Taekwando for my "pushy" 5 y/o?

Taekwando for my "pushy" 5 y/o?

July 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm #1

I have read that Taekwando promotes self-esteem, self-confidence and listening skills for young children. My son could benefit from all of these. He also will have no PE at the Montessori kindergarten in the fall (other than the playground), so I want to enroll him in some sports activities to keep him active.

My question is, do you feel taekwando would lead to more bad behaviors such as punching and hitting?

Thanks!!

Pink

PS A very quiet week with him home with me. But again, there are no kids to push around since little bro' is at daycare!!

July 3rd, 2012, 6:59 pm #2

Pink,

I'm interested in TaeKwondo for my DS but haven't signed him up yet. We did look at a couple of places in the spring; basically, at least around us, even for little kids they demand a pretty high level of involvement to make the pricing reasonable -- it's about $120/month and then you get all the group lessons you can attend (which at some facilities could be as many as 6 per week; they're organized by age/level so you have to find the ones that you fit). I'm interested b/c my DS is, but funds are tight (and it's a year's commitment here or you pay a fee to get back out, so -- ugh). Anyway I will probably sign him up but not sure when ...

My general impression/sense is that martial arts in general is very serious about treating the skills it imparts (which, let's be honest, to a kid are going to be "hitting" and "kicking") as serious ones that must only be applied in particular contexts, so I would think it could actually help your DS find appropriate ways to direct his energies and not misuse them. But I am not speaking from any expertise (or experience), just my general sense. Of course assuming your DS likes it, you could also use participation as a reward and I would guess that the instructors would support you in doing this, i.e. that if he does hit inappropriately (outside of class) he has to sit out some number of lessons or whatever. But that could be a pricey lesson for the reasons noted above.

HTH.

Best wishes,
Alex

July 3rd, 2012, 9:43 pm #3

and with what a martial arts school owner recently told me.

I think it's a great idea if your ds enjoys it. GL!

BTW, my parents chose not to let me take martial arts for fear that I would use it inappropriately on my sisters, and let me tell you, I was still hard on them, and I did hit. So no lessons learned there.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

July 4th, 2012, 6:56 pm #4

Pink,

I'm interested in TaeKwondo for my DS but haven't signed him up yet. We did look at a couple of places in the spring; basically, at least around us, even for little kids they demand a pretty high level of involvement to make the pricing reasonable -- it's about $120/month and then you get all the group lessons you can attend (which at some facilities could be as many as 6 per week; they're organized by age/level so you have to find the ones that you fit). I'm interested b/c my DS is, but funds are tight (and it's a year's commitment here or you pay a fee to get back out, so -- ugh). Anyway I will probably sign him up but not sure when ...

My general impression/sense is that martial arts in general is very serious about treating the skills it imparts (which, let's be honest, to a kid are going to be "hitting" and "kicking") as serious ones that must only be applied in particular contexts, so I would think it could actually help your DS find appropriate ways to direct his energies and not misuse them. But I am not speaking from any expertise (or experience), just my general sense. Of course assuming your DS likes it, you could also use participation as a reward and I would guess that the instructors would support you in doing this, i.e. that if he does hit inappropriately (outside of class) he has to sit out some number of lessons or whatever. But that could be a pricey lesson for the reasons noted above.

HTH.

Best wishes,
Alex
The course Im looking at runs once a week, 40 minutes, for 12 weeks for $121. I did check into some studios, but they wanted the kids there 3 days a week (youve got to be kidding me was my response to myself!) and it was a monthly fee like you quoted, plus the uniform.

The instructor let us come in for a free class yesterday. My son wouldnt leave my side but was doing the moves in his chair. About 20 minutes in, he said repeatedly Im ready to go and then when we got out of the parking lot he wanted to go back. Now he says he wants to sign up, and then a minute later he doesnt want to. He has lost his self-confidence over the last few months, and now he is afraid to make a mistake. Im thinking Im going to just take him to the class and see how it goes.

The instructor did tell him that these moves were only for Taekwando and not ever to be used on other people.

Pink

July 4th, 2012, 7:05 pm #5

and with what a martial arts school owner recently told me.

I think it's a great idea if your ds enjoys it. GL!

BTW, my parents chose not to let me take martial arts for fear that I would use it inappropriately on my sisters, and let me tell you, I was still hard on them, and I did hit. So no lessons learned there.

ttc since 1998
We went to a free class yesterday, and DS wouldnt join in but was doing the moves in his chair. He was just too nervous (his words) to join the group. I feel like a cra%%y parent because he is suffering with his self-esteem from the daycare and camp experiences.

