1.5" hex mold for Gloomhaven

1.5" hex mold for Gloomhaven

Bruce Hirst

05 Nov 2017, 12:53 #1

Hello everyone!

Within a couple of weeks I should be finishing up this hex mold for Gloomhaven, which could also be used for other hex games. Like my rock hex molds, this one will be double sized which allows be to fit two more hexes on the mold (compared to two thin molds). The 1.5" is the measurement is from flat to flat. The tiles are also 1/4" thick, matching all of my other floor tile molds.

As you can see, only half the mold is full so far. The other half will be stone floor hexes which I am working on now.

The hexes are extremely precise and the planks line up nicely but you can still see the hex pattern in the floor for easy movement. Half and partial hexes can be put together to make full hexes as well.

I should have this mold finished in a couple of weeks, so it should be available by Thanksgiving near the end of November. Since this mold is thinner, yet double in size, it will be double the cost of a thin mold (29 x 2=$58.00) but it will also count as two molds for shipping and discount purposes.

I was working on pieces for a very large Science Fiction project, but I wanted to get something out in time for Christmas and Gloomhaven is becoming very popular. I would also like to make an outdoor hex tile set as well but getting the texture and painting method right might take a bit of research to make that happen (so an outdoor mold might not be in time for Christmas).

Thanks,
Bruce Hirst

Galileo

05 Nov 2017, 14:44 #2

Spiffy!  I'm always impressed with the amount of work you put into your pieces and how well they cast.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Marell le Fou

05 Nov 2017, 23:59 #3

I will have no use of such a mold i think, but good work nevertheless !

It's really important for me to see you do continue proposing new molds regularily.

Highland Piper

07 Nov 2017, 16:00 #4

If this was 1" hex flat-to-flat I'd be all over it as the main rpg game I play uses 1" hexes and a few wargames as well.  1.5" has no use for me at all.
[img width="468" height="60"]http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/images/banners/highland.gif[/img]

willypold

07 Nov 2017, 18:03 #5

More molds done in 1.5 inch is, on the other hand, exactly what I'm looking for!

Bruce Hirst

08 Nov 2017, 13:29 #6

So can anyone tell me which board games using 28-30mm figures actually use 1" sized hexes for movement? The 1" is measured from flat to flat. I hear the Dungeons & Dragons uses them for outdoor movement but I've never actually seen anyone play the game using hexes. Instead they just use squares for inside the dungeons.

I would consider making some 1" hexes if I could justify enough board games that use them that also use 28mm figures and need scenic details of the same scale. I've previously avoided them because 1" hexes don't give you much room for movement and trying to assemble a large floor is difficult because they don't line up as easily as 1" squares do.

Thanks,
Bruce Hirst

willypold

08 Nov 2017, 13:58 #7

I have no idea about games using 1 inch hexes for movement, but on the other hand the new arena game from Games Workshop, Shadespire, is using 2 inch hexes. I bought the game yesterday and I'm already thinking about getting the 2 inch mold. More molds of that size with different textures, like the one you're showing above, would be nice.

Highland Piper

10 Nov 2017, 09:06 #8

Board games seem to run all over the place when it comes to hexes.  Large overland games can use 0.7" - 2" hexes, RPG's and tactical miniature wargames usually use 1" where as games like Mechwarrior/Solaris 7 (now defunct but still has a fan base) and Battle tech would use 1.5" hexes.

I've posted to my GURPS pages, Google+, and my pathetic blog so hopefully the one person that follows me will come here and voice their opinion on 1" hex moulds.
[img width="468" height="60"]http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/images/banners/highland.gif[/img]

Falhurk

11 Nov 2017, 20:53 #9

Super cool mold Bruce.

Highland Piper, you're alive!  I'm going to PM you. 

willypold

11 Nov 2017, 21:20 #10

I measured the bases today and the larger bases used on some of the Shadespire models are 40 mm across, which means that the 1.5 inch hex tiles will work!