Hopefully I am not getting ahead of myself here

Hopefully I am not getting ahead of myself here

July 5th, 2012, 2:33 am #1

but I am close to 2 weeks of changing our diet to no preservatives, food coloring, additives and I think I am dreaming. My oldest DS (10) has been amazing for the past two days. The change is indescribable, it is like a lightbulb lit, I just don't know what to think. He has been happy, giggling, making up jokes, not arguing with me, and getting along with his siblings. I have not needed to discipline him once in two days, this is a freakin miracle. The calmness that I feel, well it feels awkward and foreign. And I have noticed a difference with my now 7 y/o DS as well, he is still energetic but not at a chaotic level. There hasn't been any hitting, pushing, pinching in 2 days. Please oh please let this continue. And if it does, I will be kicking myself for not looking into this sooner. I hope Pink, KM, and others are having as good of luck.

July 5th, 2012, 3:16 am #2

No coincidence! Eating clean works for super athletes - moving toward organic and reducing or even eliminating gluten will bring about more amazing changes too. Congrats! It's not easy but well worth the effort!

[size=300]EllenA[/size]

dx'd high fsh at age 30
ttc 6 years
5 failed clomid cycles
2 failed IVF cycles
#3 IVF/ICSI worked out fine
FET 2 years later didn't work out
Proud mom of an amazing miracle boy.

July 5th, 2012, 4:19 am #3

but I am close to 2 weeks of changing our diet to no preservatives, food coloring, additives and I think I am dreaming. My oldest DS (10) has been amazing for the past two days. The change is indescribable, it is like a lightbulb lit, I just don't know what to think. He has been happy, giggling, making up jokes, not arguing with me, and getting along with his siblings. I have not needed to discipline him once in two days, this is a freakin miracle. The calmness that I feel, well it feels awkward and foreign. And I have noticed a difference with my now 7 y/o DS as well, he is still energetic but not at a chaotic level. There hasn't been any hitting, pushing, pinching in 2 days. Please oh please let this continue. And if it does, I will be kicking myself for not looking into this sooner. I hope Pink, KM, and others are having as good of luck.
Did you do full-on Feingold, or just the preservatives and additives?

I havent made too many changes, only a few things like substituting Lays potato chips for Pringles (Lays are okay on Feingold) My son really doesnt eat too many preservatives to begin with. Im wondering if our problem is the salicylates. My son lives on apples, tomatoes, pickles, and many other salicylate-rich foods.

I did notice that yesterday, I gave him a popsicle with blue coloring and he was really hyper after that (so was my younger son). So I think those have to go....Im going to see if I can find something natural that still looks fun like the popsicle brand.

I hate being as crabby as I have been with my boys during the last week. The crabbiness stems from a deep down worry that Ill never get this behavior under control, and that its going to impact their school years.

Enough about me, this is your good news post!! I hope your happy days continue. You have inspired me to push forward. The days you describe would be a dream, for sure!!

Good work, Mama!!

Pink

July 5th, 2012, 11:24 am #4

Its amazing that people don't realize all the extra stuff we put in to ourselves and its all regulated. Good for you for being able to follow diet. I need to research it more but I know the proof is in the pudding. I would like to learn about this not only for the future but for myself as well.

July 5th, 2012, 3:54 pm #5

Recently found thishttp://www.foodb.com/index.htm
I haven't used it myself, but may.

Glad to hear you DS's are showing improvement.

July 5th, 2012, 8:46 pm #6

I just saw a joke on it on facebook, it's called clean eating or something like that.

Good on ya!

you are an inspiration!!

Julie

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July 5th, 2012, 10:26 pm #7

I have been getting lazy lately and letting them eat too much processed stuff. Granted it's the more "healthy" processed stuff, but organic and whole grain aside, it's still processed with too much sugar!

I'm really happy to hear how great things are going!!!!!

July 5th, 2012, 10:29 pm #8

Did you do full-on Feingold, or just the preservatives and additives?

I havent made too many changes, only a few things like substituting Lays potato chips for Pringles (Lays are okay on Feingold) My son really doesnt eat too many preservatives to begin with. Im wondering if our problem is the salicylates. My son lives on apples, tomatoes, pickles, and many other salicylate-rich foods.