He repeatedly asked to leave about 20 min into the class, and when we drove off he started crying that he wanted to go back. i do not understand my sons emotions these days. Im trying to stay patient, but it is getting really difficult to figure out what he really wants. Im tempted to nudge him into the class, and hope that hell really take to it once hes over his initial fears. Judging by him doing the moves in his chair, I think if he developed some confidence he might enjoy it.

Pink

July 5th, 2012, 2:39 am #6

I have read that Taekwando promotes self-esteem, self-confidence and listening skills for young children. My son could benefit from all of these. He also will have no PE at the Montessori kindergarten in the fall (other than the playground), so I want to enroll him in some sports activities to keep him active.

My question is, do you feel taekwando would lead to more bad behaviors such as punching and hitting?

Thanks!!

Pink

PS A very quiet week with him home with me. But again, there are no kids to push around since little bro' is at daycare!!
If you can financially swing it and have the time to get him there, then go for it. It works wonders with self control and respect. In order for the kids to move up with the belts, they have to be respectful to their parents and adults. They are taught kicking and hitting for self defense but also taught how to control their bodies and if they do use it on their siblings at home, that may cost going up to the next belt. We did karate for a year and my youngest then 4 y/o did use it at home on others, it did affect his advancement there. I couldn't continue because of time challenges. I think it is a great idea for your DS. They usually meet with you first and you can tell them about any issues you have had with DS, they will keep it in mind and work on it with him.

July 5th, 2012, 4:24 am #7

Gail,

Do you know the difference? Im looking at park district courses, and they offer both. THe lady at the park district said the Taekwando program was great, she did not comment on Karate. Im sorry to hear that your son used it at home (my biggest fear, actually) This would be a once a week 40 minute course.

My son is mixed about taking it. I think maybe he fears triggering all the kicking and punching, Im not really sure what his hesitation is. All he says is that hell miss me if he takes the course (even though Id be right outside the door) He has been extra clingy lately, with all the troubles hes been having.

Pink

July 5th, 2012, 7:12 pm #8

We went to a free class yesterday, and DS wouldnt join in but was doing the moves in his chair. He was just too nervous (his words) to join the group. I feel like a cra%%y parent because he is suffering with his self-esteem from the daycare and camp experiences.

He repeatedly asked to leave about 20 min into the class, and when we drove off he started crying that he wanted to go back. i do not understand my sons emotions these days. Im trying to stay patient, but it is getting really difficult to figure out what he really wants. Im tempted to nudge him into the class, and hope that hell really take to it once hes over his initial fears. Judging by him doing the moves in his chair, I think if he developed some confidence he might enjoy it.

Pink
My ds has been like that since he was an infant. I really don't know how much is anxiety and how much might be contrariness. Have you had a private convo with the taekwondo school's owner? I wonder if some individual time would help ds transition?

ttc since 1998

July 5th, 2012, 7:41 pm #9

Thanks!!

Pink

He's becoming most aggressive towards his special needs older brother and infant brother. And, just becoming a real handful in general, not listening to us, always in timeouts, throwing fits, etc. I know from experience that it can suck being a middle child, but I turned everything inward. NOT him. I just want to get these behaviors under control now before they escalate. A friend of mine recommended karate to develop self confidence, respect for self/others so we're trying it.

First two sessions were with the Grand Master alone. NOT good. He didn't really cooperate at all. Fell to the floor, refused to do any moves. Sigh. I think DS just looks at it as yet another adult telling him what to do. Next week we join our first class so that will be the real test for us. I suspect he'll be very shy and not want to participate. I may keep bringing him, though, until he gets used to it. Hopefully, he will. I really want him to make friends, which I also think is part of the problem at home...no friends with mom working out of the house.

He did some of the moves at home when we practiced (although, he didn't really want to practice, either, sigh). A couple of times I caught him getting too close to his brothers while he was "hi-ya!"-ing. Hopefully, that doesn't continue. I suspect the more trained they get in the art, the more control they develop over using it inappropriately. I HOPE!

Let us know how it goes.

Meg

July 5th, 2012, 10:17 pm #10

Gail,

Do you know the difference? Im looking at park district courses, and they offer both. THe lady at the park district said the Taekwando program was great, she did not comment on Karate. Im sorry to hear that your son used it at home (my biggest fear, actually) This would be a once a week 40 minute course.

My son is mixed about taking it. I think maybe he fears triggering all the kicking and punching, Im not really sure what his hesitation is. All he says is that hell miss me if he takes the course (even though Id be right outside the door) He has been extra clingy lately, with all the troubles hes been having.

Pink
I am not positive but I think the difference is just what culture they represent, I do know the concepts are the same though.