I was attacked by a dog yesterday

I was attacked by a dog yesterday

November 9th, 2011, 2:03 pm #1

and feeling very traumatized. I walk 3-4 times a week 3.5 miles through my hilly neighborhood. It is peaceful and tranquil, very therapeutic actually. There are dogs occ that are roaming in the streets, I do have a level of discomfort with dogs anyway but none have ever bothered me. Yesterday, I hear dogs barking and two dogs starting charging towards me from up a hill, I stopped and started praying for an electric fence but nope here they come. One started to attack me, I turned away from it and started walking back the way I came while trying to call 911. It did stop and started back up to its house then I noticed a woman outside and called for her. Unfortunately she didn't have a clue as to what happened and the dog came down with her and ran in front of her and starting nipping at my leg again! I was terrified! She could not control the dog. I made it home and realized the dog broke through my skin so called animal control and went to get medical care. So animal control goes there and she knows the woman, who I will say was very nice but they can't afford to have the dog, can't afford the right training or an electric fence. They are supposed to take the dog for 14 days and quarantine it but the woman tells her she wouldn't be able to pay the 280 to get the dog out and would have to leave it, the animal control agreed to allow her to quarantine it on her property and I am unsure I am comfortable with this. It concerns me that my town does not have a leash law but the owner is supposed to be with the dog and in control of it. Even if she keeps the dog leashed for 2 weeks, what happens after that? Plus animal control states she saw multiple dogs wandering in the road near there, why didn't she do something? Am I wrong? My DH is pissed and plans on taking the pictures of my bites and copies of emails from our neighbors who have also had issues with an aggressive dog in that area. Why are the dogs protected and not the humans? So frustrated!

November 9th, 2011, 3:18 pm #2

that is terrible!

My father has the same complaint, how animals' lives are valued higher than humans, in some cases.

Anyways, I hope the animal control takes this in hand, goes by the house several times a week to verify that the woman is fulfilling her agreement.

What can you do, legally, to protect yourself? I mean you can't carry a gun and would pepper spray even help?? I'd think it would enrage a dog more. CArry a stick? I have no idea. I think if that dig is that protective of it's home that it becomes that aggressive, it needs to be chained. period.

I'm curious to see what the dog owners on this bb have to offer. I live in a city where most dogs are on a leash but it does bring up the problem of what can a human do to protect/deter an attack??

hugs and hope your wounds heals quickly. At the first sign of redness and heat, go see the Dr to make sure it's healing well.
jm

me:42, DH 43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 9th, 2011, 3:24 pm #3

and feeling very traumatized. I walk 3-4 times a week 3.5 miles through my hilly neighborhood. It is peaceful and tranquil, very therapeutic actually. There are dogs occ that are roaming in the streets, I do have a level of discomfort with dogs anyway but none have ever bothered me. Yesterday, I hear dogs barking and two dogs starting charging towards me from up a hill, I stopped and started praying for an electric fence but nope here they come. One started to attack me, I turned away from it and started walking back the way I came while trying to call 911. It did stop and started back up to its house then I noticed a woman outside and called for her. Unfortunately she didn't have a clue as to what happened and the dog came down with her and ran in front of her and starting nipping at my leg again! I was terrified! She could not control the dog. I made it home and realized the dog broke through my skin so called animal control and went to get medical care. So animal control goes there and she knows the woman, who I will say was very nice but they can't afford to have the dog, can't afford the right training or an electric fence. They are supposed to take the dog for 14 days and quarantine it but the woman tells her she wouldn't be able to pay the 280 to get the dog out and would have to leave it, the animal control agreed to allow her to quarantine it on her property and I am unsure I am comfortable with this. It concerns me that my town does not have a leash law but the owner is supposed to be with the dog and in control of it. Even if she keeps the dog leashed for 2 weeks, what happens after that? Plus animal control states she saw multiple dogs wandering in the road near there, why didn't she do something? Am I wrong? My DH is pissed and plans on taking the pictures of my bites and copies of emails from our neighbors who have also had issues with an aggressive dog in that area. Why are the dogs protected and not the humans? So frustrated!
That is so scary, Gail! TG you didn't have the kids with you. I'd be freaking out too, and I love dogs. Leash laws are so important - can you start an initiative to get one in your town? Find out from your animal control what the procedure should be with regards to what happened. If this is an aggressive dog, there is no fence, and especially if there are children around, something has to be done. Do you have a local representative you can complain to about this? Or town council? There must be someone who represents your neighborhood/town interests to whom you can voice your concern and inquire about enacting a leash law.

