my 11lb baby is now struggling to put weight on...

my 11lb baby is now struggling to put weight on...

April 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm #1

he lost it and now at almost 3 weeks, he is still not back to his birth weight (he only put on 2oz in the last week). I appear to have plenty milk but I am probably guilty of not feeding him enough as he can sleep for a good bit -but I would never let him go more than 4 hours and I try to feed him more often than this.

Is it because he was such a big baby to begin with as I never had this problem with the other 3 boys

April 16th, 2012, 1:53 pm #2

could he be sleeping a lot right now (or is this usual? is he a sleepy baby?) due to the 3wk growth spurt? Some babies nurse like mad before the growth spurt, some during and some after.

Are his nappies wet? pooping ok?

You probably know this already but I'll say it anyways: I'd strip him for his feeds, put him directly on your tummy, skin to skin and switch sides every time he slows down. Even if it's every two minutes.Tickle him under the chin to keep him awake, etc.

If you are really worried, try to nurse him every 3hours for a day to see if this improves his wakefulness--unless he's simply a sleepy baby. Then do watch the clock and nurse him on schedule. Noting the diapers, wet or solids, on paper so you can keep track. (even with one I had to write it down, I can't imagine how busy you must be)

I'd say if he tends to be a sleepy baby, then at least if he's nursing every 4 hrs and wetting his diapers and seems alert during his awake times (even if it's for 10-15mins) then he's ok, just a growth spurt. There's something about 3s. 3wks, 6wks, 3mos, 6mos, 9mos 12mos...it's weird how the growth spurts come that way.

My DS was slow to gain but I had supply issues. I watched his diapers really closely. Even if there's no poop, with a BF baby, the wet diapers are key. Some babies absorb most of the milk and only have urine to give.
Be sure to do skin on skin while nursing. It's awesome and helps.

good luck and keep us posted
Julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 16th, 2012, 2:01 pm #3

he lost it and now at almost 3 weeks, he is still not back to his birth weight (he only put on 2oz in the last week). I appear to have plenty milk but I am probably guilty of not feeding him enough as he can sleep for a good bit -but I would never let him go more than 4 hours and I try to feed him more often than this.

Is it because he was such a big baby to begin with as I never had this problem with the other 3 boys
Honestly, I can't remember with my 3 big boys, but I know they did lose a lot. 11 lbs is a different category though and I bet you can't use regular standards. Is there such a thing as excess water weight in a newborn?

My biggest was 9lb1oz and we supplemented with formula, but something tells me he lost about 8oz(?) in the first few days and remember he did not have it back by the 2week appt.

I let all of them sleep if they slept more than 4 hours... didn't happen much, but I believe you never touch a sleeping baby. I think a sleeping newborn is healthy... just my opinion not based in ANY medical knowledge or fact.

Do you think maybe it is ok if he loses a little? As long as he is thriving? How are his other development signs such as reflexes, length, eye movement, etc.?

April 16th, 2012, 9:23 pm #4

could he be sleeping a lot right now (or is this usual? is he a sleepy baby?) due to the 3wk growth spurt? Some babies nurse like mad before the growth spurt, some during and some after.

Are his nappies wet? pooping ok?

You probably know this already but I'll say it anyways: I'd strip him for his feeds, put him directly on your tummy, skin to skin and switch sides every time he slows down. Even if it's every two minutes.Tickle him under the chin to keep him awake, etc.

If you are really worried, try to nurse him every 3hours for a day to see if this improves his wakefulness--unless he's simply a sleepy baby. Then do watch the clock and nurse him on schedule. Noting the diapers, wet or solids, on paper so you can keep track. (even with one I had to write it down, I can't imagine how busy you must be)

I'd say if he tends to be a sleepy baby, then at least if he's nursing every 4 hrs and wetting his diapers and seems alert during his awake times (even if it's for 10-15mins) then he's ok, just a growth spurt. There's something about 3s. 3wks, 6wks, 3mos, 6mos, 9mos 12mos...it's weird how the growth spurts come that way.

