Saw developmental pedi today

Saw developmental pedi today

July 25th, 2012, 9:45 pm #1

and it was like taking a breath of fresh air, finally someone who understands and agrees that E's behaviors are quite concerning. But I am completely overwhelmed about navigating resources. She recommended that he be seen by a child psychiatrist. E has been diagnosed with ADHD which may be a root for all his issues. it is agreed he could benefit from medication, but with his other issues, she thinks someone well versed in the meds would be better to prescribe. I called my oldest DS's psychiatrist and he isn't taking new patients, they are going to ask him if he will take on E since he sees his brother. I did call the emergency psychiatric unit again for resources, someone is coming out friday to reopen his file. What really worries me is that this is an area I know nothing about and fear there are programs or resources that would benefit him and I just don't know it. But I guess starting with a psychiatrist and getting a diagnosis is step one. Not really looking for any input here, just babbling. Overall I was pleased with the developmental pedi and hope she comes through with getting E what he needs.

July 26th, 2012, 12:26 am #2

I wonder if the various doctors you are seeing would be able, at some point, to put you in touch with another parent who has navigated some of this terrain before? Most people are glad to lend their expertise to others when they can, don't you think?

Anyway, good for you for keeping on with all your hard work! You are a great mom!

xoxoxo
MM

July 26th, 2012, 1:38 am #3

and it was like taking a breath of fresh air, finally someone who understands and agrees that E's behaviors are quite concerning. But I am completely overwhelmed about navigating resources. She recommended that he be seen by a child psychiatrist. E has been diagnosed with ADHD which may be a root for all his issues. it is agreed he could benefit from medication, but with his other issues, she thinks someone well versed in the meds would be better to prescribe. I called my oldest DS's psychiatrist and he isn't taking new patients, they are going to ask him if he will take on E since he sees his brother. I did call the emergency psychiatric unit again for resources, someone is coming out friday to reopen his file. What really worries me is that this is an area I know nothing about and fear there are programs or resources that would benefit him and I just don't know it. But I guess starting with a psychiatrist and getting a diagnosis is step one. Not really looking for any input here, just babbling. Overall I was pleased with the developmental pedi and hope she comes through with getting E what he needs.
As for unknown resources, yes, I would think there could be some. See if there is some group called Family Connection or something similar, which provides information and support for families of children with special needs. Talking to btdt families is very important, too.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

July 26th, 2012, 4:22 am #4

nice when a professional sees what you see. I always marvel at how quickly a mother's instinct is discounted. As if we are all just nervous wrecks or something.

good on you for persevering and hope you find the resources and perhaps a parent support group that can make things happen with a minimum of stress.

I'd be very surprised if that Psych-Dr doesn't take your son on. I'd think having both as patients would offer valuable insight.

keep us posted and keep babbling. I like it
jm

August 2nd, 2012, 3:47 am #5

I know how hard you have been trying to find the answers for your sons. You are doing a great job, Gail.

Pink