Zombicide: Black Plague Accessories

Zombicide: Black Plague Accessories

Vail Marston
Registered User
Vail Marston
Registered User
Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

May 24th, 2017, 9:34 pm #1

I sometimes have trouble remembering the danger level when spawning zombies, especially playing solo, so I decided to make a reminder indicator, then expanded it into a deck holder.

Molds used: Ruined Fieldstone #75, Flagstone Floor Tile #260, Fieldstone Wall #70, Inn Building Accessories #57

The indicator dial is made from a 2" Reaper mini base, plastic card, green stuff, and some bits from my parts box.







Quote
Like
Share

Vail Marston
Registered User
Vail Marston
Registered User
Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

May 24th, 2017, 9:37 pm #2

I'm also working on some markers for when there are just too many zombies to fit on the board. The zombie figures will go on the board, the columns will stay off the board with the corresponding horde of zombies.

Quote
Like
Share

Oldman Willow
Registered User
Oldman Willow
Registered User
Joined: July 24th, 2010, 4:43 pm

May 24th, 2017, 10:19 pm #3

Very cool!
Quote
Like
Share

Dunkin
Registered User
Dunkin
Registered User
Joined: March 5th, 2013, 7:19 pm

May 25th, 2017, 4:28 am #4

I really like this style. Love the paintwork. Would love to hear you paintng technique for this. Plus, how did you incorporate the shield and other items into the set? Love some details.
Quote
Like
Share

Vail Marston
Registered User
Vail Marston
Registered User
Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

May 25th, 2017, 2:12 pm #5

Thanks Dunkin. I was trying a different painting technique for this, using natural sponges and thinned paint that lets the color underneath show through. I was pretty happy with the results. It gave a lot of nice texture and variation without being that much more work than the traditional Hirst technique.

I used bricks tinted with cement colorant so I just used clear acrylic floor wax for the first coat.
Then I painted on a coat of thin brown black paint and wiped it off to leave just the recesses painted.
Then I sponged on a thin medium brown, followed by a thin light brown. Since the sponge puts more paint on raised areas, you get texture and highlighting at the same time. It takes a little practice to get the right amount of paint on the sponge.
I also sponged on some green and yellow paint to simulate lichen, but that didn't really come through in the final result.
Then I did a very light drybrush with light tan.
Then I applied a wash of dark green brown.
Finally, I used various colors of diluted ink to tint some of the individual stones.

The rust color of the indicator was also done with natural sponge.

The shield and back of the indicator were made of green stuff pressed into an Instant Mold impression of the first player coin from the game. I then trimmed the shield and carefully routed out a depression for it with a Dremel tool and diamond bit.
Quote
Like
Share

Dunkin
Registered User
Dunkin
Registered User
Joined: March 5th, 2013, 7:19 pm

May 26th, 2017, 2:17 am #6

Nice work. You gave me some ideas. Keep it up.
Quote
Like
Share

Marell le Fou
Registered User
Marell le Fou
Registered User
Joined: December 13th, 2016, 10:21 pm

May 31st, 2017, 4:44 am #7

Excellent work !

I love your painting job on this. Really. It's more or less the tone i use myself for the walls of my Mordheim city and i was lacking new ideas. I had decided to add stones with a different colour and i did not know exactly what colours to chose. You give me excellent examples... Thanks !
Quote
Like
Share

steamcrow
Registered User
steamcrow
Registered User
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 5:09 pm

May 31st, 2017, 10:50 pm #8

Wow, super cool! Your painting technique is really great, and I love your danger dial.

Now to find some examples of custom floor tiles for the game.
Daniel m DavisSteam Crow
Quote
Like
Share

Rienen
Registered User
Rienen
Registered User
Joined: September 24th, 2005, 12:26 am

June 14th, 2017, 12:41 pm #9

Soooo going in my "Inspirations" (Steal This Idea!) folder....
Current molds: 40(x2), 41(x2), 42, 43, 44, 45(x2), 50(x2), 52, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 63(x3), 64, 65, 66(x2), 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 80, 85, 86, 87, 88, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 164, 200(x2), 201(x3), 203, 205, 210, 211, 220, 221, 230, 235, 240, 245, 250, 260, 261, 267, 268(x2), 281(x3), 282(x2), 290, 291, 701 ... my god I need a life...
Quote
Like
Share

Vail Marston
Registered User
Vail Marston
Registered User
Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

February 13th, 2018, 7:04 pm #10

Posting a little more info on the dial construction in response to a question:



This picture shows the components of the dial in the order they go together. From left to right: the 2" Reaper mini base with green stuff back, the disk with printed dial face (there's another disk used as a spacer), the cover with reading window, and the handle for turning the disk.

The disk face is just printed and glued to a polystyrene card disk that fits within the base. A rivet is epoxied to the disk as a spindle. This disk was a little loose, so I added a second disk as a spacer so it would fit snugly and not turn too easily.

The cover is also made from polystyrene card with some bits added.

The handle is the bottom of a birdcage charm from the craft store clearance aisle.
Quote
Like
Share