Under City Ruins
Just catching up on my posting my projects. Here's one I forgot to post here. I've been super busy with getting our new house together so the latest projects have been a bit of a rush to get done. This session took place in a ruined city block long since built over by the current city (If you know Pathfinder, this is a tiny section of Cassomir's Locker under the city of Cassomir).
This adventure area was built in sections to allow future reusability, but I wanted to keep the housing areas a single piece to help place them down faster. The image below is one of the rubbled houses before I got to painting the set.
This set uses a combination of Hirst Arts and 4Bot Industries molds to cast the pieces with.
The walls and cobblestones were created from Hirst Arts molds while the cavern walls came from 4Bot Industries molds.
This was a rough test setup in order to see how my design looked before I made adjustments. Even though the game map was itself a rectangular design on the page, I wanted a more organic look. However, I feel I failed to achieve it mostly because I ran out of time to get the project done before gamenight.
Here's the final look, complete with set dressing and miniatures added to the terrain set.
And this is the "expanded" view with all the set pieces separated. Building it this way allows for much more reusability and versatility.
Gratuitous eye-candy pics.
The top part of the image below shows the ruined buildings with dressing pieces added. The bottom part of the image shows them separate.
The set pieces were also created with Hirst Arts molds. I place them down using tacky putty or a tiny bit of modeling clay.
Each cavern wall is a different design made by combining a range of 4Bot Industries and Hirst Arts cast pieces. The flock debris was a combination of coffee grounds and small pebbles glued before final painting.
It's my hope to prototype out a simple modular cave system. I tested it here. If I like the direction of this idea, I'll add some simple cavern floors to replace the cobblestone floors a put in temporarily in the picture above.
I painted the cavern walls with a splotchy method using burnt umber, dark brown, moss green and ochre yellow after I painted a everything a base base black. To seal it all together, I lightly dry brushed it with a gray.
Lastly, just for kicks, here's some of the miniatures I painted up for the game session. The dwarves and rats are Reaper Miniatures while the horse and cart are from Dwarven Forge.
Hope this inspires.