So sorry Gail. I hope your wounds heal soon. I'm glad you went to get medical care, because you don't want to mess with any infection that might happen. Also, the woman whose dog it is should be paying your medical fees.

Big hugs.

xoxo
Lillian
Last edited by wilbur75 on November 9th, 2011, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 9th, 2011, 3:33 pm #4

similar happened to my sis and her 3 kids. Let us just say that they sued them and recovered the money for bites, hospital visits and stuff.

She should not be allowed to keep a dog if she can not control it. it could have been a little kid or a baby.

Till today, my niece starts screaming when she sees a dog. She was bitten by an unruly dog at the park whose owners did nothing to stop the attack.

November 9th, 2011, 4:18 pm #5

I am so sorry to read this. You know dog issues have been near and dear to me. My peeve is always about the owners who do NOT do their just duty. I really hope that you can come to some kind of justice in this.

Hugs,
Z.

November 9th, 2011, 7:23 pm #6

That is awful, Gail! I am so sorry this happened to you and that the situation doesn't seem to be being handled adequately at all. I'm glad your husband is pissed off, and I hope he uses his anger to pursue this situation and get something done, so you don't feel you have to. Healing hugs to you.

xoxox
MM

November 9th, 2011, 11:24 pm #7

my first dog was a bit unpredictable with strangers and we were ultra ultra careful with her (she was a most loving dog to her family)

so I am amazed when people are slack over dogs that can be aggressive.............

I have always been told that you never run away from a dog and used water or a loud voice to shock them into disobedience (but I think my natural instinct would be to run and who has water to hand)

anyway, there are lots of tips on the internet about how to defend yourself against a dog attack but I do hope it never happens again for you.

November 10th, 2011, 12:44 am #8

And I am just so tired. Between starting the meds for ADD, my leg killing me, and still getting back to normal after no power for 7 days, I am so tired, maybe even depressed. It was a low day with the kids, one had a playdate and when the mom came my kids were out of control, seriously crazy, I was mortified. Anyway that is another story. The police were not helpful, his take is we have an understaffed police department and they can't be watching for wandering dogs. Dogs are supposed to be either leashed, or have a fence or electric fence to keep them on the property, but they don't do much to enforce it, if I complain enough to animal control, she will ticket them but he claims it doesn't do much. His suggestion, walk a route that doesn't have loose dogs....just great.

November 10th, 2011, 3:03 am #9

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry for the pain and trauma, Gail! I agree with you, and I wouldn't blame you at all if you called back to speak to a supervisor to get the dog impounded. There's no reason to think the owner is going to be more responsible now than she was before. Definitely do take pix.

Your town does have its priorities screwed up if it doesn't protect the tax-payers! Dogs are property, not people! I love my dog beyond words, but he's not a person and has no civil rights.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

November 10th, 2011, 3:06 am #10

that is terrible!

My father has the same complaint, how animals' lives are valued higher than humans, in some cases.

Anyways, I hope the animal control takes this in hand, goes by the house several times a week to verify that the woman is fulfilling her agreement.

What can you do, legally, to protect yourself? I mean you can't carry a gun and would pepper spray even help?? I'd think it would enrage a dog more. CArry a stick? I have no idea. I think if that dig is that protective of it's home that it becomes that aggressive, it needs to be chained. period.

I'm curious to see what the dog owners on this bb have to offer. I live in a city where most dogs are on a leash but it does bring up the problem of what can a human do to protect/deter an attack??

hugs and hope your wounds heals quickly. At the first sign of redness and heat, go see the Dr to make sure it's healing well.
jm

me:42, DH 43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and I might even consider carrying something lightweight that can be used to hit an attacking animal. I think that if the dog is clamping down, if you can possibly get your spray, maybe you can spray its eyes and make it let go.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998