Toenail injury... any experience? (+ opinion wanted)

Toenail injury... any experience? (+ opinion wanted)

April 27th, 2012, 1:20 pm #1

At prek pickup for my 5yo DS, my 3yo was hit by a huge fire door. He barely cried at first and I didn't notice at first that his toenail had been ripped to the point of hanging off. This is me y weak area. I can deal with blood, stichtes, shots, gi things, but not nails! I took him to the docs and there isn't much to do, but now it is getting sore and ugly. He slept with me for the first time since he was a baby last night because he ripped off the bandage in his sleep and kept hitting it. ouch! ouch! ouch! I can't even stand to write this without feeling the pain. Anyway, anyone had this experience? Any treatment advice?

Also, the person that did this is a nanny to one of the students. He was in front of the door that is usually isn't used, but since it is a brand new commercial door you can push it very hard and use it. DS was in front of this door as I was attempting to open the other half of the double door to get into the building. There is glass in the door and if you peek over the glass you can see little ones on the other side. However, this woman can't because she is almost completely blind. She has slight vision, but uses a walking stick and has very think glasses. I was asking about sitters one day at pickup and she handed me a card.

Before that I had thought she was a relative, but she isn't. So, my question is what is your opinion about hiring this sort of physical challenge for your sitter? I must say I was considering it, but felt very uneasy about it. Then, I felt guilty for thinking she can't be just as good of a caretaker than anyone else. After this door incident, I focused on her disability as a big part of the cause--- I absolutely think it played a role given the quick turn of events. She just didn't see us on the other side. However, my foggy brain could of caused the same outcome. I'm just very conflicted and was wondering what you smart ladies thought????

April 27th, 2012, 6:40 pm #2

and the pediatrician referred us to an orthopedist, who sutured the nail back on to act as a self-bandage to prevent infection. Eventually it fell off. I think ds wore an orthopedic boot for a while to prevent further trauma and re-injury.

Ow. I get sick at my stomach just thinking about it. Poor little guy! I'd really like to get him some shoes that he only wears inside the house, b/c he did this running out our back door, which is heavy, but not as heavy as the one that hurt your ds.

Is it infected?

I do not think a visually disabled person should be a nanny and I can absolutely see your point about how she could have caused or contributed to the accident. It's one thing to have a parent who is visually disabled. That's life. But when you pay someone to take care of your child, they need to be able to see the child.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

April 27th, 2012, 7:22 pm #3

I am getting worried about this now because he is too active and keeps ripping off the bandage. My 3yo is very much a baby---diapers and not too verbal.

DHs very good friend is a podiatrist. I am going to make him call him. It just isn't looking right.

ThankS! and more thanks for your opinion on the nanny. I was feeling badly about my attitude, but as my one friend said "your children are not there to be tests for others". I do want to see everyone have opportunities, but some things may cross the line. Plus, I think a severely visually disabled person (and she is) needs to practice the layout of a home, so I don't see how she can just come to my home and take over my kids...maybe older ones. aaht, who knows.

April 27th, 2012, 10:53 pm #4

I bought fisherman's sandals for ds that summer to protect his toes.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
Last edited by goldiescholar on April 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2012, 2:25 am #5

At prek pickup for my 5yo DS, my 3yo was hit by a huge fire door. He barely cried at first and I didn't notice at first that his toenail had been ripped to the point of hanging off. This is me y weak area. I can deal with blood, stichtes, shots, gi things, but not nails! I took him to the docs and there isn't much to do, but now it is getting sore and ugly. He slept with me for the first time since he was a baby last night because he ripped off the bandage in his sleep and kept hitting it. ouch! ouch! ouch! I can't even stand to write this without feeling the pain. Anyway, anyone had this experience? Any treatment advice?

Also, the person that did this is a nanny to one of the students. He was in front of the door that is usually isn't used, but since it is a brand new commercial door you can push it very hard and use it. DS was in front of this door as I was attempting to open the other half of the double door to get into the building. There is glass in the door and if you peek over the glass you can see little ones on the other side. However, this woman can't because she is almost completely blind. She has slight vision, but uses a walking stick and has very think glasses. I was asking about sitters one day at pickup and she handed me a card.

Before that I had thought she was a relative, but she isn't. So, my question is what is your opinion about hiring this sort of physical challenge for your sitter? I must say I was considering it, but felt very uneasy about it. Then, I felt guilty for thinking she can't be just as good of a caretaker than anyone else. After this door incident, I focused on her disability as a big part of the cause--- I absolutely think it played a role given the quick turn of events. She just didn't see us on the other side. However, my foggy brain could of caused the same outcome. I'm just very conflicted and was wondering what you smart ladies thought????

and I would totally understand if someone declined me as a nanny for that reason. Heck, there are some professions where you need to have 20/20 vision. My employer (a LARGE one) has jobs specifically for people with various disabilities, but one has to consider where the need for perfect or near perfect eyesight, flexibility, co-ordination, etc. is necessary, there can't be much if any room for error so I totally understand and agree that her impairment could have contributed to your ds's injury.

