suggestions for kids' music?

suggestions for kids' music?

May 15th, 2012, 9:21 am #1

I am especially interested in music that will appeal to 10yo, but feel free to post for younger kids and the ages it appeals to.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

May 15th, 2012, 12:03 pm #2

I think the music and animation are appealing to all ages, although when we went to a show last year, my then-going-on-nine year olds were the oldest ones in the audience.

http://www.gustaferyellowgold.com/

My kids (nine and seven-and-a-half) now listen to pretty much what I listen to, Americana, rock, "outlaw country," folky singer/songwriter stuff. Has DS seen the movie School of Rock? Although some of the themes are not exactly appropriate, (primarily being deceptive) the overall message is positive in the same way sports movies are, and my kids really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is kind of an introduction to some rock classics.

xoxoxo
MM

May 15th, 2012, 3:36 pm #3

I am especially interested in music that will appeal to 10yo, but feel free to post for younger kids and the ages it appeals to.

ttc since 1998
My kids are not at all into little kids music anymore and listen to what we will listen to. Latin music, they also like Schoolhouse Rock and DD in addition to the usual like JLo and Adele has recently taken a liking in classical music probably due to the ballet and skating. However, I know that the lyrics are not always appropriate and still lots of times they won't get them and if they do we talk about why they might not be appropriate. There is a kids friendly version of most of these popular songs by Kidz Bop and DD has these on her shuffle and loves them. Of course, not as good as the original version but safe. As of now the kids don't care, but I assume come a few years, they'll outgrow it too. Check them out.

May 15th, 2012, 7:36 pm #4

ttc since 1998
by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman. We love that one and I buy it as a gift a lot for new babies and big kids. The website Pandora is good too. They have pre-set kids stations like toddler rock, kids rock, kids folk Etc.. but you can also customize stations for yourself and for DS. The more you tell it what you like and don't like the more it customizes your stations for you. You can't give preferences on the pre-set stations but they are pretty good anyway. DS loves the Beatles too, the cd "1" is all number one hits and it's lots of fun.

May 15th, 2012, 8:21 pm #5

ttc since 1998
Their kids album, NO! has some amazing songs that include robots, Thomas Alva Edison. We love it.

looked it up on Amazon & the first review is from an 11 year old - he loved it!

We also listen to a local band The Alphabeticians -- and some of their tunes are pretty awesome (I am a big fan of Binary on their album Rock). They actually sing pi in binary code "it goes on like that for really long, we'll have to tell you more about it in another song...."

And Barenaked Ladies did a kids album a number of years ago that we often play.

May 16th, 2012, 1:53 am #6

ttc since 1998
Not only their kid's songs, which are great, but also some of their "adult" songs too, like Istanbul (not Constantinople), which is a personal favorite of DS's, and Triangle Man.

Also agree with the Beatles being a good band for kids (and adults!). Some Michael Jackson is probably appealing to 10 year olds (Thriller).

If you don't have XM radio, maybe look on their website for XM Kids and find the playlists. DS loves all the goofy songs they play (like the one about Buffalo Bob only eats baked beans).

My 4 year old still loves Dan Zanes, Pete Seeger, Trout Fishing in America, the songs on the Smithsonian Folkways songs for kids, etc. He likes song-songs, with lyrics you can understand and melodies that are hummable.

Older DS hasn't yet discovered the world of pop, probably b/c he doesn't have a radio of his own, and b/c we listen to such diverse music but not a lot of top 10 stuff.

May 16th, 2012, 3:06 am #7

ttc since 1998
I am the official DJ for the hockey team - DS has these tunes cycling on his playlist for his sports hype mix:

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Stomp You, Bicycle, Under Pressure

Smashmouth: All Star

Flo Rida: Good Feelings (this one is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!)

Kevin Rudolf: Let It Rock

U2: Vertigo, Even Better than the Real Thing, I Will Follow, Desire, The Fly, Zoo Station

INXS: New Sensation

Peter Gabriel: Big Time

Tears for Fears: Everybody Wants to Rule the World

BoomShackalak - sorry it was on the Threesome Movie Soundtrack - don't know who does it....

Survivor: Eye of the Tiger (when DS first heard this he said it was the best new song ever written - he didn't realize it was thirty years old...LMAO!)

may as well add Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme Song)

Blur: Song 2 - the WhooooHOOO Song

James Brown: I Feel Good

EMF: Unbelievable

Duran Duran: The Reflex - so funny to see them sing this....

MC Hammer: U Can't Touch This

Blondie: One Way or Another

Huey Lewis and The News: It's Alright

Marky Mark: Good Vibrations

Proclaimers: King of the Road, I Would Walk 500 Miles

TV Theme Song for MIGHTY MOUSE

Black Eyed Peas: Let's Get It Started, Boom Boom Pow, I Gotta Feeling

Bobby McFerrin: Don't Worry Be Happy

Brian Adams: We're Gonna Win

Raghav: Fire (really super good!)

Journey: Don't Stop Believing

Baha Men: Move It Like This

Prince: Let's Go Crazy

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.

May 16th, 2012, 3:14 am #8

While I dont know all of these, I know most, and this would make a great playlist for my treadmill time!!

Pink

May 16th, 2012, 3:16 am #9

ttc since 1998
The Fresh Beat Band. I love it too! I heard one of their songs on nIckleodeon or something, and bought the entire digital version of the album from Amazon. I think it could appeal to alot of ages, but you could do like I did and listen to the free previews on amazon before purchasing!!

This is a great thread. Im taking notes on all this great music for kids! Thanks!!

Pink

May 16th, 2012, 12:58 pm #10

I am the official DJ for the hockey team - DS has these tunes cycling on his playlist for his sports hype mix:

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We Will Stomp You, Bicycle, Under Pressure

Smashmouth: All Star

Flo Rida: Good Feelings (this one is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!)

Kevin Rudolf: Let It Rock

U2: Vertigo, Even Better than the Real Thing, I Will Follow, Desire, The Fly, Zoo Station

INXS: New Sensation

Peter Gabriel: Big Time

Tears for Fears: Everybody Wants to Rule the World

BoomShackalak - sorry it was on the Threesome Movie Soundtrack - don't know who does it....

Survivor: Eye of the Tiger (when DS first heard this he said it was the best new song ever written - he didn't realize it was thirty years old...LMAO!)

may as well add Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme Song)

Blur: Song 2 - the WhooooHOOO Song

James Brown: I Feel Good

EMF: Unbelievable

Duran Duran: The Reflex - so funny to see them sing this....

MC Hammer: U Can't Touch This

Blondie: One Way or Another

Huey Lewis and The News: It's Alright

Marky Mark: Good Vibrations

Proclaimers: King of the Road, I Would Walk 500 Miles

TV Theme Song for MIGHTY MOUSE

Black Eyed Peas: Let's Get It Started, Boom Boom Pow, I Gotta Feeling

Bobby McFerrin: Don't Worry Be Happy

Brian Adams: We're Gonna Win

Raghav: Fire (really super good!)

Journey: Don't Stop Believing

Baha Men: Move It Like This