Why do my boys have to copy movies?

Why do my boys have to copy movies?

June 9th, 2012, 10:06 pm #1

They are driving me crazy - they watch a movie and then they try to act out the characters - that is all the fighting bits.

I mean - Bambi? Their favourite bit is the two stags fighting with their antlers (and here was me thinking that Bambi was a bit sad, but a nice film - not aggressive etc - WRONG!). So lots of headbutting following that movie

Lion King triggered scratching

Ice Age - more scratching and jumping on each other

How to Tame a Dragon - lots of jumping from furniture to furniture.

Spiderman - lots of jumping about

We only have a movie one night a week and I do enjoy the peace from watching movies - but I am not enjoying their behaviour afterwards.

I have told them to stop it or I won't let them have any more movies - we had a ban on lion king for ages. Tonight I thought I would let them watch a documentary on dinosaurs and had to turn it off halfway because they just started jumping on each other, biting. I switched off and took them by their hands and sent them to bed as we were suppose to be on wind down time but they were clearly being winded up the way.

and every night this week I have gone to bed thinking "tomorrow, I will try and not shout at them" + "tomorrow I will try and keep calm" Wishful thinking!

June 10th, 2012, 12:14 am #2

And always the little things we think they won't notice or hope they won't notice.

I don't recall how old your oldest ds is, but I have a 4.5 yr. old & a 2 yr. old & we do TV, but really limit their selection. Nothing with fighting or bad guys.

They're watching Curious George right now while I get a break. My suggestion, to the extent you're even looking for any, would be to get some milder cartoons on DVD. Since they include multiple episodes, you will get the break you want without the other stuff that inevitably seems to come with a movie.

Curious George & Thomas the Train are their big favorites. Ds #1 does come home from preschool talking about Star Wars, Spiderman, Batman, etc., but they are stuck watching what we've bought & it's all really benign stuff.

I'm not sure if that kind of thing would hold your oldest's attention or not, but I imagine there are equally benign selections for slightly older kids.

Good luck! And as I have 2 boys, too, I know the wrestling & fighting come anyway, but you might be able to lessen in a bit. As I type, I'm grateful mine are getting along really well this afternoon. Other times it's a different story & there's lots of whining & fighting, usually more on the older one's side. Mooooom, X messed up my (fill in the blank)! Don't TOUCH, X!!!!! Followed by wails, etc. Toy stealing, too.

June 10th, 2012, 12:41 am #3

They are driving me crazy - they watch a movie and then they try to act out the characters - that is all the fighting bits.

I mean - Bambi? Their favourite bit is the two stags fighting with their antlers (and here was me thinking that Bambi was a bit sad, but a nice film - not aggressive etc - WRONG!). So lots of headbutting following that movie

We only have a movie one night a week and I do enjoy the peace from watching movies - but I am not enjoying their behaviour afterwards.

I have told them to stop it or I won't let them have any more movies - we had a ban on lion king for ages. Tonight I thought I would let them watch a documentary on dinosaurs and had to turn it off halfway because they just started jumping on each other, biting. I switched off and took them by their hands and sent them to bed as we were suppose to be on wind down time but they were clearly being winded up the way.

and every night this week I have gone to bed thinking "tomorrow, I will try and not shout at them" + "tomorrow I will try and keep calm" Wishful thinking!
The super hero movies are the worst!! I think it must be on the Y chromosome. Your boys are a bit older so this may not work so well, but I try and put the movies that trigger the physical stuff for early in the day when they seem to have a better handle on their behavior. Before bed is an absolute nightmare!! Right now, my boys are watching Leapfrog Math on the Moon from the library. They love it, and no crazy physical stuff to follow!!!

I dont buy my boys any sort of guns (except water guns for the summer) and they turn everything into a gunpieces of cheese, apple slices, you name it!! Drives me crazy, all the shooting (I think I was shot over 100 times at least today alone!!) but I have had to learn to ignore it!

So, yes, I think its totally normal guy stuff.

Good thing I can handle the passing gas humor. Now that doesnt bother me in the least!!

Pink
Last edited by Pinkdandelion on June 10th, 2012, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2012, 2:02 pm #4

my ds really got into air bending or fire bending or water bending when we started watching Avatar, The Last Of The Airbenders. Awesome, addictive animated series.
We are now watching The LEgend Of Korra, the next generation in the Avatar series. Even my DD loves it. Even if it's bit old for her.

but yeah, boys tend to fixate on the aggressive elements of stories. There is a reason why movies for adults tend to have some romance and some action; add some humour and you get a block buster.

As moms, we can only hope they don't maim each other.
lol

julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm #5

And always the little things we think they won't notice or hope they won't notice.

I don't recall how old your oldest ds is, but I have a 4.5 yr. old & a 2 yr. old & we do TV, but really limit their selection. Nothing with fighting or bad guys.

