BoreasNL
BoreasNL

September 4th, 2018, 8:48 pm #181

Two evenings of painting, and I've completed another batch of filling...

There are some HirstArts items, but also Thomarillion and Fenryll... 

And a couple of shots with a blacksmith (this modelm is from MiniMonsters) for scale...

I highly doubt this bloke can read, but he sure looks good in front of these bookcases...

This counter is from Fenryll and has lingered in a box for almost ten years, unpainted... I'm glad I've finally painted it, as it is a very characterful piece of furniture.

This wardrobe or armoire is from Thomarillion... It looks like it could take you straight to Narnia...

Still a lot more furniture and clutter is needed to leave an impact on the dungeon...

ForgottenLabyrinth
ForgottenLabyrinth

September 6th, 2018, 3:18 am #182

Very nice!

Deuc08
Deuc08

September 6th, 2018, 11:06 am #183

Looks really good, I love it. Can you advise about the method used to paint the wood? Is it just a dark brown base with a dry-brushing afterwards or did you use washes ?

BoreasNL
BoreasNL

September 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm #184

Thanks guys! 

@Deuc08 
For the darker cupboards and cabinets I don't use any washes. I start with a very dark brown and work towards the lighter colour using several layers of drybrushing.

The lighter pieces of furniture are given a lighter base, folowed by a drybrush, a wash and then a final drybrush...

I primarily use GW paint, but more and more flasks of Vallejo paint seem to find their way into my collection of paints. For both recipes I could give you a list of the colours I used, if you'd like...

I picked up my order from Reaper Miniatures today, expect more NPC's soon! 

Deuc08
Deuc08

September 7th, 2018, 6:22 am #185

Thks for the answer :) Yes a list of GW colors used would be great. I still have plenty of Thomarillion furniture lying around waiting to be painted since years.

By the way, all those furniture would look great with your Mordheim board as well. Did you ever painted it ?

Malinor
Malinor

September 9th, 2018, 5:47 pm #186

Delightfully done! the pieces really add character to the dungeon scene.
<br><a href="http://ajstable.blogspot.com/" target="_blank"></a>

BoreasNL
BoreasNL

September 9th, 2018, 9:05 pm #187

@Deuc08 
No problem! I base my furniture with Rhinox Hide, and follow up with a drybrush of Doombull Brown and then a final drybrush of Skrag Brown... To add further variety I sometimes replace the Skrag Brown with Deathclaw Brown...

@Malinor 
Thank you very much!

Today, inspiration struck... While preparing a list for Crisis 2018 I was browsing the Thomarillion webshop, where I came across this picture... I thought to myself, I can do this, too...

For a while I have been thinking about adding a purpose built library to the dungeon. This picture sparked the inspiration for the following dungeon room...

The base ov the module, 4mm MDF...

I wanted a spacious room, this one measures 9x7 Inch...

I opted for two entrances/exits...

I also wanted this particular room to have a red and white tiled floor...

A large portion of the room is going to have high, recessed walls...

A custom made support for the upper floor...

A quick mock-up of the upper floor. The central support is something I am not yet sure of. I might remove it in favor of the ability to access the space beneath the upper floor...

And an impression of how the library would look with some furniture in it...

As you can see, the room is not yet finished. I still need to cast 8 of the large arches to complete the walls. Once completed, this will be one of the most detailed rooms I have in my dungeon.

Also, this is the first module to include a wooden structure... It's the first time I used these parts from the Inn molds. I quite like the combination and I think more will follow...

DungeonsNSnapDragons
DungeonsNSnapDragons

September 14th, 2018, 1:06 am #188

your projects are always amazing.How do you cast so many pieces? Do you have custom molds?

BoreasNL
BoreasNL

September 14th, 2018, 10:33 am #189

Thanks!

I have a few custom molds, but only with some decorational items. The regular blocks are cast from just the normal Hirst molds. When working on a project like this, I try to cast one or two times a day (after work), using about ten molds... For this particular dungeon module, I needed seven large, 2 Inch arches, which means fourteen casts of the mold that makes these. 

I have a small supply of the most common blocks, enough to build a couple of smaller dungeon modules... 

BoreasNL
BoreasNL

September 14th, 2018, 8:23 pm #190

One of the things I appreciate about building stuff with Hirst blocks, is that it takes time and preparation... The time and effort needed to cast enough blocks ensure for a calm hobby project.

As for projects... I really, really, really wanted to build a spiral staircase. This one is meant as a piece of furniture, able to be moved around. The idea is that this staircase linked to one of the hatches I made a few weeks ago, so I can divide the dungeon into levels. 

As the spiral staircase won't remain upright on it's own, I added a bookcase. Besides added stability, the bookcase also adds a bit of detail and flavour.

Almost done... Just one half of the final arch to cast. I should be able to finish this module before the weekend is through...