Nap training sucks :(

Nap training sucks :(

May 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm #1

I'm trying to get DS, 26 months, switched to napping in the crib instead of lying down with me and nursing. It sucks for the first 15 minutes when he's crying like his he's dying, but he naps for longer when it works. Kills me though.

Just needed to vent

May 22nd, 2012, 5:52 pm #2

The crying feels like a kick in the stomach, doesn't it? How long have you been making the change?

I know parents who have done the gentle cry it out, where they go in every 5 minutes and rub the child's back, and it did help to make the transition.

Just remember that you are giving your child the gift of much-needed sleep. It's priceless.

Pink

May 22nd, 2012, 6:23 pm #3

I'm trying to get DS, 26 months, switched to napping in the crib instead of lying down with me and nursing. It sucks for the first 15 minutes when he's crying like his he's dying, but he naps for longer when it works. Kills me though.

Just needed to vent
but the payoff is huge! Hang in there, it should be less crying every time. Soon you should be able to put him in there and walk out with silence! Just think of it this way, you are changing something he is used to and he is not happy about it. But he will become used to the new thing.

Also, for me getting the nap routine down also helped the bedtime routine too. Sleep is important for everyone. GL

jkl

May 23rd, 2012, 3:22 pm #4

not much time but wanted to respond. Been working on naps for a month or so, but it's been interrupted by illnesses and travel. Unfortunately for me, my bugaboo seems to be the opposite of other kids - days he goes down alone in the crib seems to mess up his nights. Lying with me at naptime (with my boob in his mouth!) leads to easy settling at night. Soooo frustrating - I get one or the other. Yesterday he slept a solid hour and a half nap after 15 mins of crying. Then last night he would not go down and finallly fell asleep at 10:30. Awful.

Today we are driving to family in Massachusetts from NY, so he'll get a car nap. Those seem to be neutral - he should be fine tonight. And bonus, my boobs are saved. I'm working on weaning him by shortening nursing sessions and have hopes of dropping the nap one, but it's not going terribly well.

Got to go pack. Thanks for the support. I hate hearing him cry like that, but it's so nice when he sleeps afterwards.

May 23rd, 2012, 5:53 pm #5

I think if you are not doing it consistently it may take a lot longer because he is getting mixed signals.

My 22 month old goes down about 12:30-1 and sleeps for 2-3 hours, and then goes down for the night at 8pm. We are pretty rigid about naps so she never skips one. As they get older naps can interfere with the night sleep but I think 26 mo sounds too young for that. Maybe he is just upset about the nap experience and wants to avoid it at night? How does he usually go down at night, does he usually nurse? I think if he nurses at night that may be tough to try to skip it for naps. GL

jkl

May 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm #6

Part of my struggle is that I've hit a bit of a wall with nursing the last couple of weeks. I'm 6 months pregnant, and seem to have developed a "nursing aversion", which I guess is not that uncommon at this point. It's hard to describe, but nursing is really just unpleasant to me now.

Ugh. DS awake. More later.

May 26th, 2012, 2:26 pm #7

Just needed to vent
napping without the boob is hard. In fact, I tried getting DS (at the time, of course, he's 9 now. lol. can you imagine??) to have naps without "me" and it was hopeless.

The only way he'd go to sleep (and stay asleep) without nursing was when he was in the stroller. seriously. So I'd try to be somewhere where I could make the best of it; at the mall, as soon as he fell asleep, I'd RUN to shop for my own clothing where I could try on bras without nursing demands or other clothings without him demanding my attention. It sure was a trying time for me and at the time it felt like such a long and big deal but today, the memory of it isn't so bad

Then I discovered that if he didn't nap, he'd actually sleep better through out the night and not wake for nursing so much. He was around 1&1/2 by then. I nursed until he was 2 and he'd need it to get to sleep at night. I became very proficient at self-directed pep talks. lol
It can be very stressful.

good luck. and know that I am sympathizing in a big way. lol

I heard a saying once: the days drag by but the years fly by. so true, so true.

Julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~