Pink, how is DS doing?

Pink, how is DS doing?

June 24th, 2012, 8:34 pm #1

How is camp going? Any better?

June 24th, 2012, 9:58 pm #2

How thoughtful of you to think of me. I have been wondering how you are doing with your sons, now that school is out for the summer?

Surprisingly, my son has been doing extremely well at camp and at home. The day I took him home from camp, with him kicking the back of the drivers seat in the car, mustve really made an impression. Every day since then he has gotten glowing reports from the counselors and camp director. I hope it will continue (knock wood as I say this) He has been better at home too. I cant explain what has made him better at home, but lets just say that I turned into a pretty stern mama cub the day I had to bring him home from camp, and I have continued to offer warnings but definite consequences for undesired behavior. He is no longer picking on his little brother which is delightful. Sadly, now his little brother has stepped up to the plate for being challenging!! I guess if its not one thing, its another!!

I still dont know what kindergarten holds. We are still deliberating private vs. public school.

I hope things are better at your house. This parenting stuff is SOOOO difficult!!

Pink

June 25th, 2012, 12:27 am #3

except how your younger tyke is giving you a wee bit of trouble.

kids.

ugh.

lol

I found that my kids argue less and get along with me better after I blow up. I hate that but it's somehow like they say, oh, THAT is how far I can push you, better step back.
(ping! another grey hair)

btw I don't think it's peri/menopause that drive women nuts. just saying.

julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 25th, 2012, 10:32 pm #4

How thoughtful of you to think of me. I have been wondering how you are doing with your sons, now that school is out for the summer?

Surprisingly, my son has been doing extremely well at camp and at home. The day I took him home from camp, with him kicking the back of the drivers seat in the car, mustve really made an impression. Every day since then he has gotten glowing reports from the counselors and camp director. I hope it will continue (knock wood as I say this) He has been better at home too. I cant explain what has made him better at home, but lets just say that I turned into a pretty stern mama cub the day I had to bring him home from camp, and I have continued to offer warnings but definite consequences for undesired behavior. He is no longer picking on his little brother which is delightful. Sadly, now his little brother has stepped up to the plate for being challenging!! I guess if its not one thing, its another!!

I still dont know what kindergarten holds. We are still deliberating private vs. public school.

I hope things are better at your house. This parenting stuff is SOOOO difficult!!

Pink
Pink, so happy for you!!! You were so worried, so relieved things are better. I swear that is always the case, one starts to behave better and then the other decides to step in to drive you crazy. We are going to weekly therapy, don't see any improvement really yet though. The boys are driving me absolutely crazy. I just send them to their rooms whenever they hit or fight with anyone, I have had to let a lot go too because I just don't have control. If I address everything I would be talking nonstop, never thought parenting would be this hard.

June 26th, 2012, 3:43 am #5

except how your younger tyke is giving you a wee bit of trouble.

kids.

ugh.

lol

I found that my kids argue less and get along with me better after I blow up. I hate that but it's somehow like they say, oh, THAT is how far I can push you, better step back.
(ping! another grey hair)

btw I don't think it's peri/menopause that drive women nuts. just saying.

julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday, during dinner, the boys decided to really act up. Out of their chairs, running after each other, not listening one bit as I called them back multiple times. I knew they needed to eat and they were also tired, but I was at wits end to get them back to the table.

So, in my exasperation, I announced that I was putting myself in a timeout and proceeded to walk to the nearest bathroom (10 feet away from the kitchen). They started crying and repeatedly telling me Dont put yourself in a time out . I quietly shut the bathroom door, stayed for 30 seconds (as they are crying hysterically outside the bathroom door, like I had left them home alone or something) and emerged to find two sweet, apologetic boys who then sat down and ate their dinner.

Guess I need to put myself in time out more often. And I didnt have to yell at them to be effective, that was the best part of all:) I too have noticed that they typically wait until my patience has run out to listen.

Kids!!!

I dont think its peri or meno either. Its just having small children. Ive seen the young moms just as exasperated as I.

Pink

June 26th, 2012, 3:47 am #6

Pink, so happy for you!!! You were so worried, so relieved things are better. I swear that is always the case, one starts to behave better and then the other decides to step in to drive you crazy. We are going to weekly therapy, don't see any improvement really yet though. The boys are driving me absolutely crazy. I just send them to their rooms whenever they hit or fight with anyone, I have had to let a lot go too because I just don't have control. If I address everything I would be talking nonstop, never thought parenting would be this hard.
How are you sleeping? I find that when Im tired, I have even less tolerance for my boys shenanigans.

Im sorry the therapy isnt helping yet, but I hope that it will down the road. In the meantime, I hope you are finding at least a few minutes to tend to you which is so important in all of our lives as moms.

My mom always tells me about how she would go into her screaming closet when we kids got to be too much. She says she would announce it and then go. I dont remember her doing this, but she says it was quite effective.

Check out my post to Juliemam if you want to hear my personal timeout story from yesterday. A friend was telling me that when she is at her wits end, she puts herself in timeout. I enjoyed my time in timeout:)

Pink.