Registering custom choppers in Nebraska?!?

Holzhacker
Holzhacker

July 21st, 2018, 1:23 am #1

Hey there! Newbie here looking to buy a used custom chopper in Iowa. I believe law and regulations there are pretty lose for choppers. I.e. no blinker/indicators, horn, etc required.
How can I get a bike like that registered in Nebraska? I called the DMV and talked to an inspector and he said street legal inspections include a working horn, indicators, break light and front light. Also I need a DOT and EPA sticker. The bike only has a 10 digit number stamped on the frame custom made in South Dakota by Twisted.
Anyone know how to register something like that in Nebraska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

splitt
splitt

July 22nd, 2018, 12:42 am #2

If it is a custom frame, it will be licensed as the year it was assembled, no matter the year of the motor.

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/title/motorcycle

I, myself have never tried to license a motorcycle with a custom frame in Nebraska. From what I understand, it is not that difficult. Finding someone at the local county treasurer's office willing to get you through it is usually the biggest problem. (when you find someone who knows how to do this, remember their name in case you ever do this again)
"Don't fornicate. With the one you love to hate."

Flogging Molly - The Heart of the Sea.

Holzhacker
Holzhacker

July 22nd, 2018, 1:06 pm #3

Thanks Splitt for the link.

I’m sure it’s doable as mentioned but it’s frustrating to read that turn signals are not required but talking with an inspector who says they are.
The part I still have questions on are the DOT and EPA stickers.
The bike only has a plate attached to the frame with a 10 digit VIN number. Apparently that can also double as the DOT according to the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

splitt
splitt

July 23rd, 2018, 1:47 am #4

Yeah, I have had a number of bikes without turn signals, they're not required.

The biggest problem with the DMV is that most of them don't know squat about motorcycles. (other than they only have two wheels)
"Don't fornicate. With the one you love to hate."

Flogging Molly - The Heart of the Sea.