Really Hot Tires

TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain
TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain

September 2nd, 2018, 2:57 am #1

Hope this is the right place for this.  Stopped to help a biker couple on the side of the road tonight, newer Goldwing.  He had a flat rear and tow was on the way.  Got to talking and he said he had a brand new set of Avon tires, and had been noticing a smell of hot/burning rubber whenever he rode.  Checking his tires he said both (front and rear) would be extremely hot to the touch.  Checked air pressure before each ride and it was spot on.  Tonight, his rear was too hot for him to touch at all after it failed.  These are the first tires he's run Dynabeads in and he's thinking that's the cause.  Told him I knew lots of riders using them and hadn't heard of this.

Anyone have any similar experience.  My tires get warm but nothing like he is getting.

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

September 2nd, 2018, 5:01 am #2

I had a 1500 Goldwing that had the same type issue but only the rear, every time I rode then got off and walked behind the bike I would smell hot rubber, What was strange is I don't remember the tire being unusually hot? Never did find out what was smelling hot.  I don't see how the dynabeads could cause his tires to heat up. I suggest he go to a Goldwing site and see what others say and/or google it.

CS

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

September 2nd, 2018, 10:14 am #3

The Dunlop Elite3 radial I had for a while would get too hot to touch. Thing also howled like a dry bearing from day 1, couldn't stand the noise and got rid of it before 5K miles. Never noticed any smell though.

If he picked up a nail and it was low on air it could have heated up pretty quick and failed.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer
rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer

September 4th, 2018, 2:41 am #4

I drove a truck for 23 years and I can tell you heat is the number 1 killer of tires. I always touch my tires(car/bike/motorhome) to see if they are running hot, after a while you can tell if one of your tires is low on air. Just because Honda says to run xx amount of air pressure doesn't mean you have to run xx amount of air pressure, Honda doesn't know how much you weigh or how much gear your putting on the bike so you have to adjust the air pressure to match the load the bike is carrying and the way you ride. 

On every bike I own(5) I run anywhere from 5 to 10 psi more pressure in the front tire than the book calls for and never have problems with cupping. For the rear tire it depends on if the bike has a bike tire or a car tire. Most of the bike tires run a little more than what the book calls for but my bikes with a car tire runs a little under what the book calls for.

If your tire is hot, add some air. Warm is great, I was told(a long time ago) 40*f above air temp is what you want after 30 or 40 miles at freeway speed. So a tire running 130* is OK if its 90* outside, but if its 65* 130 is way to much heat to have after 30 miles because in a few more miles as the heat grows higher the tire will begin to delaminate and then bad things can happen.

ROD
So many roads so little time !

rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer
rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer

September 5th, 2018, 3:57 pm #5

Oh one more thing, if you can smell the tire-STOP RIDING !!! Most tires delaminate from the inside to the outside so a tire can look good from the outside but it is shot on the inside and ready to let loose. And we all know Murphy's Law and how it happenes at the worst possible moment. Been there done that !
That is why when I buy a new(to me) vehicle I buy new tires, don't know how the other driver took care of the tires. It only takes one short drive with low air pressure to kill that tire and it wont look any different than a good tire. Spent $1900 on new tires for a used motorhome we bought back in '08 with 16k miles, drove about 5 miles to a tire shop to have new tires put on.  Sure as heck one of the rear tires that came off had extensive heat damage on the inside and I doubt I would have made it 500 miles before it would have let loose. That $1900 spent on new tires saved me a few thousand on wheel-well repairs. Tire money that was Money Well Spent.

ROD
So many roads so little time !