Dunkin's Modular Dungeons (Updated 05-05-2018) (Pic heavy!)

Dunkin
Dunkin

November 15th, 2017, 3:08 am #101

Hey Germanimal, you could certainly use corkboard but I would recommend against it as corkboard might not be sturdy enough to endure the pieces getting banged around like MDF or wood would. Corkboard is good for filling in elevated flooring on top of MDF, however.

Just my two cents.

GeRmAnImAl
GeRmAnImAl

November 17th, 2017, 7:16 pm #102

Dunkin wrote: Hey Germanimal, you could certainly use corkboard but I would recommend against it as corkboard might not be sturdy enough to endure the pieces getting banged around like MDF or wood would. Corkboard is good for filling in elevated flooring on top of MDF, however.

Just my two cents.
That makes sense, where do you get your MDF? Seems pretty hard to find around me. Every time I ask someone they give me a weird look and respond “MDF?” Lol

hyperknight
hyperknight

January 10th, 2018, 6:06 am #103

You sir are doing the work of Pelor. Your images have been an inspiration for my modular dungeons :)

I wanted to ask you if it's possible for you to share the picture file for the stairs leading down? I'm trying to replicate the same work, but my photoshop skills are worse that a newb's. 

Roga Danar
Roga Danar

January 10th, 2018, 4:43 pm #104

Dunkin, I would also be grateful if you could share the file.  My photoshop skills are zero but I really would like to use the technique.  Your modular dungeon build has been the inspiration for my own and the down stairs photoshop solution was brilliant.
Thanks

Dunkin
Dunkin

May 6th, 2018, 4:33 am #105

Under City Ruins

Just catching up on my posting my projects. Here's one I forgot to post here. I've been super busy with getting our new house together so the latest projects have been a bit of a rush to get done. This session took place in a ruined city block long since built over by the current city (If you know Pathfinder, this is a tiny section of Cassomir's Locker under the city of Cassomir). 

This adventure area was built in sections to allow future reusability, but I wanted to keep the housing areas a single piece to help place them down faster. The image below is one of the rubbled houses before I got to painting the set.

This set uses a combination of Hirst Arts and 4Bot Industries molds to cast the pieces with.

The walls and cobblestones were created from Hirst Arts molds while the cavern walls came from 4Bot Industries molds.

This was a rough test setup in order to see how my design looked before I made adjustments. Even though the game map was itself a rectangular design on the page, I wanted a more organic look. However, I feel I failed to achieve it mostly because I ran out of time to get the project done before gamenight.

Here's the final look, complete with set dressing and miniatures added to the terrain set.

And this is the "expanded" view with all the set pieces separated. Building it this way allows for much more reusability and versatility.

Gratuitous eye-candy pics.

The top part of the image below shows the ruined buildings with dressing pieces added. The bottom part of the image shows them separate.

The set pieces were also created with Hirst Arts molds. I place them down using tacky putty or a tiny bit of modeling clay.

Each cavern wall is a different design made by combining a range of 4Bot Industries  and Hirst Arts cast pieces. The flock debris was a combination of coffee grounds and small pebbles glued before final painting.

It's my hope to prototype out a simple modular cave system. I tested it here. If I like the direction of this idea, I'll add some simple cavern floors to replace the cobblestone floors a put in temporarily in the picture above.

I painted the cavern walls with a splotchy method using burnt umber, dark brown, moss green and ochre yellow after I painted a everything a base base black. To seal it all together, I lightly dry brushed it with a gray.

Lastly, just for kicks, here's some of the miniatures I painted up for the game session. The dwarves and rats are Reaper Miniatures while the horse and cart are from Dwarven Forge.

Hope this inspires.

Marell le Fou
Marell le Fou

May 7th, 2018, 3:37 am #106

FUCKING WOW !!!!

However, I feel I failed to achieve it mostly because I ran out of time to get the project done before gamenight.
Haha, yeah, odly, you're a so bad caster and paintor, Dunkin my dear. Not at all a source of inspiration and respect to us, poor lurkers of this forum.

Seriously, you did a wonderfull job.

I like the size and diversity of your sceneries and rooms, but more than everything, you paint it with a style that really allow light. Your soft tones and clear colours are exactly what i try to obtain with my own sceneries. We frequently see very dark dungeons everywhere when looking for HI stuff, and i underline you have avoided this problem completly.

Dunkin
Dunkin

May 7th, 2018, 6:02 am #107

Haha! Thanks Marell. I appreciate that greatly. I'm watching your work for inspiration too. Keep up the great work yourself. :)

Marell le Fou
Marell le Fou

May 9th, 2018, 4:46 am #108

by the way, i'm impressed by the thickness or your cavern walls. Isn't it too heavy ? It must take a lot of place...

BurningAngel
BurningAngel

May 10th, 2018, 6:12 pm #109

ok, this is amazing! 
very nice work man!
Mold: 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 54, 57, 64, 65, 75, 85, 201, 205, 221, 281, 320, 325, 701Open to exchange: 320 and 325 
Need: 59, 222, 250, 282