Interchange on parts

JohnnyB2018
HSATF Member
JohnnyB2018
HSATF Member

May 13th, 2018, 10:20 pm #1

So when I brought my T home, the front brake was dragging bad. The rotor is trashed, I disassembled the front brakes and found the outside pad down to metal. I changed the pads and put it back together until I can get a rotor. Pushing it around the garage I noticed it was still really dragging. Pulling the caliper revealed sticking plungers. I disassembled the caliper to find pitted plungers. Rebuild kits are not common unless you eBay them. I opted to replace the caliper and save the other caliper to rebuild at a later date. While searching for a caliper I found the front caliper fits a wide variety of bikes like 750 spirits, 600 vlx etc. What else fits our T. Currently I’m trying to find another handle bar as Dad apparently dropped the T so the bar droops on the right side...=(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain
TrapperAH1G
HSATF Road Captain

May 14th, 2018, 1:05 am #2

I imagine you could make just about any 1" bar work.  Just need to consider cable lengths and not go crazy with ape hangers, etc.

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

May 14th, 2018, 5:08 am #3

As Trapper mentioned pretty much any 1" handlebar will fit in the clamps, the problem is to decide which style you like...there seems to be hundreds of options. I have short arms and I use Harley Heritage style bars.

CS

TNT
HSATF 2nd Officer
TNT
HSATF 2nd Officer

May 14th, 2018, 11:05 am #4

Carolina Son wrote: As Trapper mentioned pretty much any 1" handlebar will fit in the clamps, the problem is to decide which style you like...there seems to be hundreds of options. I have short arms and I use Harley Heritage style bars.

CS
Does it make the T shake and rattle with the HD bars?

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

May 14th, 2018, 5:19 pm #5

TNT wrote:
Carolina Son wrote: As Trapper mentioned pretty much any 1" handlebar will fit in the clamps, the problem is to decide which style you like...there seems to be hundreds of options. I have short arms and I use Harley Heritage style bars.

CS
Does it make the T shake and rattle with the HD bars?

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

May 25th, 2018, 11:08 am #6

Actually, it might make it "shake".  The T bars do have weights welded in the ends to help dampen the vibrations. May want to add some weights when changing. That said, I do have Harley bars on mine and I did add some aftermarket weights inside the bar ends. FWIW, the 750 has removable weights,,, not sure why they welded the T weights in. Be nice to dissect an old set of T bars to see how much they added.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

May 25th, 2018, 3:27 pm #7

As for the interchange, you can go to some of the online parts diagrams, ronayers is a good one, look up the part number, then paste it into their part lookup, for example:  53231-MM8-000

dropped into   https://www.ronayers.com/   then search, brings up the part and price with a where used link at the end. click that.

Note, if your model isn't listed in the results, this does NOT mean a given part will not fit or work, just means Honda never used it there, so try looking up what the part connects to, see if that is the same.  Not 100% accurate, but will give you a good idea on whether or not it may fit. Still could be some trial and error...  for example the T chrome ign switch cover will replace the black plastic one on the 750 Ace perfectly, but Honda never put it there. and can't prove it comparing numbers.
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

JohnnyB2018
HSATF Member
JohnnyB2018
HSATF Member

May 31st, 2018, 9:39 am #8

Cleve wrote:As for the interchange, you can go to some of the online parts diagrams, ronayers is a good one, look up the part number, then paste it into their part lookup, for example:  53231-MM8-000

dropped into   https://www.ronayers.com/   then search, brings up the part and price with a where used link at the end. click that.

Note, if your model isn't listed in the results, this does NOT mean a given part will not fit or work, just means Honda never used it there, so try looking up what the part connects to, see if that is the same.  Not 100% accurate, but will give you a good idea on whether or not it may fit. Still could be some trial and error...  for example the T chrome ign switch cover will replace the black plastic one on the 750 Ace perfectly, but Honda never put it there. and can't prove it comparing numbers.
I’ve kinda been doing that, I go to www.hondapartshouse.com for the part number and then check the interchange on a microfiche site I found. You’re right it’s not always accurate but it helps