They're watching Curious George right now while I get a break. My suggestion, to the extent you're even looking for any, would be to get some milder cartoons on DVD. Since they include multiple episodes, you will get the break you want without the other stuff that inevitably seems to come with a movie.

Curious George & Thomas the Train are their big favorites. Ds #1 does come home from preschool talking about Star Wars, Spiderman, Batman, etc., but they are stuck watching what we've bought & it's all really benign stuff.

I'm not sure if that kind of thing would hold your oldest's attention or not, but I imagine there are equally benign selections for slightly older kids.

Good luck! And as I have 2 boys, too, I know the wrestling & fighting come anyway, but you might be able to lessen in a bit. As I type, I'm grateful mine are getting along really well this afternoon. Other times it's a different story & there's lots of whining & fighting, usually more on the older one's side. Mooooom, X messed up my (fill in the blank)! Don't TOUCH, X!!!!! Followed by wails, etc. Toy stealing, too.

only its not - as you say, they totally home in on the bits that you would never thing to notice (no way did I think Bambi would result in headbutting!)

my boys are 5, 3 and 22 months and my 10 weeks old baby

they love rough play but they cry so easily too and I keep telling them "if you want to play rough then you must take the knocks and don't come running to me crying" but of course they still come to me and then immediately get back into rough play. What can I do except tie them up?

I recently bought "Puss in the Boot" - hopefully that will be safe enough?

June 10th, 2012, 9:14 pm #6

The super hero movies are the worst!! I think it must be on the Y chromosome. Your boys are a bit older so this may not work so well, but I try and put the movies that trigger the physical stuff for early in the day when they seem to have a better handle on their behavior. Before bed is an absolute nightmare!! Right now, my boys are watching Leapfrog Math on the Moon from the library. They love it, and no crazy physical stuff to follow!!!

I dont buy my boys any sort of guns (except water guns for the summer) and they turn everything into a gunpieces of cheese, apple slices, you name it!! Drives me crazy, all the shooting (I think I was shot over 100 times at least today alone!!) but I have had to learn to ignore it!

So, yes, I think its totally normal guy stuff.

Good thing I can handle the passing gas humor. Now that doesnt bother me in the least!!

Pink
is fine and then chill out for a half hour with a programme in the evening and on a Friday it is a movie night. Actually, if it was up to me, they would not get any tv in the evening as I don't find it great for bedtimes but my DH insists on letting them have it (in fact, when he is about tv consumption goes up considerably!)

but yes, boys seem to be programmed for boisterous, rough behaviour - I totally agree!

June 10th, 2012, 9:20 pm #7

my ds really got into air bending or fire bending or water bending when we started watching Avatar, The Last Of The Airbenders. Awesome, addictive animated series.
We are now watching The LEgend Of Korra, the next generation in the Avatar series. Even my DD loves it. Even if it's bit old for her.

but yeah, boys tend to fixate on the aggressive elements of stories. There is a reason why movies for adults tend to have some romance and some action; add some humour and you get a block buster.

As moms, we can only hope they don't maim each other.
lol

julie

FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my mother worries constantly that the boys are going to give each other a nasty injury - she never tires to tell me about bad stories of rough play.

I feel like I have a house full of monkeys too with them swinging off doors, and jumping from furniture to furniture. I now cannot shut my bedroom door (hinges must be knackered and no wonder).

yes boys (shaking my head here too - LOL)

June 10th, 2012, 10:49 pm #8

could you get them busy preparing a "performance" for you? Have them color a big paper for the the scenery, get out the dress-up clothes for costumes, and practice what they are going to say and do? When my kids would do a performance like they, we grown-ups would sit on the stairs, and the "stage" would be the foyer. Sometimes they would even make tickets for the show. Keeps them busy in a number of good ways for a pretty long time.

The good thing is that you are exposing them to stuff that engages their imagination...now if only they could just rein it in just a bit!

xoxoxoxo
MM

June 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm #9

my mother worries constantly that the boys are going to give each other a nasty injury - she never tires to tell me about bad stories of rough play.

I feel like I have a house full of monkeys too with them swinging off doors, and jumping from furniture to furniture. I now cannot shut my bedroom door (hinges must be knackered and no wonder).

yes boys (shaking my head here too - LOL)
is actually hands off violence. It's all about bending/moving air or water or fire or earth. It's a fun series.
During the whole 3 seasons, young Ang is conflicted about how to defeat the imperialistic Fire Lord; he doesn't want to kill him but he does need to stop him and his evil ways.

Not to be confused with Avatar, the live-action/CGI block buster with blue skinned aliens.

Julie

FSH 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 11th, 2012, 6:44 pm #10

You or your DH join them in imitating the parts that are more agreeable - they will continue with your game.

Adee
Adee