Potty Seats - Need recommendations (My kid is a big kid....)

Potty Seats - Need recommendations (My kid is a big kid....)

July 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm #1

DD will be 3 in a few weeks. She wears size 6-7 clothes.

When she sits on the little potty, urine leaks onto the floor - depending on how she's sitting. (And there's nothing wrong with the way she's sitting...)

Our toilet (big people) is awfully high for her. (We got the tall toilet because DH is over 6 feet tall.) We've put a step stool with a kiddy toilet seat and it still seems to be too high for her. Even worse, DD is so afraid of heights.

Are there any recommendations for "big kid" potty seats?

Thanks so much!

July 17th, 2012, 6:01 pm #2

Baby Bijorn makes a large size potty. It is very easy to clean. My DS is pretty big too. He only used the potty for a short time and then he went to the regular toilet with a step stool. He seemed to feel unstable with the seat that you put on the regular seat so he just sits right on the toilet seat. Amazon has the large size baby bijorn - not too pricey.

July 17th, 2012, 7:18 pm #3

When she sits on the little potty, urine leaks onto the floor - depending on how she's sitting. (And there's nothing wrong with the way she's sitting...)

Our toilet (big people) is awfully high for her. (We got the tall toilet because DH is over 6 feet tall.) We've put a step stool with a kiddy toilet seat and it still seems to be too high for her. Even worse, DD is so afraid of heights.

Thanks so much!

DS (2.5) is also a big kid. Plus our bathroom is small and I didn't want another thing on the floor to trip over. So Bemis makes a toilet seat that has a fold-down potty seat from the lid right onto the big seat. It's much more stable than the cheap ones that slide around, DS can get on and off himself with a stool since he can put weight on the seat and it won't slide around. We bought our right from the home depot. It was more costly than a training seat for sure, but I'd say it's with it to not have pee spilling onto the floor.

July 17th, 2012, 7:58 pm #4

Thanks so much!

I invented the travel potty 24 years ago - but someone stole it from me and spread it in the US.
I planned to live on the disposable liners that go with it, but was naive to go to the wrong patent office.
the thieves called it Potette:
http://bababooty.com/2010/06/potty-trai ... ssentials/

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
Adee

July 17th, 2012, 11:02 pm #5

DS (2.5) is also a big kid. Plus our bathroom is small and I didn't want another thing on the floor to trip over. So Bemis makes a toilet seat that has a fold-down potty seat from the lid right onto the big seat. It's much more stable than the cheap ones that slide around, DS can get on and off himself with a stool since he can put weight on the seat and it won't slide around. We bought our right from the home depot. It was more costly than a training seat for sure, but I'd say it's with it to not have pee spilling onto the floor.
DD is AFRAID of heights. It's so weird coming from her, really - with her spunk!

When we practice with the training seat - you can see her anxiousness with the step stool. Our training seat doesn't slide around so I'm pretty sure that is not the issue.

I am debating on getting the "Little Looster" which is a step stool made specifically for toilets. It goes around the toilet.

Maybe I need to get both??

July 17th, 2012, 11:03 pm #6

Baby Bijorn makes a large size potty. It is very easy to clean. My DS is pretty big too. He only used the potty for a short time and then he went to the regular toilet with a step stool. He seemed to feel unstable with the seat that you put on the regular seat so he just sits right on the toilet seat. Amazon has the large size baby bijorn - not too pricey.
I'll have to find a local retailer...looks like it'd be worth it!

Thank you!

July 17th, 2012, 11:04 pm #7

I invented the travel potty 24 years ago - but someone stole it from me and spread it in the US.
I planned to live on the disposable liners that go with it, but was naive to go to the wrong patent office.
the thieves called it Potette:
http://bababooty.com/2010/06/potty-trai ... ssentials/

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
That is a really neat idea!!

Bleep those thieves for stealing your idea!

July 17th, 2012, 11:42 pm #8

Thanks so much!

They trained late and are tall, so I know what you mean about the urine leaking out. It doesnt happen in this seat, and its incredibly inexpensive, and my kids LOVE it!! I bought about 3 different seats/chairs before they fell in love with this one. Its easy to clean too.

I bought mine at Babies R Us, but theyre available at Amazon and all the other big boxes, I believe.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19582522?adid ... la&veh=sem

Good luck! I have found that my kids only trained when they were ready. So I let them tell me when they were ready, and Ive never had a struggle with it. At times, when they dont feel like stopping to go before we leave the house, I offer a reward like organic fruit snacks (I call them fruit candies!!)

We also have a toilet seat that has both the big and small seat, and DS likes that. THe small seat makes him feel secure. He still wont go #2 in a public toilet because theyre too large and they frighten him.

Heres the toilet seat. You can get it in oval or round.

http://www.amazon.com/Xpress-Trainer-On ... +seat+oval

Pink

July 18th, 2012, 1:28 am #9

I live out in the country. I really like that I can get this at Walmart! A lot easier to return if it doesn't work out.

As for potty training... gee... we are pushing it a bit, I think, but we feel like we have no choice. Our day care provider of almost three years quit. When she announced it to us, we decided to enroll her in preschool. The condition was that she'd be aged 3 and potty trained. Six months ago, we thought this was realistic as DD was showing many signs that she was about ready. For some reason or another - she never seemed to quite get there.

Summer rolls around and things are still the same so we start to look for another day care provider as a back up plan - and wouldn't you know it - EVERYBODY IS BOOKED!!!! We can find preschool, but not day care.... unless we go out of town and/or spend exorbitant amounts of money. Ugh! So... I have been spending the last two weeks potty training part-time after work. This week - full-time since I'm off work. Some days it feels like we're making progress and others - not. Today, though, she told us four times that she had to go and went each time. I'm praying that she'll be fully potty trained by the end of August - even if it kills me...

Thanks for the recommendations!

July 18th, 2012, 2:50 am #10

DD is AFRAID of heights. It's so weird coming from her, really - with her spunk!

When we practice with the training seat - you can see her anxiousness with the step stool. Our training seat doesn't slide around so I'm pretty sure that is not the issue.

I am debating on getting the "Little Looster" which is a step stool made specifically for toilets. It goes around the toilet.

Maybe I need to get both??
This folding step stool works great. It is perfect in our small bathroom and my little guy isnt nervous stepping on it. I got it at TJ Maxx. You can order online very easily if you dont have TJ Maxx. ANd they hold up to 300 lbs so even adults can use it!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... KgodKhMnFg
Last edited by Pinkdandelion on July 18th, 2012, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.