I did notice that yesterday, I gave him a popsicle with blue coloring and he was really hyper after that (so was my younger son). So I think those have to go....Im going to see if I can find something natural that still looks fun like the popsicle brand.

I hate being as crabby as I have been with my boys during the last week. The crabbiness stems from a deep down worry that Ill never get this behavior under control, and that its going to impact their school years.

Enough about me, this is your good news post!! I hope your happy days continue. You have inspired me to push forward. The days you describe would be a dream, for sure!!

Good work, Mama!!

Pink
I have only really got rid of preservatives, food coloring. I agree, that food coloring is definitely a trigger. Italian ice seemed fine and kids like those. I figured I would try this first. We already eat a lot organic, trying to do more organic snacks that I hate to spend the money on. I still have to find margarine/butter without preservatives. I also found bread to be bad too and have never made a great one that the kids like homemade.. I need to find wraps that are ok, also want to see if I can make them on my own. Would love to learn to make bagels on my own, tried it once and failed. I only need 8 more hours in a day! I am hoping I don't have to move to those salicylates, that would be really hard. But one thing I noticed is that golden apples are lower, maybe try switching to those plus they are sweeter, I am switching to those since we eat a ton of apples around here. Slow changes, if I try to do too much I will lose it. Another good day with Noah, he was with the sitter....thank god! I know what you mean about being worried about their behavior, I haven't had control over Ethan, my youngest since he was born. Can you see a social worker/therapist for some help? It is usually covered under insurance and definitely can be very helpful.

July 6th, 2012, 12:48 am #9

I have been getting lazy lately and letting them eat too much processed stuff. Granted it's the more "healthy" processed stuff, but organic and whole grain aside, it's still processed with too much sugar!

I'm really happy to hear how great things are going!!!!!
We had soft tacos for dinner tonight with natural beef mixed with a homemade taco seasoning mix, will add link. We made our own flour tortillas for the first time and the kids really liked them. Organic cheddar cheese and shredded romaine.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-f ... etail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seaso ... etail.aspx

the other night we had natural chicken legs grilled with some seasoning, potato salad -homemade by my DH and edamame. Have you tried the frozen organic edamame, you throw them in the microwave and they are delicious and full of protein.

If anyone else wants to post any ideas, would love to hear them. Need some grilled fish ideas to inspire me.

July 6th, 2012, 12:59 am #10

I have only really got rid of preservatives, food coloring. I agree, that food coloring is definitely a trigger. Italian ice seemed fine and kids like those. I figured I would try this first. We already eat a lot organic, trying to do more organic snacks that I hate to spend the money on. I still have to find margarine/butter without preservatives. I also found bread to be bad too and have never made a great one that the kids like homemade.. I need to find wraps that are ok, also want to see if I can make them on my own. Would love to learn to make bagels on my own, tried it once and failed. I only need 8 more hours in a day! I am hoping I don't have to move to those salicylates, that would be really hard. But one thing I noticed is that golden apples are lower, maybe try switching to those plus they are sweeter, I am switching to those since we eat a ton of apples around here. Slow changes, if I try to do too much I will lose it. Another good day with Noah, he was with the sitter....thank god! I know what you mean about being worried about their behavior, I haven't had control over Ethan, my youngest since he was born. Can you see a social worker/therapist for some help? It is usually covered under insurance and definitely can be very helpful.
My mom used to bake the most delicious breads from this bread cookbook:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tassajara-Bre ... bread+book

The book is quite old (2.50 for a used copy!!) and doesnt look like much, but the breads were delicious. There was one that had cheese in it, and if memory serves me the honey wheat was really good too. It looks like there are newer editions, but this is the copy I recall that my mom had.

I did read on the link that you posted that golden apples are lower. Im going to look for those the next time I buy apples. We are so hooked on Fuji apples, only to read on that chart that they are one of the highest for salicylate!!

If I have the time, and energy, after the kids go to bed, Im going to look into this book that I just received and see if there are any butter or margarine suggestions. Ill post if I find any. I wasnt aware that butter and margarine had preservatives! Go figure!! DId that blog of the feingold shopping list have any butter or margarine on it?

Pink
Last edited by Pinkdandelion on July 6th, 2012, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.