My DS was slow to gain but I had supply issues. I watched his diapers really closely. Even if there's no poop, with a BF baby, the wet diapers are key. Some babies absorb most of the milk and only have urine to give.
Be sure to do skin on skin while nursing. It's awesome and helps.

good luck and keep us posted
Julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
go a bit too much over because I am so busy with the other boys. But saying that, I do mostly feed him up between 3 - 4 hours but this evening, everything happened and it was 4.5 hours, probably bordering on 5 hours before I finally managed to wake him up (dinner, bath, 3 yr old did a poop in his pants, the 19 months old also had a dirty bum to clean and then dress in PJs and then they said they were hungry so had to make toasts for tv).

But I must have had the same problem with son no 2 and 3 but they still put on weight. In fact, son no 2 use to only feed for about 10mins and I use to wonder how he could put weight on, but he did.

Anyway, in every other respect, this baby seems well, bright, alert just slow to gain weight. The health visitor is talking about me having to consider supplementing him with formula milk which I do not want to do (I find bottles a hassle anyway).

I am sure I have plenty milk going by my daily battle with leaky boobs.

April 16th, 2012, 9:28 pm #5

Honestly, I can't remember with my 3 big boys, but I know they did lose a lot. 11 lbs is a different category though and I bet you can't use regular standards. Is there such a thing as excess water weight in a newborn?

My biggest was 9lb1oz and we supplemented with formula, but something tells me he lost about 8oz(?) in the first few days and remember he did not have it back by the 2week appt.

I let all of them sleep if they slept more than 4 hours... didn't happen much, but I believe you never touch a sleeping baby. I think a sleeping newborn is healthy... just my opinion not based in ANY medical knowledge or fact.

Do you think maybe it is ok if he loses a little? As long as he is thriving? How are his other development signs such as reflexes, length, eye movement, etc.?

well, bright and alert. He is a sleepy baby but when he is awake, he is good and he is strong, and appears to be following me with his eyes. Also, his muscle control seems good and even the health visitor said he is not showing signs of dehydration - plenty wet nappies (less of poops but this was the same for the other boys too when they were newborn).

They use to say that I made double cream because my first 3 boys put on weight easily but less so the case with this boy. But he is quite a bit heavier than the others so maybe it is just harder to sustain that weight.

Anyway, don't like it when it seems to be bothering health visitor such that she thinks I should consider supplementing with formula.

April 17th, 2012, 8:34 am #6

I think we always are trying to blame ourselves for things!!! If I were you, if there is a concern I would make sure that the pediatrician has pursued other possible causes of this if it truly can be considered "failure to thrive" in the weight gain sense. I don't mean to sound alarmist but you would not want to have them miss an important organic but obscure cause yet treatable cause. If you don't feel satisfied with the pediatrician's response, get a second opinion. Ask to see the growth curve with the points plotted for your child. Do they really veer off the curve to your eye?

I want to give a few examples but I do not want to imply that these are in any way what is going on with your child. Just want to point out that there can be treatable causes of lack of weight gain if your intuition says to pursue. Not that this is the cause but just as an example, our friend had her pediatrician miss the diagnosis of cyctic fibrosis in her dd only to have her mother (a nurse) figure out that dd needed to be tested for this. DD suffered digestive problems (pain, bloating, poor weight gain) for about an extra year prior to diagnosis. The child is very bright, so that was never an issue. I also know that many cases of tuberculosis in children are missed by clinicians because this infection has become quite rate in the U.S. This can cause failure to thrive, is easily treated, and has no affect on intelligence or other developmental landmarks.

If the growth curve does not look too far off then maybe this is simply this child's pattern. My friend had two children several years apart about the same birth weight, and it was a high birth weight. One stayed on that high trajectory and the other dropped down to the 50th percentile during the first six months and has remained there through 3 years of age. All normal!

I hope this doesn't upset you to barge in and give some scary examples.

warm regards,
Malka

ds born 11.20.09 from single embie
highest fsh 75

April 18th, 2012, 5:02 pm #7

as he was born a big boy and he has not lost more than 6% of his birth weight.

I think he will be tested for a range of conditions including CF as part of his standard newborn baby test, which I will hear about soon. And he will be seeing his GP for a 6 weeks check by which time I hope that he will have started to gain weight as I am now making a concious effort to feed him every 3 hours (waking him up etc)

Will keep you posted.