Motorcycle Crashes at 343 mph in speed record attempt

This forum is for all motorcycle related movies, films and books.

Motorcycle Crashes at 343 mph in speed record attempt

maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer
maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer

March 25th, 2018, 9:11 am #1

Wow, it is incredible that the lady survived.  She received only bumps and bruises.

rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer
rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer

March 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm #2

That's because it's not a motorcycle, well it dose have two wheels but thats the end of the comparison. She had a roll cage around her and she was strapped in good and tight. She could have slid for two miles and not get hurt if the cage does its job. What would have beed disastrous is if the bike took off like a plane got 100 feet up and then slam back down to earth. Look at the video and see when the chute popped out, the bike was going backwards. The chute turned the bike around and brought it to a stop with no wild flipping or hard hits. Without the chute or a chute malfunction it could have been so much worse. It's been a few years since I've been to the flats but most if not all vehicles that have chutes will deploy when the car/bike gets past a pre set angle. That way if a driver has a problem the chute still deploys even if the driver can't reach the chute release.

Its a lot of fun to see these speed runs and if you can make it out to one I highly recommend going and checking out the bikes and cars/streamliners.

ROD
So many roads so little time !

maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer
maxamutt
HSATF 2nd Officer

March 26th, 2018, 7:44 pm #3

That's a good point, Rod.  My only experience with world speed records is the movie "World's Fastest Indian" with Burt Monroe.  I would like to go to the Bonneville Salt Flats one of these days.

rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer
rod rounds
HSATF 1st Officer

March 28th, 2018, 2:36 pm #4

I don't know where you live but they have one and two miles shoot outs all over the US. They take place for the most part on big long airfields. Been to a couple of those to and its unbelievable how fast they get in just two miles from a dead stop. So called street cars with 1000+HP can't even open up the throttle blades all the way till well over 100 mph. Must be nice to be able to light up the tires at 100+ with just your right foot.

ROD
So many roads so little time !