Need some advice....bed rest and a 4 year old...

Need some advice....bed rest and a 4 year old...

April 21st, 2012, 5:16 am #1

Hi Ladies,
I am hoping that some of you here will have some advice on handling my current situation. I have a 4 year old and without boring you with too many details, I fell earlier this week, broke my ankle and ended up having to have 6 pins, 2 screws, and a plate put into my ankle yesterday. My 4 year old is VERY active as I am sure all 4 year olds are. My husband has been very helpful the past few days but I notice him losing his patience a bit more having all the responsibilities fall on his shoulders. I am feeling guilty relying on him for everything and not being able to give dd as much attention.
Any suggestions on how to make it through the next few weeks of bed rest without all of us losing our minds? DD has been bringing books into me to read to her and we have been playing card games in my bed but I still feel guilty when my meds kick in and I have to sleep (meds seem to make me a bit nauseous and sleepy). Thanks in advance for anything you can offer! Stephanie

April 21st, 2012, 6:57 am #2

family, friends for help - I know that when I have been ill (for 24 hour sickness bugs etc and bad backs) when I could do nothing - I have had to use friends and family and what you can do without that, I really don't know.

And although I really limit tv - for time like these, it is a life-saver.

Hope you recover real quick.

My sympathies

April 21st, 2012, 3:16 pm #3

Hi Ladies,
I am hoping that some of you here will have some advice on handling my current situation. I have a 4 year old and without boring you with too many details, I fell earlier this week, broke my ankle and ended up having to have 6 pins, 2 screws, and a plate put into my ankle yesterday. My 4 year old is VERY active as I am sure all 4 year olds are. My husband has been very helpful the past few days but I notice him losing his patience a bit more having all the responsibilities fall on his shoulders. I am feeling guilty relying on him for everything and not being able to give dd as much attention.
Any suggestions on how to make it through the next few weeks of bed rest without all of us losing our minds? DD has been bringing books into me to read to her and we have been playing card games in my bed but I still feel guilty when my meds kick in and I have to sleep (meds seem to make me a bit nauseous and sleepy). Thanks in advance for anything you can offer! Stephanie
My first thought would be to ask friends and family to help, but thinking of my own situation that wouldnt be a possibility since everyone is far away.

For short term stomach flu, I have parked the kids in front of the TV while I laid on the couch. Not my normal way of parenting, but it got me through. I dont think that would be a great option for weeks, though.

You could enroll her in daycare for the time being, just to get you through if youre not fond of daycare. Shell get lots of activity, attention, and outdoor play. Another option would be to go on sittercity.com and find daily help, a nanny of sorts. That way shed be at the house with you, yet you wouldnt feel quite so bad needing to rest when you need to rest. If you found the right nanny, she could also prepare meals and do laundry.

This sounds difficult and painful. I hope that you recover more quickly than you expect!

Pink

April 21st, 2012, 5:59 pm #4

Hi Ladies,
Thank you for the advice. I do have great friends in the area and my in laws are stepping up to help a bit. DD is in a preschool program three days a week so I just have to work out a schedule with friends to get her there and home. Some of my closest friends have already started a meal delivery schedule so DH doesn't have to worry about cooking. My biggest problem is in the morning when she gets up and wants attention right away and I can't get out of bed to get her breakfast. We let daddy sleep in today since he has been running around all week taking care of me and the house and dd. It actually worked out pretty well, dd was able to go down to the kitchen, fill up one of her little shopping bags with a loaf of bread, a jar of nutella, a butter knife and one of her plastic plates. She brought it up to me in bed and I made her a sandwich. I will just have to be sure that dh fills a sippy cup with milk in it at night before he goes to bed. She is pretty helpful with getting ready and I can shuffle to her room to help her. Hopefully I will be a little more mobile next week and be able to get down stairs...I will still be on bed rest but I will at least have a change of scenery! I just HATE feeling so helpless!!!!!!

April 22nd, 2012, 1:46 am #5

Hi Ladies,
Stephanie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. Yikes. I broke my arm just below the ball of my shoulder a couple years ago (DS was 3) and had to have surgery and a plate and it stank (though not relative to the alternatives, of course) -- but at least it being an arm rather than a leg, I remained (moderately) mobile.

Aside from what others have already suggested, we had decent luck with hiring a neighborhood teenager to take DS out-and-about and entertain him. Might this be an option? I know that for me/us, even a few hours made a huge difference (and of course helped balance out the extra TV time, etc.).

The only other encouragement I can give you is to say that 2 years after the fact, these weeks will be a distant and unimportant memory. Oh, I'll also note -- I had really good luck with a TENS device for pain control (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, it sounds crazy, but for me at least, it worked), which for me was a much better tool after the initial surgical recovery than was medication, because of the kinds of side effect that you describe.

Best wishes,
Alex

April 22nd, 2012, 3:13 am #6

Hi Ladies,
Does your insurance cover a personal care attendant for you to help with some of the domestic tasks you can't do?

I'd sure bring in a sitter and use books on cd, video games, and even extra daycare, as Pink suggested.

Lots of take-out, play-dates at friends' homes, and frozen dinners.

GL! Poor you!

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

April 22nd, 2012, 6:59 pm #7

Hi Ladies,
My goodness that is awful! I'm so sorry and hope you heal soon.

It's so tough when you are sick/out of commission with little ones around. I hope you can rely on friends/family/neighbors plus some hired help for a couple of weeks.

We limit tv in our house but I have to say if I were in your situation I would certainly use it for when you really need a break. I guess the danger is she will then want it all the time once you are up and about; but if you are desperate then think about it.

It's hard to be immobile.

Hugs,

Lillian

April 22nd, 2012, 7:17 pm #8

Hi Ladies,
just sympathy.

and one good thing is that your DH will fully appreciate all you do--in case he doesn't know it yet.

I'd be leaning on friends, asking for playdates at their houses and promising to make it up to them once mobile.

Oddly enough, a mom at school broke her ankle and her SIL came to stay with them for 3wks during the worst of her recovery. She's lucky to have that kind of help. I know that if I was laid up in bed (quick! knock on wood) I wouldn't have that kind of help.

Good luck and happy healing, hope it mends and you feel like new at the end of this.
hugs
julie

April 22nd, 2012, 9:46 pm #9

Hi Ladies,
Thanks for your responses...
My mom had mentioned when it first happened that she would see about taking a week off from work to come and help out but hasn't mentioned it since. I am assuming it won't work with her schedule (she is a first grade teacher and she is rarely able to take off because of how it impacts her students). I was a little bummed but as a teacher myself, I completely understand.
I do have lots of girlfriends that will help with playdates and like I mentioned they have all stepped up to bring meals by at night so we don't have to worry about cooking.
My mom is sending me money so I can hire someone to do the basic cleaning a few times while I am off my feet. I don't know how I feel about that-it might be more stressful having someone in my house without being able to "pre clean" before they come
I am getting very antsy sitting around doing nothing. I should use this time to catch up on DD's scrapbook! i have all the pictures put together and organized, just need to put them on the scrapbook pages! At least this would be productive!

April 23rd, 2012, 2:31 am #10

I don't have cleaning help anymore, but friends do, and they pre-clean, too.

You could tell the cleaning person that the mess and the accident happened while you were out of town, and dh was home alone with dd. :D

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998