How compress fork spring to install cap bolt.

How compress fork spring to install cap bolt.

RetroRice
RetroRice

June 13th, 2018, 10:25 pm #1

After filling the tubes with fluid I've run out of swear words while trying to get the cap bolts started. A few inches of the spacer tube protrudes from the fork end making it really difficult for a simple minded person such as myself to compress the spring.
I figure one or more of you old geezers, or upstart youngsters, must have a proven method for this.

Next time I'll force the fluid in through the drain holes.
Ah ... to be young and stupid again instead of old and still stupid ...

June 13th, 2018, 11:16 pm #2

Lift the bike so the front wheel is off the ground.

RetroRice
RetroRice

June 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm #3

I was trying to avoid the jack because its such a balancing act on my $39.99 Hardly Freight unit. I'll use it and while I'm at I'll take the handle bars off to allow better access to the fork tops. I tried a scissors jack between the top of the tire and the bottom of the tweek bar thinking it would do the same as hanging the front end off the jack. I ceased when it didn't seem like the forks were extending.
Ah ... to be young and stupid again instead of old and still stupid ...

June 13th, 2018, 11:55 pm #4

Got two ratchet straps?
Hook them from the rafters to the lower triple tree.
Only have to lift the front wheel slightly off the floor.

bikerdave65
bikerdave65

July 10th, 2018, 11:40 pm #5

they are all right , you need to get the front wheel all the way down as far as possible so the springs are at the bottom of their travel, then you can start the fork caps by hand carefull not to cross thread them then just run them down with the ratchet. I just did this last weekend on my DOHC 750 when I changed the fork oil