o.t. can any employer possibly be worse than mine?

o.t. can any employer possibly be worse than mine?

December 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm #1

An email went out 4 weeks ago stating that both classified and unclassified employees making under $30k would get a $700 bonus for Christmas, and it would be in the bank on Nov. 21. This email went out to all employees, every single one.

I found out today that my account was credited $50 on Nov. 21.

Apparently I am neither classified nor unclassified. I don't know wth I am. But I'm not in the group getting the bonus $700 bonus. I got $50. Quite a lot of us make under $20k/year. I'd venture to say that most of us actually make $10k/year or less.

I was just talking to the head of H.R., who sent that email. I tried to impress on her the terrible disappointment that I feel, that no doubt 90% of my colleagues feel. How cruel to include us! 70% of the faculty are adjuncts. We make under $30k, but we don't fall into the bonus group.

Well, and after today, I wouldn't be surprised if I get no more teaching offers from this place, either. I wasn't rude, but I was very candid about how deeply, desperately disappointing this is.

And poor HR director, she said she hasn't been here a year, so she doesn't get a bonus either. Well, guess what. She probably earns $90k. I know for a fact that she's getting more than $70k b/c her salary at her previous agency is public information. So did she really think I would feel sorry for her, making that much and not getting a bonus, when so many of us are under $20k or even under $10k and getting no bonus? Some of us teaching there for 10 to 20 years? Really?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

cy2

December 5th, 2011, 9:04 pm #2

that you are stuck with such a poor organization. I know that things are hard economically, but you'd think that they'd be better at communicating. There is such a huge difference between $700 and $50. I'd hate to be the HR person who handles the complaints/inquiries.

You have much to offer. Hopefully this will be the catalyst to start you looking for a better place to work.

Hang in there!

cy

December 5th, 2011, 9:29 pm #3

An email went out 4 weeks ago stating that both classified and unclassified employees making under $30k would get a $700 bonus for Christmas, and it would be in the bank on Nov. 21. This email went out to all employees, every single one.

Apparently I am neither classified nor unclassified. I don't know wth I am. But I'm not in the group getting the bonus $700 bonus. I got $50. Quite a lot of us make under $20k/year. I'd venture to say that most of us actually make $10k/year or less.

I was just talking to the head of H.R., who sent that email. I tried to impress on her the terrible disappointment that I feel, that no doubt 90% of my colleagues feel. How cruel to include us! 70% of the faculty are adjuncts. We make under $30k, but we don't fall into the bonus group.

Well, and after today, I wouldn't be surprised if I get no more teaching offers from this place, either. I wasn't rude, but I was very candid about how deeply, desperately disappointing this is.

And poor HR director, she said she hasn't been here a year, so she doesn't get a bonus either. Well, guess what. She probably earns $90k. I know for a fact that she's getting more than $70k b/c her salary at her previous agency is public information. So did she really think I would feel sorry for her, making that much and not getting a bonus, when so many of us are under $20k or even under $10k and getting no bonus? Some of us teaching there for 10 to 20 years? Really?

ttc since 1998
I don't understand why that would be okay to send to the entire staff if not everyone was going to get the bonus. That is like rubbing your nose it it! So sorry you had to deal with this. I am glad you let them know how you were feeling though!

December 5th, 2011, 10:00 pm #4

that you are stuck with such a poor organization. I know that things are hard economically, but you'd think that they'd be better at communicating. There is such a huge difference between $700 and $50. I'd hate to be the HR person who handles the complaints/inquiries.

You have much to offer. Hopefully this will be the catalyst to start you looking for a better place to work.

Hang in there!

cy
I wish that the matter was as simple as looking. I have an M.A. in a field where security and advancement require a Ph.D. But a Ph.D. is now too expensive, and there are too many qualified ppl for the number of openings. (And then there is a 7-year process to get tenure.) And honestly, a lot of academics have to live/work several hours away from their spouses, even when they do have Ph.D's. So it's not just looking for a new job -- it's also looking for a new city (and we're almost underwater now with our home), as well as a new job for dh. That's how they get away with this crap -- that, plus I live in a non-union state. I know not everyone here will agree about unions, but frankly, ppl in my field get health benefits in union states, and they don't get them in non-union states. So to me, it's pretty obvious who's looking out for ppl in my field.

ttc since 1998

December 5th, 2011, 10:04 pm #5

I don't understand why that would be okay to send to the entire staff if not everyone was going to get the bonus. That is like rubbing your nose it it! So sorry you had to deal with this. I am glad you let them know how you were feeling though!
I asked about that. They said it was not possible to send a mass email to just the employees concerned. I pointed out that their email did not include information about the rest of us.

Group A is getting $700.
Group B is getting $700.
Group C is getting $700.
Group D is getting $50.

That's what the email needed to say.

ttc since 1998

December 5th, 2011, 10:59 pm #6

ttc since 1998
I mean really. I'd be furious too. That is just really poor judgment of the HR director to send out that e-mail.

Also $50 is almost a slap in the face -- esp. for someone who's been there for so long.

Don't get me started on the poor treatment of adjunct professors and teachers. They are taken advantage of to a disgusting degree, doing all the hard work of teaching -- the very mission of institutions of higher learning --and not getting paid diddly squat.

I'm so sorry KM. I know how hard the teaching market is, and it's just not getting any better. I hope some other opportunities start to open up for you.

xoxoxo
Lillian

December 5th, 2011, 11:48 pm #7

ttc since 1998
so sorry and how crass of them to include everybody in that email. Of course you'd feel disappointed and insulted too (I'd be insulted)

they suck. I am glad you said something, maybe the poor sap who sent the email was clueless.

hugs
julie

December 6th, 2011, 2:28 am #8

ttc since 1998
and how dare the HR director try to get your sympathy like that. boo freaking hoo to her.

xoxoxo
MM

December 6th, 2011, 2:56 am #9

ttc since 1998
KM,

Yikes, that stinks! I am so sorry. For 2 years running my employer gave some employees a $1K bonus and others not, but (a) it was (IMO) approximately appropriately targeted, i.e. went to lower-earning employees (though I'm not sure, honestly, about adjuncts), and (b) there were lengthy explanations of who would and who wouldn't get it posted on webpages and such. And of course it stinks (whatever the reason) to think one is getting a "windfall," even a modest one (not like you were going to retire on $700, after all), and then ... not. I'm sorry!

Best wishes,
Alex

December 6th, 2011, 3:21 am #10

ttc since 1998
gosh I would be sooo disappointed, big difference in those numbers. Shame on them for sending out that email and doing that, no class at all.