rolling out survey project

rolling out survey project

March 15th, 2012, 4:40 pm #1

Hi, ladies,

Several weeks ago a number of you helped me pilot test a research project I am working on that uses an online survey to gather information about how people get information and support and how they make decisions as they consider and (maybe) pursue infertility treatment and/or adoption.

The colleague I'm working with and I have now finalized the questionnaire and are rolling it out. The invitation we're using appears below. If those of you connected with others who are negotiating infertility -- still seeking to build their families -- would be willing to pass this invitation along, I'd be (we'd be) very grateful. We'd also of course welcome your replies if any of you want to fill the questionnaire out (and it is entirely possible to respond anonymously), but I realize not everyone here is in a "place" (still adding to your families) to do so and you may not want to. But any help you can provide in spreading the word, much appreciated.

Invitation
-----
Research Project: Drs. Kathryn Flynn and Alexandra Cooper, both at Duke University, are conducting a survey of individuals and couples who are currently dealing with challenges in growing their families. The survey typically takes about 30 minutes to complete and collects information about how people get advice and support and how they make decisions as they consider and pursue infertility treatment and/or adoption. Responses can be anonymous and all responses will be kept confidential in transcripts and research publications. If you are interested in participating, please visit http://www.tinyurl.com/growing-your-family to access the questionnaire directly, or e-mail Alexandra Cooper at cooper@duke.edu.
-----

Best wishes,
Alex

cy2

March 15th, 2012, 7:36 pm #2

The second RE we worked with is a wonderful person. I sort of introduced him to low stims for high FSH thanks to the High FSH board.

If you want, I'd be happy to share your invitation with him. I wonder if that would skew your responses? I'm sure they'd all rave about their RE and have an overall better response regarding his standard of care and feeling supported by him.

Is there any way to target RE practices? Posting in their waiting rooms, email to an RE list, ad in RE pubication?

Good luck with it! I would have participated when I was ttc.

cy

March 15th, 2012, 7:55 pm #3

Cy,

Sure, that would be lovely. Actually I've worked some with my own RE on this project conceptually though am not in touch with him on this part of it ... when he's not REing he does medical work in Haiti so is very hard to catch up with and I always worry about not respecting his time (though it has been great to have his input and I probably should contact him ... will mull that over). So, sure, if you'd be willing to that would be great -- thanks!

And yes, I have thought about the possibility of posting this in REs clinics though I don't currently have plans to do so. In all honesty I want to start by seeing what kind of response I can generate this way and go from there ... obviously neither strategy is perfect in terms of generating a broadly inclusive sample but my hope is that we will be able to use the data we are collecting here to build a bigger and better project, as well as of course to report these results in their own right!

Best wishes,
Alex