Sorry this is so trivial, but I would appreciate opinions on bug spray

Sorry this is so trivial, but I would appreciate opinions on bug spray

June 4th, 2012, 12:27 am #1

I hate to post this with all of the sad, serious topics weve had here lately, but wanted to get your input on bug spray.

My son is starting all outdoor day camp in a buggy, wooded area tomorrow. Do you think California Baby natural repellent will be enough, or should I go out and get the classic Cutters? Im not crazy about the idea of DEET, but I guess it never did me any harm when I was a child. He will have to layer this with sunscreen since it is outdoor camp.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!!

Pink

June 4th, 2012, 3:18 am #2

We go camping a lot and I refuse to put DEET on my child. We have a Lemon Euclytus based spray, which the FDA says works as well as DEET. I also saw today that OFF! makes a OFF Naturals version this year. Haven't tried it yet.

June 4th, 2012, 4:10 am #3

I have seen the OFF naturals too, but went with the California Baby brand since I like their other products. Ill have to see if it has lemon eucalyptus in it.

Thanks

Pink

June 4th, 2012, 1:56 pm #4

I hate to post this with all of the sad, serious topics weve had here lately, but wanted to get your input on bug spray.

My son is starting all outdoor day camp in a buggy, wooded area tomorrow. Do you think California Baby natural repellent will be enough, or should I go out and get the classic Cutters? Im not crazy about the idea of DEET, but I guess it never did me any harm when I was a child. He will have to layer this with sunscreen since it is outdoor camp.

Thanks!!

Pink
We use Bull Frog - deet free for kids that also has an SPF of 30. I never use deet and have tried many deet free lemon based oils/sprays and have yet to find a different one that works efficiently. It also often stings my son's skin, he has quite sensitive skin. The Bull Frog works well for us ....
V

Here is a link

http://www.drugstore.com/bull-frog-mosq ... /qxp150770

June 4th, 2012, 3:02 pm #5

Thanks!!

Pink
I use the california baby constantly. In fact, I have put it into little bottles to carry in my purse, ds's sport's bags, etc. I like their sunscreen stick as well. DS can carry it and put it on his nose and ears himself if he has to!

When we are on the patio, I burn citronella oil and candles.

But when it is really, really buggy, I do use the heavier duty stuff. I figure that if we limit the use, it is OK.

I am interested to see if anyone else has some good ideas!!

wcl

June 4th, 2012, 7:05 pm #6

I have seen the OFF naturals too, but went with the California Baby brand since I like their other products. Ill have to see if it has lemon eucalyptus in it.

Thanks

Pink
This is a lemon/eucalyptus concoction that we use on ourselves. You can get it online. It got very good reviews from people who would know--like biologists often working in woodsy environments. That's what sold me on it.

wcl

June 5th, 2012, 3:27 am #7

Its great to know that it works so well. Were not into big bug season yet, but its coming soon!!

Pink

June 5th, 2012, 3:28 am #8

We use Bull Frog - deet free for kids that also has an SPF of 30. I never use deet and have tried many deet free lemon based oils/sprays and have yet to find a different one that works efficiently. It also often stings my son's skin, he has quite sensitive skin. The Bull Frog works well for us ....
V

Here is a link

http://www.drugstore.com/bull-frog-mosq ... /qxp150770
HOw nice to only have one product for the camp counselors to have to apply!! I wonder if it has the lemon eucalyptus in it?

Pink

June 5th, 2012, 3:30 am #9

I use the california baby constantly. In fact, I have put it into little bottles to carry in my purse, ds's sport's bags, etc. I like their sunscreen stick as well. DS can carry it and put it on his nose and ears himself if he has to!

When we are on the patio, I burn citronella oil and candles.

But when it is really, really buggy, I do use the heavier duty stuff. I figure that if we limit the use, it is OK.

I am interested to see if anyone else has some good ideas!!
I havent spent a great deal of time outside using California Baby, so its good to know that it is effective. My son is out in the woods part of the day, so I do wonder about the presence of ticks, etc. I did check him over for ticks when I picked him up today.

Thanks!!

Pink

June 5th, 2012, 4:01 am #10

Thanks!!

Pink
AVON makes great sunblock/bugspray combo or just the bug spray if you want it separate. You can go online and find out more. I am at camp now and so far not one bite and I bought some for DD who will be here on Sunday. It's great!