Job help

Job help

December 18th, 2011, 11:35 am #1

I am thinking about getting a p/t job and I think I found a fun place that I might like. I am not sure if I need to - but I was thinking of update or re-working my resume but I am stuck - technically I have not been "employed" since before DD was born - actually before that = pre-pregnancy. I was a fitness instructor and makeup artist/skincare professional but don't want to go back into that area. This job is "artsy" so my skills could translate but it's more about multitasking and customer service...the job is at a very cool painting pottery place if that helps.

I have also been active in my community as a volunteer for many years and hold an executive position, so that might help...

I could put that I was working for my husband for this entire time - which I do - but not sure. Then if they ask why am I leaving what would I say? Need a change?
Could use the money?? Not sure how to go about it.

Do I write Stay at home Mommy???

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

December 19th, 2011, 2:36 pm #2

Fleur,

I'm definitely not the expert here but the advice I have seen if your work experience isn't a continuous time sequence is to organize your resume on skills rather than as a timeline. An online example/explanation (that I dug up just by googling) is here: http://blogs.wsj.com/laidoff/2009/03/23 ... ed-resume/ . I hope that's some help.

There's a wonderful pottery painting place in our town that is really great for kids so if that's not a market yours is already in maybe you could emphasize how your experience as a mom could help you bring in those new customers (if you want to/think it would be of interest). Or of course is they are already customers you could talk about how your experience as a mom will serve you in serving those customers. Or you may prefer not to link your "mom experience" at all, but just thought it could be a good fit.

GL!

Best wishes,
Alex

December 20th, 2011, 2:29 am #3

I'm still trying to figure out what to put on resume since I have not worked in my field technically for several years. Not sure how far I should go?? It's almost like starting from scratch and any job that I had is not worth listing over several years ago but I still have the experience!

Thanks!!

December 20th, 2011, 3:45 am #4

Last year I completed my yoga teacher certification and was scared to apply anywhere as I hadn't taught yet (I had taught fitness and dance but not yoga). I found a studio that I knew was hiring (they were adding classes) and I just showed up one day to meet the manager. We had a nice connection, so when I brought her my resume she already knew me and offered me two classes on the spot. I think I got the job because I looked so much better in person than I did on paper! So...if it's this job or another, if it's a smallish place and you can find out when the manager works, I would definitely recommend going in personally. Yes, design your resume to reflect your skill set and goals. Even if you don't know what your job goals are right now, make something up that fits the position. Good luck and keep us posted!
Last edited by doglvr on December 20th, 2011, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm #5

I am thinking about getting a p/t job and I think I found a fun place that I might like. I am not sure if I need to - but I was thinking of update or re-working my resume but I am stuck - technically I have not been "employed" since before DD was born - actually before that = pre-pregnancy. I was a fitness instructor and makeup artist/skincare professional but don't want to go back into that area. This job is "artsy" so my skills could translate but it's more about multitasking and customer service...the job is at a very cool painting pottery place if that helps.

I have also been active in my community as a volunteer for many years and hold an executive position, so that might help...

I could put that I was working for my husband for this entire time - which I do - but not sure. Then if they ask why am I leaving what would I say? Need a change?
Could use the money?? Not sure how to go about it.

Do I write Stay at home Mommy???

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!
I would not put down "stay at home Mom" imho not a good idea and I would absolutely put down your husband's business work experience. It's the truth and it's work.

Also, my opinion is that you should not add personal details when job seeking. You never know the position of the person asking the interview questions. One may think being a Mom is perfect experience for a place entertaining kids, but the persn hiring may be sick of daily exposure to mommies---kwim?

I would write all job experiences down on a resume, highlighting what relates to the duties of the position and stick to those topics without adding personal info---even if it relates. Answer from a purely professional place. Also, when appropriate, ask tons of questions about the duties, the process/daily operations, the goals of the business in relation to the specific job. Once those questions are asked, you kind of see what they want and can add your experience accordingly.

Good Luck!