Organic or Non-Antibiotic Meats - where to find at a reasonable cost

Organic or Non-Antibiotic Meats - where to find at a reasonable cost

August 17th, 2012, 8:57 pm #1

Whole Foods, outside of a sale, is just too expensive for us.

Where do you suggest finding lower-priced meats that are non-antibiotic treated. We are in the northeast - outside of Boston.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you, all!

August 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm #2

I shop at Publix, and they have something called "Greenwise." I think it says no abx. Check around with your stores, too. And I guess you could look into getting a large freezer and finding an organic rancher who sells to individuals and see if you and some friends could buy a large amount to share. I think Juliemom has done this before.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

August 18th, 2012, 2:20 am #3

Where do you suggest finding lower-priced meats that are non-antibiotic treated. We are in the northeast - outside of Boston.

Thank you, all!
Their prices are very reasonable, BUT their meat goes bad FAST. So put it in the freezer even if you plan to serve it within a couple days. They have great selection of both organic and non-hormone. In many states, hormones are banned in poultry and pork products, so the place to spend your money is on the cow products. Check your state with a quick google search.

Good luck - it's a juggle, I know, financially.

cy2

August 20th, 2012, 8:54 am #4

Thank you, all!
Still pricey compared to regular meats there, but way less than Whole Foods, Safeway and other regular grocery stores, or other specialty shops.

We buy 3 half gallon cartons of organic 1% milk there for about $10. That's compared to $5 per half gallon at Safeway. Regular milk at Safeway here is $5 and that's on sale.

August 21st, 2012, 3:12 am #5

I'll look at Costco. We live near one. Thank you for taking the time to respond. If I find any other places, I'll definitely post. Doing what I can to keep her food as healthy as possible - now....if "I" could cut out all the sugar and junk food once DD is in bed!