I'm so sorry that he's going through this. I've had my share of toenail injuries (being a runner) but nothing like what you described. I would expect that nail to fall off completely and there to be some vulnerability for a period of time till the new one grows back. That sucks. It takes so long to grow back.

Z.

April 28th, 2012, 5:21 am #6

My son dropped something on his toe a couple of years ago and ended up losing the whole nail. It didnt rip the nail off, it crushed it into pieces. I think it took a couple of months for the new nail to fully push the damaged nail off, and I just kept trimming the damaged nail back as it grew forward. The only thing that helped right after the injury was filling his little pool outside and adding ice cubes and he played in the ice water, not realizing he was soaking his toe in ice water! He would not allow me to put an ice pack on it!!

Are you sure theres no broken bone? I think Id want to know that too before just treating it at home.

As for the nanny with visual problems, thats a tough question. I have alot of empathy for those with vision issues, but I dont think I could feel confident with a sitter with vision problems with my two very, very busy boys!!

Hope his toe feels better soon!!

Pink

April 29th, 2012, 1:26 am #7

thing recently and she had the nail and her Dr. glued it back on - it protects the toe. I also know someone else and the same thing happened and she got a fake nail from the salon and had the Dr. glue that on it. She kept a thick bandage wrapped it with lots go gauze to cushion it and had to get a bigger sneaker/shoe or sandal to accommodate her huge toe.

I'm sure that it must hurt so sorry to hear this - hope he feels better!!

Also, agree with you about the nanny...

April 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm #8

to glue it back on with surgical glue. He is so sore. Luckily I have those Land's End sandals that are acting as a boot. I would really like to have it glued though!!! Thanks for the info.

April 30th, 2012, 1:06 pm #9

My son dropped something on his toe a couple of years ago and ended up losing the whole nail. It didnt rip the nail off, it crushed it into pieces. I think it took a couple of months for the new nail to fully push the damaged nail off, and I just kept trimming the damaged nail back as it grew forward. The only thing that helped right after the injury was filling his little pool outside and adding ice cubes and he played in the ice water, not realizing he was soaking his toe in ice water! He would not allow me to put an ice pack on it!!

Are you sure theres no broken bone? I think Id want to know that too before just treating it at home.

As for the nanny with visual problems, thats a tough question. I have alot of empathy for those with vision issues, but I dont think I could feel confident with a sitter with vision problems with my two very, very busy boys!!

Hope his toe feels better soon!!

Pink
I was wondering about it being broken, too. He is such a tough little guy and never complains much about being hurt... just don't touch his hair or tickle him. LOL. That will make him scream.

I rushed him to the ped right after it happened and she barely looked at it. I really want to take him to our close friend that is a podiatrist/surgeon, but my dh is hedging. We are starting to go to the beach soon and this will be a real problem. He loves the beach so much I want a better solution.

Thanks for your advice!!!

April 30th, 2012, 1:16 pm #10

and I would totally understand if someone declined me as a nanny for that reason. Heck, there are some professions where you need to have 20/20 vision. My employer (a LARGE one) has jobs specifically for people with various disabilities, but one has to consider where the need for perfect or near perfect eyesight, flexibility, co-ordination, etc. is necessary, there can't be much if any room for error so I totally understand and agree that her impairment could have contributed to your ds's injury.

I'm so sorry that he's going through this. I've had my share of toenail injuries (being a runner) but nothing like what you described. I would expect that nail to fall off completely and there to be some vulnerability for a period of time till the new one grows back. That sucks. It takes so long to grow back.

Z.
especially for the perspective from someone visually impaired. I sort of remember you writing about that before. She has a substantial issue... doesn't seem to be able to see me or identify her child at pickup. He has to go grab her hand. She uses a walking stick, too. When she handed me her card she directed it to the side and away from me so I didn't grab it and said something like --just take it I'm not perfect at putting things in an exact spot--- or something to that effect. I distinctly remember it being awkward and then I felt badly afterward---but I thought how the heck can she watch my crazy boys in my cluttered home???

Oh well, another interesting story, huh? Just wish my poor baby didn't have this ouchy toe, but these things happen. A little kid could have done the same thing to him, so I'm trying (more trying to get dh) to just accept that such is life.

Thanks for the advice Z, always appreciate your posts!