Charging gremlins are after me too.

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 13th, 2018, 3:28 pm #1

Flyinglow90s problem sounds a little like my problem. Here are the symptoms. Rode to the rally and back over 1400 miles with no hint of a low battery or slow start. Day before yesterday cleaned The Whole bike .  Yesterday It started fine and I rode it about 50 miles and parked it, took the key with me for about 4 hrs. Came back to the bike put the key in and no juice. Absolutely nothing . I jumped it with a truck battery. It started fine and I rode it back home. Put it on a 10 amp charger for two hrs . The charger showed full charge so I switched to 2 amp and it charged another hr to full charge . Everything seemed to be working fine so it sat overnight. This morn I put the charger (set on 2 amps) back on the bike and the charger still registered the battery as fully charged. I don't have any electrical equipment except for a test light. Can I pull the hot wire off the positive post and use my test light alligator clip placed on the pos battery cable and the Long pointed needle at the other end against the pos battery post to see if there is anything  draining the juice while it sets ? I am also interested in buying a voltmeter for the bike any suggestions? If it had A tach with it it  wouldn't hurt my feelings either .if I need to get a hand held meter for my I'll get one of those too. Make recommendations. I'll get one . Just remember it has to be VERY basic. I still read the instructions on light bulb replacement. Well not if they're written in metric of course.

Si

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 10:16 am #2

Usually a test light is just to test for voltage, I would suggest you get at least a $5.00 meter from Harbour Freight (quite often they give them away) so you can test for current draw. also with a meter you can test your stator and R/R

CS

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 10:41 am #3

The meter your taking about is a volt meter?

tonythecarguy
HSATF 1st Officer
tonythecarguy
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 10:56 am #4

Tom,

You'll need a multi meter to diagnose your issue. Volts and amps. This is what cs was taking about: https://m.harborfreight.com/7-function- ... 20provided

You can check for curent draw at the fuses with just a voltmeter.

Less to take apart as well.

I'm wondering if your battery is showing ok voltage but has no capacity. Most places that sell batteries will load test your battery for free in the hopes that you will need a new one and they can sell it to you.

Tony

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Tony 

Never let a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't go five seconds earlier.

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 2:49 pm #5

Perfect . I've been saying for years  I need one of those  I don't t mind getting the cheap one if that's as good as I'll ever need but I also don't mind spending a few bucks for a good one as long as more expensive doesn't lead to more complex. I will be getting it today. You mentioned the battery and that thought had also crossed my mind. Just because it's new doesn't mean it couldn't be a bad one .let me know if there's a meter you think would be better as soon as you can and I may get it if I haven't already gotten the cheap one. ( simple is paramount) thank you guys 

Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer
Carolina Son
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 3:42 pm #6

As with most things the price range for meters is wide, free -$20 at Harbour Freight up to hundreds for top brands like Fluke. As Tony mentioned you need a multimeter (also called a VOM) and for simple test on a low voltage system like a motorcycle a cheap one should get the job done, you could even google which ones are best in their price range. Also you might want to pick up a package of alligator clip test leads they are helpful in freeing up your hands and extending the meter leads. 

CS
Watched  the video, that mechanic is actually checking for "parasitic"  current draw when circuits are "on" and drawing excessive current, to check for what may be killing your battery when the key is off I would suggest checking for current draw. I sent a PM
Last edited by Carolina Son on September 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 3:51 pm #7

Got it , headed to harbor freight now check back latter , thanks

Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer
Cleve
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 5:20 pm #8

fwiw, my cheap (free) HF meter was measuring a used AA battery at 1.88v the other day, so maybe a little bit better would be prudent. Sears or somewhere similar maybe...
Cleve

Motorcycles: Bigger is NOT better, only bigger.

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 14th, 2018, 5:32 pm #9

Oops saw this too late.no big deal if it doesn’t work I’ll get a better one

Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer
Liber T
HSATF 1st Officer

September 15th, 2018, 11:56 am #10

Looks like I won't be able to work on this until possibly tonight (grandchildren) birthday (y'all probably remember) but this multimeter only shows 5 amp capacity does that mean I can't test a 10 amp fuse?