Oil leaking from front cylinder

Please post all oil and other lubricant related discussion in this topic forum.

Oil leaking from front cylinder

Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner
Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner

June 9th, 2018, 7:59 am #1

I have a small oil leak that is progessively getting bigger. When it first started, there was a little oil on the radiator fan and the lower fins on the front cylinder. Now there more oil all over the front, left side of the bike. The high point appears to be right under the left spark plug hole on the front jug.

Is there a gasket there? I am in the diagnostic phase, and looking to see if any of you guys have had a leak in this general area on your T's. I read in another post about the UV dye for oil, I'm going to try that next time im out of work, but thats a couple days away. So I am reading the manual, poking around the bike on my lunch breaks, and asking you guys for now :)

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

June 9th, 2018, 10:31 am #2

Got a couple o-rings around the spark plug well tube, items 14 and 15 here:

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... er-head-fr

Your spark plug wrench in the tool kit should unscrew the tube.  EDIT: after removing the spark plug of course,,, I think. Don't believe the bottom of the tube will clear the plug, but it might, never tried on a Honda.

there's also the cam plug seal, item 8 right above there.

FWIW, the Kawasaki 1500 vulcan had issues where the cam chain would saw a groove in the spark plug tube when the cam chains stretched enough. On those, A guy came up with cam chain tensioner extenders that were easy to install and fixed the problem without tearing down the motor.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner
Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner

June 9th, 2018, 11:38 am #3

Thanks, Cleve. I had no idea the spark plug tubes had an oil seal. They, and the cam plug seal, are on the inspection list now. 

Any more ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner
Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner

June 10th, 2018, 7:39 am #4

I got it! Not a leak...the oil was overfilled :( proper oil level has solved the problem.

Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner
Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner

July 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm #5

Well, draining and refilling the oil to the proper level fixed the big mess. But it is still weeeping a little, leaving quarter size spots on the floor overnight. Looks like the spark plug well o-rings like you thought, Cleve. Will replace and let you know the results.

Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner
Hoppy
HSATF Tail Gunner

July 11th, 2018, 5:52 pm #6

You are correct again, Cleve! Didn't even need new o rings, just removed the well, cleaned everything up and tightened it back down. Did not have to remove the plug to do this job. No more weeping!

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

July 11th, 2018, 6:26 pm #7

That's good news, I'd still give it a couple weeks to be sure though.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.