Garreco Fastone?

Garreco Fastone?

dave.c.hubbard
dave.c.hubbard

June 19th, 2018, 6:26 pm #1

Hello all,

Looking to try out this aspect of the hobby and there's a dental supply store not far from me that sells a product called Garreco Fastone.  Does anyone know if this is a workable dental stone material?

http://www.parkwaydentalsupply.com/sear ... &search=GO

Bruce Hirst
Bruce Hirst

June 20th, 2018, 3:09 am #2

By looking at the specs, it's 9,000 psi which is twice as hard as plaster of Paris. It seems a little expensive but you'll save a bunch of money on shipping if you can pick it up yourself. Shipping a 50 pound box can run you around $40 alone.

It also shows a setting time of about 10 minutes, so you might not have a lot of time after you mix it up. I imagine you could fill about 2-4 molds and scrape it immediately but you'll probably need to work fast. On the upside, you'll also be able to demold your blocks a bit quicker as well.

The hardness is about the same as what folks get using hydrostone which some people have found at their local lumberyards for a bit less money. However, none of the lumberyards in my area carry hydrostone so it may be hard to find in your area as well.

I would suggest trying out the smaller size (25 pounds) and see how you like it. I'm pretty sure it will work and be hard enough for good castings but I have never used this material myself.

Thanks,
Bruce Hirst

tdhowell@gmail.com
tdhowell@gmail.com

July 7th, 2018, 11:19 pm #3

I've worked with some fast setting stone before, and it's interesting. Be sure to play with the mix ratio a bit.  Too little powder and the bricks will break in your hands; it's definitely not as forgiving as Excalibur and Hydrostone.  Also, be sure to scrape off the excess as soon as possible, because it will definitely set very quickly.  With that, I would also suggest not to do too many molds at once because by the time you come back to scrape the first mold it could already be hardening.  

But, if you can get the mix down, you can make a lot of casts in a short amount of time.  

mdphilps
mdphilps

July 12th, 2018, 11:01 am #4

If you don't mind a little drive - the Plaster Guys are in Glenside PA.

I've been using their Flow Stone with great success.  They also have a Die Stone too.
Molds: 57 58 59 70 71 75 85 177 178 179 206 222 223 224 701 702

Bethany
Bethany

July 14th, 2018, 6:46 pm #5

You will need to work fast as the others have said.  If you are new to casting, you may want to try Merlin's Magic.  It was formulated for the hobby industry in that you do not need to vibrate to prevent air bubbles - so it may be a little easier to work with. We sell Merlins, Excalibur, and Fastone but there is additional cost for shipping.  Good luck!  www.atlanticdentalsupply.com