
SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member

June 25th, 2018, 4:42 pm #3

Cleve wrote:1st thing is to decide if you're changing seats, New seat may raise or lower you.

WHEN you're ready, use a multi-tool oscillating saw. Tape the shield for about the top 8" with masking tape, use a marker and a larger plastic can lid of the appropiate diameter to mark the curve on each side, then a rather large compass or pencil on a string to mark the top curve. cut, trying to not get the blade too hot, tends to melt the plastic,,, then switch to the sanding head and smooth/polish the edges. I didn't even remove the shield last time.

I used a Dremel Multitool with the half-round blade,  there are less expensive ones around... 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Mult ... /206360263

If all else fails, Clearview does sell shorter-than-stock as well as taller replacement shields for the oem Tourer hardware .

I personally use a Madstad RoadGlide shield on a cut-down Clearview  + deflectors on my engine guard to get rid of the buffeting I was getting,
Cleve you are the best!!!

icandoitfaster
HSATF 1st Officer
icandoitfaster
HSATF 1st Officer

June 25th, 2018, 8:51 pm #4

Attached below is a link to a youtube demo from one of our own. I found it really helpful when cutting down mine. 
cheers
paul

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

June 26th, 2018, 5:12 am #5

I have cut down a couple. my suggestion is that you get some thin (luan) plywood and cut the shape you want on it, if you want the same curve as the OEM shield then you can just trace it. Then clamp the plywood to you shield using C-clamps and small pieces to protect the shield plastic from the clamps. The reason for the plywood is that the jigsaw will leave dents in the windshield if not protected. I have also used a hacksaw blade with a handle made out of tape.

CS

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

June 26th, 2018, 10:15 am #6

Even simply adding an AirHawk R cushion to the current seat may raise you enough to make it a moot point.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member
SherBear2bliss
HSATF Member

June 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm #7

Cleve wrote:Even simply adding an AirHawk R cushion to the current seat may raise you enough to make it a moot point.
That is a good idea but I actually had to lower my seat to gain better footing so it stands to reason I’d also need to lower the shield. Thanks for help me to put two and two together!