KM, how is your son doing?

KM, how is your son doing?

June 16th, 2012, 5:58 am #1

Now that school is out, how are things going?

Malka

ds born 11.20.09 from single embie
highest fsh 75

June 17th, 2012, 2:54 am #2

Things are a little worse. He doesn't have the support and it's all social/interpersonal activities. Some structure, but not as much as school, and of course, nothing academic, which is where he does better. I'm out of town at a workshop, so I'll try to post more info later. I appreciate your thinking of us. How does your ds do when he's out of school?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

June 17th, 2012, 4:27 pm #3

Where we live, there are so many activities and camps for kiddos over the summer. There are a few that really resonate for kids that "think outside the box", so to speak, like your boy. Maybe you can find something he would like. There is one here that is a Lego camp and I hooked up some of our families with boys with ADHD to that camp.

June 18th, 2012, 2:34 am #4

he said no to lego camp!

Academic camp? Even though he has fewer behavior issues in class, he would hate that, and to me, it sounds like something that high-stakes high-pressure parents do to their pre-ivy-league kids. I hate homework. I wouldn't make my child do academic work in the summer. In my city, academic camp is meant to get kids ready for the school year, but I'm fine with the school taking a week or two to get the kids back into the swing. I don't want to take away a week or more of summer. Thank you for reaching out, though. Our autism liaison is going to observe him at the cdc and make some recommendations to the teachers.

He's going to do a climbing tower/ropes/kayaking camp in July for a week. I hope he'll reconsider legos next summer. I think he believes the other kids will be too young.

ttc since 1998

June 18th, 2012, 2:12 pm #5

Things are a little worse. He doesn't have the support and it's all social/interpersonal activities. Some structure, but not as much as school, and of course, nothing academic, which is where he does better. I'm out of town at a workshop, so I'll try to post more info later. I appreciate your thinking of us. How does your ds do when he's out of school?

ttc since 1998
Like your ds my ds does worse after the structure of school is gone. This time we are in the throes of testing out ADD meds. I am finding the meds scary but he says he feels better and less "crazy" (his words). I hate the effect on his appetite and how he is at the end of the day when coming off the effect of the meds.

Traditional camps have not held much interest for my ds. Here are the camps that he has loved:
fencing
cooking
clay
digital studio camp (learned to make and edit videos. This place also has camps to learn how to make apps, and another to make video games)
archery
camp that are outdoors all day where they get to play these group epic games like a counselor is a dragon and they all have to figure out how to slay the dragon using marshmallow shooters, etc
engineering camp (given by the engineering dept at NCSU)
soccer camp

this year we are trying one of the Invention Camps

I hope you get to enjoy a little away time at the workshop.

warm regards,
Malka

highest fsh 75

June 18th, 2012, 2:58 pm #6

ttc since 1998
Like your ds my ds does worse after the structure of school is gone. This time we are in the throes of testing out ADD meds. I am finding the meds scary but he says he feels better and less "crazy" (his words). I hate the effect on his appetite and how he is at the end of the day when coming off the effect of the meds.

Traditional camps have not held much interest for my ds. Here are the camps that he has loved:
fencing
cooking
clay
digital studio camp (learned to make and edit videos. This place also has camps to learn how to make apps, and another to make video games)
archery
camp that are outdoors all day where they get to play these group epic games like a counselor is a dragon and they all have to figure out how to slay the dragon using marshmallow shooters, etc
soccer camp

warm regards,
Malka

highest fsh 75

June 25th, 2012, 3:05 pm #7

fencing
cooking
clay
archery
soccer camp

warm regards,
Malka

highest fsh 75
Are those all near your community? I don't think we have as many for ds's age group. I'd love to see him get into creating and editing video. A neighbor's son does that, but he has to travel to Atlanta to get a really good camp for that.

ttc since 1998