almost got scammed on craigslist

You have a rant or rave that doesn't relate to motorcycling. Let's hear about it here.

almost got scammed on craigslist

Trollsabre
HSATF 1st Officer
Trollsabre
HSATF 1st Officer

March 12th, 2015, 7:17 pm #1

Yesterday Carol posted a dinning room table and chairs on Craigslist. Within a half hour she started getting text messages from a number in New York city area saying the table is what they were looking for and they wanted to buy it. We asked how that would pick it up and they said they had an "Agent" that would pick up the table that day. They wanted our Pay Pal account address . They said they would send the payment to my email account AND  that they were sending an extra $350.00 Just then I realized it was a scam. Carol told them no sale but they ignored her and sent the email anyway. I called Pay Pal security that . They asked me to forward the email to their security address and told be to print a copy of the email they delete it. I DID ALL THAT PLUS I REMOVED MY BANK AND CREDIT CARD INFO FOR A FEW DAYS. The important thing I didn't do was to click on the link they had sent me to accept the payment. If I had then they would have gotten my bank info or credit card info. Be warned folks!

Fredrider.hondashadowacetourer
HSATF 1st Officer

March 13th, 2015, 6:07 am #2

Phil,

I got the same scam offer when I sold my Nighthawk a year ago January.  Like you, I knew it was a scam when there was extra money involved.  However, you are a better "neighbor" than I since I just ignored it and did not report it to anyone.  Thanks for helping out the next seller.

Snodad
HSATF Member
Snodad
HSATF Member

March 13th, 2015, 8:42 am #3

I got the same scam for my Hyundai I am selling. You have to be careful.

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

March 13th, 2015, 1:35 pm #4

I've gotten so fed up with all of the scam efforts on Craigslist that I write the following into my ads, when I post something for sale.

"Cash only and in person"

If they can't follow that simple requirement, then I'm not dealing with them.

Trollsabre
HSATF 1st Officer
Trollsabre
HSATF 1st Officer

March 15th, 2015, 3:30 pm #5

Thats a good rule Allan. we're doing that too.

Snodad
HSATF Member
Snodad
HSATF Member

March 15th, 2015, 5:56 pm #6

Ditto with me.

cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner
cotetoi
HSATF Tail Gunner

March 16th, 2015, 8:18 am #7

Friend of mine has listed his 650 Burgman on the local Kijiji website and he called me the other day re. suspicious messages supposedly arriving from the admin office of Kijiji. I told him to ignore them because they are phishing for his account. It seems scammers are everywhere. Each time there is a new twist and new bait on their lines. If only they'd turn their savvy into gainful and legitimate pursuits !!! but there'd be no thrill in that for these scumbags.

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

October 3rd, 2016, 3:21 pm #8

I have my Goldwing Trike for sale on Craigslist now.

Along with the "Cash in person" comment, I put a line into the ad that said "I do not need your help selling..."

That hasn't stopped the services from calling, indicating that they have buyers in my area and wanting me to sign up with them, for a fee.

When the first one called, I simply let her talk (and talk and talk) without saying a word.
She went on for a few minutes before realizing that I was not going to respond and finally hung up.

The second started talking and I simply turned the radio up louder and louder while he rambled on.
I guess he hung up, after listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan for a while...

I added another couple of sentences into the ad, as a result.
"If you call me offering your sales services, please understand that I will be rude to you. You've been warned."

I specifically asked them not to call and they do it anyway.

Allan