Prep for first ride of the season.

If you have safety tips to pass along to others from lessons learned or safety related questions please post them here.

Prep for first ride of the season.

cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner
cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 8th, 2015, 9:24 am #1

Hey guys and gals; I am thinking ahead to the first ride this season. What preparation do you do beforehand ? The Silverwing scooter I have does not need a lot, but the Tourer is a different beast altogether. It is also a relatively new bike to me, and I am all ears for whatever advice and information you may have.
I am planning on changing the final drive oil before I put the saddlebags up. I plan to take off most of that WD40 that I liberally sprayed on it and give it a general good wash and wax.
Anything you tell me will help. Thanks. Jay.

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

March 8th, 2015, 5:37 pm #2

Check the engine oil and tire pressure and go ride!

cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner
cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 8th, 2015, 6:50 pm #3

Thanks, CS. I am probably overthinking it as always. I do a pre ride check every time I ride and that's basically it: tire pressure, oil check, and lights, horn, blinkers, etc. I am just thinking that it has been sitting in a cold garage and I hope it has not rented space to any critters. My son says he never seen any in the garage, but the property is new to us, so who knows. I'll just have to watch for roast meat odors !!!!

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

March 8th, 2015, 7:45 pm #4

I have had mice build nest in my lawn mower air box, I guess you could pull the seat off to make sure there in nothing nesting in the Tourer intake!

CS

kunkies
HSATF 2nd Officer
kunkies
HSATF 2nd Officer

March 15th, 2015, 10:06 am #5

Agree with Carolina Sun, check the oil level (make sure you are on a flat surface and you do not fully seat the dipstick) and check inflation.

I also perform "pre-flight" before I go out, brake lights, directionals, hi/low beam, etc.

Ride safe,

oconeedan
HSATF 1st Officer
oconeedan
HSATF 1st Officer

March 20th, 2015, 8:01 pm #6

If you have not been riding in a while, take it easy for the first day or two.

J
HSATF Member
J
HSATF Member

March 20th, 2015, 9:26 pm #7

Google the Motorcycle Safety Foundation T-CLOCS inspection checklist. It's comprehensive, but has a lot of good stuff in it.

cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner
cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 21st, 2015, 7:10 pm #8

Thanks, J. I have it bookmarked.