5 Best Twists and Turns

In search of the perfect road. Do you have a favorite road or destination?

5 Best Twists and Turns

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

June 27th, 2018, 8:02 am #1

For anyone that likes switchbacks, check out this link.

http://www.fortheride.com/stories/5-bes ... and-turns/
Fred

allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer
allanbegg
HSATF 1st Officer

June 30th, 2018, 7:20 pm #2

Fred,

The roads look great, but very little chance I'll ever get any of them off my "to ride" list....

How about a recommendation for the 5 best paved twisty roads in the US?
I've got a better chance of clearing that list.

Thanks for sharing.
Allan

winsuperx1
HSATF Tail Gunner
winsuperx1
HSATF Tail Gunner

July 1st, 2018, 2:37 pm #3

I just did the Needles Highway in the Black Hills of SD the other day on my way back from CO to MN. That's got to be on the list!

fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner
fredrider
HSATF Tail Gunner

July 2nd, 2018, 9:11 am #4

allanbegg wrote: Fred,

The roads look great, but very little chance I'll ever get any of them off my "to ride" list....

How about a recommendation for the 5 best paved twisty roads in the US?
I've got a better chance of clearing that list.

Thanks for sharing.
Allan
Allan,

Recommending the 5 best US roads is a tricky task.  From what I have heard over the years, the two most popular types of roads are -

* dozens of miles of big sweeping turns (like the 130 miles between Red Bluff, CA and Fortuna, CA, or the 75 miles on TN 68 and GA 60 between Tellico Plains, TN and Suches, GA, or the 46 miles between Bishopville, OH and Caldwell, OH

* a few miles of tight turns such as the 11 miles of the Tail of the Dragon/US 129 near Deals Gap, NC, or the 14 miles of the Snake/US 421 near Shady Valley, TN, or the 20 miles of the Back of the Dragon/VA 16 between Marion, VA and Tazewell, VA, or the 22 northern most section of the Pacific Coast Highway/CA 1 between Leggett, CA and Hardy, CA.

There are much curvier roads than any mentioned above, but they are too slow and too technical to be as fun as these mentioned roads, and I am sure there are more scenic roads than those roads mentioned above, but IMHO all of the roads above will bring a smile to the faces of just about all motorcycle riders.  Fortunately, there are way too many wonderful roads to mention all the ones that are truly fun.
Fred